No cashiers at Lowes, Home Depot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

No cashiers at Lowes, Home Depot

Post by gcs »

So I'm ready to check out, walk up to the cashiers and this curly haired ginger said I had to use the self check out, wasn't all that nice about it either.

Now I've never used a self check out, or paid with a credit card in one of these check out thingees. So I'm trying to figure out the process and it's peeing me off, made a couple mistakes and finally jammed the thing up. Now i'm starting to call the machine bad names and this other "cashier" comes over, I have to scan his badge and he resets it. Ok, fine.
I get to the payment and press cash, now I have to figure out which way to put the money in, and it keeps rejecting the bill. The ginger shows up and yells that the money must be "pristine" for the reader to read it. So now I'm trying to smooth the bills and get them scanned. Finally, after 5 times the time spent just handing a cashier some money and getting out the building I'm finished. I then notice other people having similar problems, plus the fact that I'm handling this equipment that everyone else handled and now there's no cashier to clean anything. But! They have several "helpers" hanging around to fix the machines when they crash.

So now we have to find the product, check it out ourselves, hope we don't get cooties, and still pay normal price. If they had said, "we threw all our cashiers under the bus, but we can now save you 5%" I could sorta get behind this.

Anyway... thats my rant for the day, hope yours was better.... :|
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: No cashiers at Lowes, Home Depot

Post by Shasta »

I'm with you on this self checkout BS. They are literally forcing you to be an employee without pay. Our Home Depot and Lowe's stores really push this, but I play the ignorant old man card and force their "guard dog" to check me out.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'm in these stores 2-3 times a week minimum. If you know what you need, call it in to the Pro/ Contractor (even if your not a contractor) desk a day or two ahead and pay for it over the phone. Lowes will even bring it out to your vehicle. It can't also be done online for instore pick up. Lowe's is also very good at that too. just call when you get there, give them your name, show them a printed receipt or the conformation email on your phone and away you go. Menards isn't as good at it. Their website stinks and they constantly get the order wrong, then you have to go to farthest point in the store from the front door and start all over again. Last time I ordered something at Menards, the order was right and ready to be picked up. Four states away! :shock:

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

The big retailers are trying to get us to use these self checkout lanes more and more.

I simply refuse.

Not only are you taking someone's job away, they don't sanitize those things between
customers. And they always, always, always have problems.

The fastest way to check out is cash. Exact change is the quickest. Credit cards can
be okay if all the stars are in alignment, but systems are frequently slow, and some
people are just brain-dead. Others have expired cards, or cards over the limit.
Checks take a LOOOOOONG time.

Rant over.... :roll:

-Stretch
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Our Home Depot is trying to force feed self checkout also.
One recent trip there I'm standing in the virus waiting line, and the checker gal comes up and asks me if I'm paying cash or credit, and when I said "cash" she walks me over to the self service, and simply walks away! Now I'm standing there scratching my head for a few minutes when she returns to see what's going on. I tell her I don't work here, so checking isn't my job. Of course she cops an attitude, and begins to tell me how easy it is. I told her if it's so easy, why doesn't she just do it?
Eventually she does each step, and then turns to me and says, "There, now do you know how to do it?" I replied, "No, I wasn't paying attention, because I don't work here, and don't need a job here."

So now I grab my parts, and I head to the contractor checkout line, where they still have humans who get paid to check out. I refuse to learn to check out my parts unless they plan to give me at least a 10% discount for doing it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

It's an old guy thing.......at Home Depot I've been approached several times to use the self checkout line. I say, "sure, if you show me how to do it and walk me through each step of the way, if not I'll go to the regular line." . So, that's what they do, they do it all for me and the only thing I have to do is put the loot in the cash machine......no different than the regular line.

Plus, if your forced/coerced into the self checkout line, always use big bills. I always pull out my wad and tell them hundreds is all I have and the machine takes em.....then I use the little bitty twenties to get gas and such. To get your way is easy...just make it aggravating for them...take up their time, ask questions, ask for double bags..etc....next time they see you they won't ask you to use the self check out line.

Just play stupid...who cares what they think after you leave. I've told the girls outright several times I'm too old to jump over a new learning curve and I'll just leave everything right here if I have to do anything for myself. It's YOUR money they want....just as easy to go 2 miles down the road to another store.

