New/used Browning 1885

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

New/used Browning 1885

Post by 2ndovc »

I've been wanting one of these for some time, just never in the right place at the right time. I always loved the looks of the Low Walls and thought one in .45 Colt would be fun. This one was something of a safe queen, not fired more than a box or two but banged around in the safe a bit. There's some scratches and dents in the stocks. Looking forward to getting out to the range, but it's stuck in the 90s around here lately so it's going to have to wait a bit.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Re: New/used Browning 1885

Post by crs »

Looks like fun.

A hunting buddy uses similar Browning in 30-06 and had killed a bunch with it. He even used it on our plains game trip to RSA and did very well- never needed a second shot.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

Ewwwwwwwwww Purdy Purdy :mrgreen:
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I like that. Would be nice with a threaded device on the end.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Wow thats great and slim looking. Nice Keith typeSWC at 900-1100fps....
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
TomF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TomF »

Killin me!!! 45 Colt is my favorite levergun. Always wanted an 1885. Interested in your range results. The Lee255rf and unique have accounted for many axis and several wtd. Nice looking gun.
Last edited by TomF on Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Nice. Should be fun in .45 Colt. One of my favorite calibers and very versatile.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Monday is looking good for some range time. I have a pretty good assortment of .45 Colt handloads to start with. I have several boxes of LWSC 255s loaded for my Uberti Schofield.
I'll post some pictures sometime Monday.

jb 8)

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I could not agree more with you....there's something about an 1885 in a pistol cartridge that's so much of a pleasure to work with. First, you can load it without restrictions....if it'll fit, it'll fire......round balls, pointed bullets, seated out, seated in , etc.with it being usually more accurate than a repeater combined with the simplicity of the gun makes for a joyous day. When shooting it's more natural to take your time in hitting what you want to hit.....with the longer barrels on single shots the report is mild when below the speed of sound

No, I wouldn't want it against a crowd of protesters but for a walk in the woods, a day at the club, or just admiring, it can't be beat. I've been shooting this built in 1909 Low Wall in 32-20 with a special order 28" part rd/oct. barrel a lot in the last year.......785 rounds.....3.5 grains of 231 and a 115 gr. Lyman g.c.at 1100 will hit clay birds every shot out to 150-175 yards. It still does good even past 200 but becomes very susceptible to minor changes in the wind. Installed an MVA 36" scope in the dovetails.....no alternations to the gun....--Jay Bird

Nicknack
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Nicknack »

Here is my old Winchester Low Wall in 32-20 which has a relined bore and it shoots very accurately, mine has "THE STINGER" marking from Winchester that was rolled marked for Perry Brothers of Brisbane Queensland Australia (where I hail from) Perry Brothers were a Hardware Mercantile store.
I love my little low Wall and the history behind mine,
Regards Dallas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's dead easy to die; it's the keeping on living that's hard - Douglas Mawson - Scientist and polar survivor
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I love to have one the 22lr versions of the low wall
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I was actually looking at a Low Wall in .22 Magnum when I came across the .45 Colt.

Love to have an original in .32-20! One of my all time favorite cartridges. I bought my first '92 at an auction while I was still in college and that $432 was every last penny I had in my checking account. I can still hear the Ex screaming about what is probably a $1500 rifle now. :D

jb 8)

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are