Range time with the '85

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Range time with the '85

Post by 2ndovc »

Beautiful morning for a trip to the range, 75 and sunny. Finally a short break from the heat and humidity.

You guys were spot on, the Browning likes the slower moving, 250 LSWCs. The sights are going to take a little monkeying around. The rear sight elevator is loose when set at the lowest spot and the tang sight is way too tall for 50 yds. I need to make up some more of the lighter loads and move back to 100 yds and see what it will do. I'd like to try some 300 grain cast bullets as well. I have several boxes of 300 gr XTPs loaded pretty hot that shot a pretty good group, but really low. Not that it really matters, the lighter loads are much more fun to shoot.
I's on paper for now, just a little tweaking and I'll be a happy camper. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Range time with the '85

Post by Pitchy »

Sure is purdy jb, glad ya had a great day of shooting. :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Had to look in my safe to make sure mine was there!!!
Alas, all is well. I typically use a 220 grain RFN or a 225 grain TC. The 225 TC cast is for BP, as it holds a LOT of lube. Somewhere around here are my notes on velocities... yep, I found it... my 6.5 grains of RedDot yielded an ave of 781.16 fps. Easy loads for not damaging steel targets.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks Griff, you might want to check on your spotting scope too. I have the same one.
I enjoy trying different loads and coming up with the best combination for a particular rifle.

Lenn,
Thank you for the nice words. It's back in the 90's again so I'll have time to make up some more ammo. Though business is picking up and I may get really busy, right quick. :D

jb 8)

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

No, Elmer Keith was right about SWC's :mrgreen: Have you shot 10mm/40 Blackhawk yet? Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Does your tang sight have a stop pin to set zero with? Some people used a pin ground to length so that when bottomed out it was zeroed. Grind to fit and zero it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

3leggedturtle wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:45 pm No, Elmer Keith was right about SWC's :mrgreen: Have you shot 10mm/40 Blackhawk yet? Todd
I did and I swear that bugger kicks as much as .44s! That's another one I need to work on some new loads. All I had was some factory 10mms.

Malamute,

The sight does have a set screw at the bottom. I was thinking about shortening it but want to play around with some different loads and longer ranges first.

jb 8)

Galloway
Levergunner

Post by Galloway »

Wonderful rifle! Sorry to hear of you sight woes, I get upset when im over a grand on a rifle, only to find all that quality wasted because the sights are useless. So like the mfg will tell you, ''Good luck you'll get it sighted in!" :D :D