Remember back in the day when companies would do anything for your business....check your oil, clean the windshield? Well, they have young people who run these big corporations today and they will sacrifice loyalty for a dime...your call ----6
Last edited by Sixgun on Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Model A Uzi’s
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Our big grocery/general store has had self check out lanes for several/many years. Actually, it's no big deal. They are mostly used by folks that have a few items and don't care to stand in line behind the lady that has just did her grocery shopping for the month. Of course these modern check out methods need to be learned how to be used (2 1/2 minutes?). Vending machines that accept bills have been around for a very long time and nearly everyone that has ever tried to use one knows that you can't take that wrinkled old bill out of your shoe and expect the machine to read it immediately. Paying by debit card is as simple as inserting a card in a slot and entering a number on the key pad, don't even have to "swipe" the card anymore either (and about 1/10 the time of paying by cash and having to deal with a "cashier" that can't count change). I don't know about others but I have been doing that for many, many years (I used my first ATM machine in the early '80s). Of course there are some items that are a bit slower to checkout, like multiple items that need to be weighed, but that too is just a matter of reading instructions posted on the machine. If I go into a store and believe I'm "forced" to use a self check out because the store is trying to screw me then of course I'll fight the machine and have trouble. (BTW if one is seeing this thread, then they at least know the "digital" basics of using a computer and a self check out is easier, just consists of picking up an item, looking for the bar code and wiping it across a screen). My small town is often called a "65-65" town; sixty-five percent of the population is over 65 years old and a very high number of locals use the self check out lanes quite easily, even the '80 year old grannies...

I would go through all the "trouble" of using a self check out rather than have my purchase prices raised to pay the mouth breather the new $15.00 minimum wage.

I remember the first 50 years of my driving career using the self serve gas pumps and either using cash or debit/credit cards and a self check out is no more difficult than that, unless I think the store is out to screw me.

I'm just an old man, not a new age snowflake and if I offended anyone, oh well...
Last edited by mikld on Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I'm getting close to Old fanny burp territory myself, but I actually prefer the self scan lanes at the grocery store. I'm far more efficient and mindful at packing the bags, and doing it myself that's two fewer sets of possibly infections fingers (cashier and bagger) touching my goods. Unless I have to key in a quantity number, I never have to touch any of their screens, and if I do, so what, cash is filthy and so are the shopping carts, so just be sure to assume the worst and wash your hands.

At Wal-Mart, I can always get through quicker in the self-scan line. At Lowe's I usually go through a cashier but only because the self scan lines are at the end of the store where the parking lot is always crowded (and the lines longer).

Regarding cash, I rarely have trouble with the machines recognizing it, but it helps to let the machine drag a bill out of your fingers, pulling out some of the wrinkles in doing so. If there is a problem, just insert the card.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I usually do the grocery shopping and our Kroger usually two and some times three regular cashiers working. They have a bunch of self checkouts and I won't use them unless I'm in a big hurry and the regular lines are long. There is a young lady that takes care of the self checkers and she will check your items for you if look older or I think that's why she does it. Maybe I just look stupid, because it sure aint my good looks. If I wanted to run a cash register I would put in an application is how I look at it.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

Ha!I used to be down on the self checkout until I got in line behind a woman buying 13 gift cards to pay 13 different bills by mail. Kept telling the cashier her life story of why she couldn't get a checking account. Nope, I'll self checkout every time and get my Cabela bucks for ammo purchases too.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

No matter the store, if there's the least little PITA, they end up with a pile of stuff that I would have purchased left sitting where the PITA occured.

There are plenty of places to shop. I don't need to put up with any cr@p.

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Larkbill »

FWiedner wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:48 am No matter the store, if there's the least little PITA, they end up with a pile of stuff that I would have purchased left sitting where the PITA occured.

There are plenty of places to shop. I don't need to put up with any cr@p.

:lol:
I hear you, but I already had too much time invested and was on a mission for the war department so failure was not an option.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Hmmm. I wonder if any of the "anti-self check" fellers engage in that much more complicated, time consuming process of reloading? :shock:

I was surprised to hear all the "I refuse!" posts for such a simple process. Or are the antis encouraging the stores to pay the $15.00 minimum wage? While I don't go to the fast food joints in town many are beginning to replace the burger flipping college grads with kiosks and there's even a pizza house that has a call ahead service where the pizza is in an oven when the customer gets there. Only interaction with a human is via telephone. Sometimes I'll use self check option so I don't have to deal with a human (or when I don't feel like flirting with a pretty cashier). Grab an item, look on the bottom for the bar code, swipe the item across the screen, drop it in a grocery bag all in one swift motion. Then insert my card, grab the receipt and go. About as much of a hassle as using an ATM...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
xerts1191
Levergunner

Post by xerts1191 »

Been awhile since I’ve posted anything on the site, but I’ll leave this here
5A2ADEC6-5CE7-4E72-965D-4D2421599B48.jpeg
Her hat says America was never that great!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

Well, I used to hate it too, but then I realized the less interaction with millennials, the better. Now I PURPOSELY look for the self scan lines. I always pay cash. And ZERO interaction with that self important entitled generation.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958