iPhones....?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

iPhones....?

Post by AJMD429 »

Looking to go to an iPhone since I use a Mac.

My kids have iPhone 6S and iPhone 8's - and like them in general.

I've heard the newer ones are less stable or something.

Any of you guys have experience with them or thoughts on ones to avoid or prefer...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: iPhones....?

Post by 2ndovc »

Doc,

We upgraded to the iPhone 11X Pro Max about 8-9 months ago. We've had no problems so far. The camera and video capabilities are fantastic and it is water resistant up to one meter. I rarely drop my phone and have never broken one but the one time I dropped the 11X was right into a 5 gal bucket of water. Took the case off, shook the water off and wiped it down. Zero issues. I was pretty impressed.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

COSteve wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:03 am Apple's new iPhone SE at $399 is a pretty sweet deal.
No offense intended, but I'm surprised. You really dislike the idea of Apple I-Macs..... To me, I-Phones are like that...over-priced, and very expensive, and hard to upgrade the memory.
I will say, though, that the people that have them would never give them up....I just spent WAY too much for a nice LG...I might have gone with that SE had it been available at the time.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Transition may be easy for you, since you've already a foot in the apple world

Longtime android (decades) but wife and I got a great deal from Verizon on some Xs's

So far, no major issues. Stealing a quote, 'everything in the apple world is ridiculously easy, or impossible'.

We have very few apps, but use ours for texting, photos (apple image quality excellent) and some real phone calls

Hotspot feature works great. I have apple music mine also.

I like the fact I have an icloud account with everything backed up.

We kept our motorola droid turbos for almost eight years. so far these are holding up.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

COSteve wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:29 pm
Blaine wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:25 pm
COSteve wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:03 am Apple's new iPhone SE at $399 is a pretty sweet deal.
No offense intended, but I'm surprised. You really dislike the idea of Apple I-Macs..... To me, I-Phones are like that...over-priced, and very expensive, and hard to upgrade the memory.
I will say, though, that the people that have them would never give them up....I just spent WAY too much for a nice LG...I might have gone with that SE had it been available at the time.
Blaine, I think you have me confused with someone else. To my knowledge, I've never said I dislike the I-Macs. It's true, I'm a PC guy and happen to own a Google Pixel phone as does my wife and son, but my daughter has an iPhone and likes it.

I do agree that Apple products are over-priced but to each their own. I'm into whatever floats your boat on most tech stuff because it's your money and your choice. I just saw that Apple is competing with Google's eagerly awaited Pixel 4a which was originally due out in May but is slipping to ?? My Pixel is old and I'm waiting for the 4a myself.
Apple/PC and I-Phone/Android are always interesting conversations..... :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I thought that the iPhones running the 2019 or later software had some bug that drains the batteries in about an hour.....whatever happened to that...?
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

My daughter and I have the earlier SE model. I chose it because it was the smallest phone readily available. My wife and son have a Moto-G, chosen for the better bang for the buck. None of us are heavy cell phone users and have only basic TracFone pre-paid service for voice and data. As such I'm conscious of background data burn. Android is far worse in this regard. If you leave cellular data on, it will burn most of your daily allotment from TracFone just idling. The Apple will, too, but it's easier to shut off the garbage. I believe Google sets up Android to send back to them all manner of data to better allow them to target you with ads. Even after trying to shut off this stuff in Android, you get significant data burn. With the Apple it can be nearly insignificant, but it takes some fiddling with the Settings.

If you have lots of data per month on your plan, the Android phone is by far the better deal. The Apple hardware has proven more fragile, both for my daughter and her friends at school. My son notes his friends have mostly concluded Apple's are far more likely to crack a screen, and the reputation is the iPhone is for "stuck up white girls."

One problem with Android phones is most makers install quite a bit of bloatware, which adds to battery and data burn. Much of this can be uninstalled, of course. Motorola phones typically have little of this stuff. There is an Android label for phones which ship with the plain OS installed, and no bloatware--Pure Android I think it's called, but some phones call it "stock Android."

I heard of a 2019 power burn, but my SE does not display it. Once in a while, some process in iOS will start to use up battery, but a restart will fix this. Once configured, I charge my phone about three times a week, each time adding only about 40% to it. The SE has a tiny battery, and voice or cellular internet will run down the battery. When traveling, I may have to charge twice a day, but I never charge to 100% since this shortens the life of the battery. The new SE is closer to the 6 and will have more reserve, I think.

When it was still in the market, Windows Phone was superior to either Android or iOS, but it got a late start and died years ago.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

We switched from 7s to 11s (not S) almost a year ago. I use the fool out of this thing. Hardly ever open the MB pro anymore. I plug it in at night. If we’re driving and using Waze I plug it in cause the app is a battery drainer. I listen to podcasts, watch YouTube and listen to music many hours at a time. No battery challenges here. Great camera too.
D505B1C2-DAEE-4FCE-9991-2754E5F940C4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I decided on a new iPhone SE versus a used 8 plus. $200 more but the local Mac Experience will warranty it.

Wish me luck... :lol:

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

COSteve wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:53 amWhen Google comes out with an update, I get it on my phone in a week or two while a buddy with his Samsung has to wait a couple months while Samsung makes sure their junk works correctly with the update before they release their version of the update.
A good point, one which I should have made, too.

While the two Moto-G in my family work fine and were mostly free of bloatware, Motorola is worse than Samsung at software updates. After two years, forget it. You limp along with the old version and any security holes it has.

With Android, the hardware maker is responsible for updates. With google's own hardware, you'd think they'd be eager to update their software as often as Microsoft does with its OS software, but the google brand Android tablet we have was soon left unsupported. Then again, Apple is big for dropping support of devices they deem a "legacy," which means a few years old. My small SE still gets updates, and being based on the 6 should continue to do so for a while, but I have no illusions about Apple caring for my investment in one of their products.