Done

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
piller
Posting leader...

Re: So Much For, "Buy a 9mm Cause You Can Always Find Ammo For It"

Post by piller »

In addition to that, 9mm is not what I would consider a hunting round.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

All of that said, I still buy 9mm ball in quantity if it's cheap enough. :)

-Stretch
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

In desperate times it is advisable to own a firearm that fires the same ammunition as the enemy....also an excuse to buy more firearms.... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Too bad that the Medusa revolver was discontinued due to low sales volume. Right now it would be useful.
D. Brian Casady
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

stretch wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:07 pm All of that said, I still buy 9mm ball in quantity if it's cheap enough. :)

-Stretch
this ^ i just dollar cost average into ammo stock because sometimes it is cheaper

for example, when bird shot goes on sale at wal- for two bits per round, I buy a case or two.

I dump the shot and load a 69cal round ball and presto, 12 ga slug. I can melt the shot and cast the slug
when I get in a casting mood, and still have slugs for around 30c...

same thing with the dirty thirty, I dollar cost averaged into that for years. wal- used to carry
the ZQ turkish nato rounds, and I would buy a few every time I saw them. for years. and cheap
GS mags, where I store my ammo finds. could I load it? sure but I don't reload any rounds, except 45acp, that I expect to be battle field pick ups. I like to reload 44mag and 45/70, and sometimes 357, and 12ga by using new components already assembled... and since trigger time is trigger time, nowadays I shoot .17 pellets from my springer, and .22 when I'm out in the woods. AR15 it's rare that I will shoot an entire mag on an outing...

but Steve has a point, to a point. reloading is a big part of his hobby. I'm not really a hobby shooter. After I knock a steel plate with a 525gr hard cast slow load a couple of times, I save the 100 or so that are left for "next time"... or next deer or next bear charge. it will be the same with the AR50... I will develop a load that kills the jugs and fire wood the way I like. And save the rest for "next time"...
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

COSteve wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:21 am It's easier to stock up in good buying times on components vs ammo as the prices of the components is less. That way you can lock in the price so that when a panic sets in, you aren't forced to pay inflated prices for ammo. You just make it as you use it. Simple as that.
+ a whole bunch :mrgreen:

Been my motto for over 50 years!
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I remember in the Obama era during the hording, that 9mm was a little scarce, but not as bad as .22 rimfire ammo. 40 cal Smith and Wesson was fairly plentiful, as well as 30/30 and a lot of normally less popular or even sort of obsolete calibers could be found. I buy 9mm also, but it's not my favorite caliber by a long stretch and could reload a lot of the other pistol rounds, out of my stash for a long time, but I think sometimes its a good idea to have several guns chambered in lots of different rounds, that way when ammo is located you will have a gun that will shoot it. It might not be you favorite gun or caliber but at that point, as long as it shoots, you're not out of a gun or ammo.

One rifle caliber I have hung onto, is my 350 Remington Mag because one can load any .357 dia bullet, from rifle bullets to pistol bullets. If you handload, this round, even thought it basically obsolete as far as factory ammo goes, but can be handloaded to do about anything and really, when you count up the pistol bullets, cast bullets, etc. It will shoot a lot of different bullets.

Of course it's not the only caliber you can do that with. 358 Winchester another one, and there are others.
NRA Life Member, Patron
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

but I think sometimes its a good idea to have several guns chambered in lots of different rounds, that way when ammo is located you will have a gun that will shoot it.
Lots of wisdom there, methinks. Having a selection of firearms in popular calibers means that you'll
probably always have enough ammo for something. I reload for some less than popular calibers as well,
so there's always something to shoot. Of course, you might some 10mm, or 41 Mag, or 35 Remington
still on the shelf when everything else is gone.

-Stretch
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

which 350 do you have. or three fifties. I passed one up when I shouldn't oughta have . what's the smiley for "ooops" ?

to Stretch's point, I have some 40 pistol ammo, and no glock. not buying any 40 pistols, but you never know when a drop gun might show up
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Not much a ‘pistol caliber levergun’ in 357 Mag, 44 Mag, or 45 Colt can’t do, and combined with a CCW/hunting handgun you cover all but rhinos and air assaults.

I dearly miss my friend who got his 45 Colt Blackhawk the same year I got my Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag; we spent our senior year in high school reloading and arguing best caliber.

