My $32.50 shotgun.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

My $32.50 shotgun.

Post by gamekeeper »

The 12 gauge Cooey S/B 30" full choke with a forearm that kept falling off has been a simple but interesting project. It cost me 25 quid that's $32.50 in real money and after several attempts to fix the wayward forearm I found a used replacement that seems so far to be okay, I cut the barrel to 25" and my local gun dealer who I stole it off offered to reinstall the bead sight, I didn't really like where he put it so another half inch came off the barrel. Then I was back to having no front sight, not having the tools necessary to drill and tap it myself I ordered a Hi Viz tactical fiber optic sight, cost me almost as much as the gun but it not only works but the cut out on the front of the sight where the bead should fit now gives me a perfect alinement to drill and tap for a new brass bead, so it looks like I will have to spend yet more money. :lol:
I have already taken one deer using #1 buck without having any sights so now I might start to make a profit on my $32.50 investment.
IMG_20200804_191655.jpg
Click to enlarge. The flowers by the way are Arizona Sun.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My $32.50 shotgun.

Post by 2ndovc »

I'll bet that new sight is a bit easier to see. :D
Have fun!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Jason, it's almost too bright..... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:09 pm Jason, it's almost too bright..... :lol:
Nice one John -- "function wins" over funds spent.

To cut the brightness, cover half the fiber-optic pipe with a small piece of black electrical tape -- or color it with a Sharpie for something more semi-permanent.

Good huntin'! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

send it over here, I'll be more than happy to drill & tap it for you. And if ya really want ill put choke tubes in, port it, install a recoil pad and a trigger job !

:D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:27 pm send it over here, I'll be more than happy to drill & tap it for you. And if ya really want ill put choke tubes in, port it, install a recoil pad and a trigger job !

Why that's real nice of you Gunny but I have a feeling this old gun would end up costing me more than a new Beretta.... :lol:

Darryl good idea with the tape, I'll see how it shoots first, it may be distracting if I stare at the sight instead of the target...I just took it though the woods as the sun here is setting and it is still pretty bright. I tried it out even later and it would be perfect for evening duck shooting, something I haven't had a chance to do for quite a while.
I think it would be useful on a home defense shotgun as long as there is some light source, I took into complete darkness and as expected couldn't see it.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've also got some glow in the dark paint!! :lol:
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

GunnyMack wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:41 pm I've also got some glow in the dark paint!! :lol:
Now you tell me ! I could have just dipped the muzzle in it...... :?
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

My Mother won a single shot 12ga H&R in the mid-60s and gave it to me.....It was one of those 36 Full Choke cannons.....I promptly shortened it to about 18-19 inches and never had a sight installed. It's taken dozens of squirrels. Low brass only :shock: :o I shot a magnum round in it once, and it recoiled so hard the forearm came off in my hand, and my right arm was useless for a couple hours....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Yes mine does kick a bit thankfully it's only 2 3/4 " not 3"..... :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Those fiberoptic sights are good once you have the right amount covered with electrical tape. Short barrels, well, not much experience with them.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Blaine wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:49 pm My Mother won a single shot 12ga H&R in the mid-60s and gave it to me.....It was one of those 36 Full Choke cannons.....I promptly shortened it to about 18-19 inches and never had a sight installed. It's taken dozens of squirrels. Low brass only :shock: :o I shot a magnum round in it once, and it recoiled so hard the forearm came off in my hand, and my right arm was useless for a couple hours....
If you load up those H&R 12 gauges with either the Agulia of Federal mini shells they are a pure joy to shoot. Aguila makes them in buckshot, slugs, and 7 1/2 shot. I'm not sure about the full Federal line up even though I have a box of the 7 1/2s.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

John - Cost you 25 quid how long ago?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:01 pm John - Cost you 25 quid how long ago?
February this year...
You can buy a Baikal single barrel 12 gauge for 10 quid infact I know people who will give them away free :o My Stevens 16 gauge only cost me 40 quid and my Cooey .410 60 quid. Nobody loves the lowly single shot anymore, gun snobbery is now widespread across the UK. In my job at Westley Richards and as a Gamekeeper I have had the opportunity to use guns worth many thousands of pounds but have never had the desire to own one. All the moderately priced Guns I have ever owned have either been sold or given to my son. I'm lucky enough to hunt everyday if I want too and my cheap old single barrel shotguns and my Winchester 9422 do just fine, I even have a cheap Magtech for plinking.... :D
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

My first shotgun was a 20 gauge Iver Johnson my dad gave me when I was twelve. I shot a few deer plus rabbits and pheasants with it. Now I have some expensive shotguns and no longer hunt.
I recall being in Mexico and a old Mexican-Apache proudly showed me a old single barrel shotgun. It was really well used and banged up and many wouldn't have picked it out of a trash barrel. He was as proud of it like we would be with a fine Parker!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Booger Bill wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:46 pm My first shotgun was a 20 gauge Iver Johnson my dad gave me when I was twelve. I shot a few deer plus rabbits and pheasants with it. Now I have some expensive shotguns and no longer hunt.
I recall being in Mexico and a old Mexican-Apache proudly showed me a old single barrel shotgun. It was really well used and banged up and many wouldn't have picked it out of a trash barrel. He was as proud of it like we would be with a fine Parker!
Bill, maybe I'm related to that Apache.... :lol: