Scales made for A.G. Russell K87 knives?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Scales made for A.G. Russell K87 knives?

Post by Naphtali »

I have acquired four Russell K87-CW folding knives to give to my nephew and three great nephews, I seek to have scales made for them. I talked with A.G. Russel's customer service — the obvious place to have them installed, since K87 series is in current production in Italy. Unfortunately, Russell receives current production with scales except for one special scales' set. They do not have scales and screw fasteners available for original production knives.

I have one K87 with scales that could be used as a template. But I need someone capable of replicating this on the others. I request CONTACT information for completing this job.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Scales made for A.G. Russell K87 knives?

Post by GunnyMack »

Can't be all that difficult, but as I'm not familiar with what these knives are what I suggest is trying to find a local knife maker for guidance.

The screws are more than likely metric, that could pose the biggest problem since they are tiny.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

No issue with screws. I, perhaps, was less clear than I need to be. K87s are childishly simple frame lock knives that must be exceptionally difficult to manufacture. Frame, lock, and lock spring are one piece of steel. Apparently, a second rate job manufacturing translates to unacceptable. Russell subtitles the ambidextrous K87s as "one-hand knives."

To install scales, I would insert a piece of metal about .125 inch thick, replacing blade thickness, to prevent springing the thin sides of the frame. (Probably the blade and hinge assembly need not be removed. Having blade locked open should be adequate clearance for the machine work.) Drill and tap each screw location, both sides in one pass to drill each hole. Scales require scant profiling beyond emulating shape of frame and, perhaps, slight contouring for grip comfort. The result is a K87 with scales. Neither scales nor screws need be original or current K87 devices. The knives are more comfortable to use with scales. Without, they are too thin.
In the universe of pocket knives that "punch above their weight," the knives for the kids are near the top.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Got me curious as to what they look like... 8)
KLC11554_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

Except for blades' material, you have a photograph of original and second generation K87s. Unusually large blade in small overall size.
gamekeeper wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:35 pm Got me curious as to what they look like...