He’s probably looking down from heaven snickering about the silly lightweight 265 grain bullets I still shoot in my 44 Mags ... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I carey a Glock 19 in the summer months. I have a bunch of my carry ammo and don't let myself get below 1k rounds of ball practice ammo. While I can load 9mm on my Dillon, I don't load 9. It didn't pay before, and isn't worth it if you have to.
When loading or buying in bulk, only ball is really viable.
This is the 9mm's downfall, because 9mm ball is useless.
That is why I do load 45acp. It is at least serviceable in ball configuration.
I agree with Steve on the .357's utility. When factoring the cost and quantity of components, for what you get out of it, it is a fantastic cartridge. The other often overlooked advantage is it is very compact. A lot can be stored or carried with little weight or volume. This also one if the biggest reasons I don't mess with shotguns much as far as stocking.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

35 Remington is .358, but it could probably use .357 bullets. I haven't tried it that way. My 7mm-08 is sort of a different caliber. It is easy to find 7mm bullets, and brass from Remington and Winchester on .308 are both not too thick in the neck to work. Military brass is too thick, and I do not have a neck turning tool. One of these days.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've always thought 9 was a bit lacking, that's why I have a 40. And more than a few thousand rounds.
Now having 9mm Ammo on hand just so you can feed a 'pick up' is a good idea.
I keep a minimum of 100 rounds for everything I own. Problem is everything is different so I've got tons of ammo but need my pickup to haul it around!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

piller wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:03 pm Too bad that the Medusa revolver was discontinued due to low sales volume. Right now it would be useful.
Interesting revolver, one I hadn't heard about. https://youtu.be/HkUJ2EuTNE0
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Your title generally holds true, but like everything else, there are exceptions to the rule. Right now is unfortunately one of those "exception to the rule" times.
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

And I've got a Ruger Speed Six .357 that also chambers 38 acp/super as long as it has .355" bullets stuck in the cases! :shock:
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Recently I shot some cans of dog food that were 10 years old with some new shooters the other day. The difference between a 9BPLE out of a SA-DM9 vs Speer LE 38 spl Gold Dot +P out of a Smith 4” was freaking amazing. The 9BPLE absolutely turned the cans inside out. Covered us with dog food 10 yards away. The Speers did a nice job putting a split up the backside of the cans- only a little bit better than Precision One 380s out of a P3AT.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Oh, and Precision One has plenty of 9 available
Kind regards,
Tycer
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Can you shoot the 9BPLE in even the little pocket 9’s without screwing the gun up...?

If so they should be good medicine for 2-legged predators.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Grizz wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:17 pm which 350 do you have. or three fifties. I passed one up when I shouldn't oughta have . what's the smiley for "ooops" ?

to Stretch's point, I have some 40 pistol ammo, and no glock. not buying any 40 pistols, but you never know when a drop gun might show up
I have a Remington 700 Classic in 350 Rem Mag. I think they only made it one year, 1987.
NRA Life Member, Patron
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

All popular ammo is out of stock now, so no surprise the 9mm is low. But why buy some oddball caliber that you might find ammo somewhere for today? If you do find ammo for less common calibers it's always low in stock, whether there's a run or not. And it's always more expensive, regardless.
None of this makes sense to me? I'll still keep my 9mm and .45 ACP guns, just because they'll be the first ammo to get back on the shelves when things calm down. Only difference is I might start loading my 9mm now, where in the past I just saved the brass, but didn't reload it. I've always had dies, bullets, and molds for my 9mm, but never used them much.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Lastmohecken wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:54 pm
Grizz wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:17 pm which 350 do you have. or three fifties. I passed one up when I shouldn't oughta have . what's the smiley for "ooops" ?

I have a Remington 700 Classic in 350 Rem Mag. I think they only made it one year, 1987.
thanks. I looked at a Remington 600 Magnum Carbine in .350 with a friend prior to leaving for Alaska. She wound up with a 600 carbine in 308, which has taken lots of deer.

eventually I got a Remington 700 in 7mm mag. I would have liked that .350, but passed. After all, I had a Winchester 30-30! Heh
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Yeah, I have some oddball calibers like 10mm, 45 Colt, .357 Magnum, and .22 Magnum that are usually in stock. Enough 9mm to fit my needs for a while. I only have 1 revolver and 1 semiauto in .45 ACP, so I don't need more than 5,000 rounds of it in stock. Here in Texas, that is sort of considered to be a small amount.
D. Brian Casady
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

AJMD429 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:42 pm Can you shoot the 9BPLE in even the little pocket 9’s without screwing the gun up...?

If so they should be good medicine for 2-legged predators.
It’s loaded right at the top of SAAMI spec for 9mm. My XDm handles it fine. My friend had to send his new Sig 938 back for repair after 5 rounds.
Kind regards,
Tycer
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I one time got some 9mm ammo from Houston Cartridge Company. I shot it in my Daughter's Kahr. Had to send the Kahr in for repair. I used the same batch of ammo in my Ruger P85, and the brass split with a lot more recoil and smoke than expected. Every one of the rounds split the brass. I fired 1 magazine full out of it. I guess I am a slow learner when it comes to signs of over pressure ammunition. The P85 gave no trouble with it. When I noticed the brass had all split, I finally got the message. Not sure which powder they used, but it seemed to be too much.
D. Brian Casady
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

After the gun/ammo void in 2008, If you didn't see this coming last year...well, Prior Planning Prevents Pi.ss Poor Performance.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV