Cast Bullet Load in 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Cast Bullet Load in 30-30

Post by Bridger »

I’m wanting to use 31.1 grains of Reloader 15 behind a 160 grain cast, flat nose, gas checked bullet in my 30-30. I’ve used that same load with 150 and 170 grain jacketed bullets plenty of times but I’m new to cast bullets in the 30-30. I’ve got a few other powders that may work better but I’m really wanting to use the RL-15. (Saving my unique and 2400 and trailboss for other calibers....)

Any thoughts? Is it safe? I’ve read you can use starting data for jacketed bullets with cast bullets of the same weight and this would be in that ballpark. But still, you guys are the experts on this and I want your feedback?

Thanks!
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Cast Bullet Load in 30-30

Post by Bridger »

If it would work better with this particular bullet I have some IMR 3031 I guess I could use instead of the RL-15.

- Winston Churchill
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Bridger, that would be a nice load pressure-wise but must churn up around 2000 fps velocity. Go ahead and give it a try: plenty of people get good accuracy with their 30 cals at that velocity but I am not one of them. I seem to get my acceptable accuracy more in the 1700 fps range which I would reach with something like 16 to 18 grains of 5744 (or these days, more likely 13 to 15 grains of Blue Dot). And your RL15 would be in that velocity range down toward 26 or 27 grains though I'm not sure how well it burns at that lower pressure level.

Before you try your cast bullet loads I'd give the rifle a good cleaning. It's not like you have to get her absolutely clear of any copper wash but you don't want any major build-ups of copper in there when you shoot your cast.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Thank you sir! I’ll clean it up good as you suggest.

Also, I’ll look into blue dot as well. That’s one of the few powders I can find locally. Or at least could.....

- Winston Churchill