half inch AR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

half inch AR

Post by Grizz »

I have a half inch caliber upper from bear creek arsenal, and a spare half inch barrel. my project is to cut down the 10.5" barrel and remove the flash hider. I don't need it 'cause I keep my eyes closed until I hear the bullet strike. but anyway, the question I want to explore is, how much barrel does the 50 need to operate? The longer barrel with pistol gas gives more time for gas to slap the bolt back. so, what is the minimum length of barrel past the gas port required to operate the AR action? AND how does that change with caliber and velocity factors?

I hope someone has the info or a link to it.

Or a good story to tell about the guy who cut his 50cal barrel a quarter inch too short to cycle the action . . . I guess I could weld something together . . .

are we having fun yet? what could be more fun while the red triangle is rampaging than to refine the half-inch-AR?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: half inch AR

Post by AJMD429 »

I suppose you could always fix it if you go too-short by drilling a new gas-port further rearward....

But all that changes timing and stuff, so I can see why you want to check it out better. You might even try writing Alexander Arms.....???

I think one could make a case for a side-charging AR-pistol in 50 Beowulf as the ultimate home-defense firearm. Not much mid and large size game you couldn't hunt with it, either, especially with the proper arm-brace.

I have the factory muzzle-brake on my Beowulf rifle - just cuz it looks cool.... :D

....wow - this one doesn't have the 'PhotoBucket' banner over it that labels me as a derelict unpaid subscriber - someday I'll figure out how to renew my PhotoBucket account. Can't log in to 'upgrade' though.... :roll:

I still can't get over some of the bullets you showed in https://levergunscommunity.org/viewtopi ... =1&t=76113...gotta try some of those in my 500 S&W Levergun someday.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

It's Bouquet! Photo Bouquet! If Sheridan were here, he would be properly apalled.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

hmmm, side-charging pistol? So, mine will look something like your carbine with a plain jane crowned muzzle somewhere in front of the pic rail gas block. that somewhere is my question. I'm getting rid of the alum grip and possibly making a wood one that would look like yours, only combloc red, just because . . . I can

I'm getting rid of the flash hider because hunting pistols don't need 'em . . .

I might start with a 300BO upper and swap in the 7.5" 762x39 barrel for a start on the half-inch pistol project
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I need to get dies for my .458 SoCom project gun. It is all put together, but not yet fired. Brass and dies are going to be acquired soon. I already have some powder that is listed as working for it. Some .458 bullets for my .45-70 are listed as working well. I know that it is not a big half inch wide, but it is not all that far away. Big thumpers, short guns or rifles, have long been used for stopping those things which need to be stopped.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

here's the pair, or perhaps they prefer 'couple' ?? so, if I leave them in there for 9 months, will their offspring be a one-inch-AR ? :?: ? :?:

or do their "gender preferences" actually have nothing to do with "preferences" OR "outcomes" ? [get it?]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

@piller, I stalled for quite a while trying to decide between the 458 and the 50. 45/70 is my all time most favored caliber, and the 458 might have some technical advantages, like BC, maybe.

if you're getting younger every day there's no hurry . . . :wink:

I finally decided to enlarge my caliber range because, well, why not ? If the virus don't get me right away I have a fun project to distract me from everything else, and if a virus do get me, my offsprings will have fun projects to distract Them. :roll:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Keep in mind the ejection port may be larger on the Beowulf. I know they don't come with ejection port covers, but unsure if that is because the port is non-standard or what.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "