Done

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
piller
Posting leader...

Re: The Pandemic - A Bit of Perspective

Post by piller »

Certainly puts things in perspective. My Great Uncle and Great Aunt did see most of that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Steve, best post of the month so far. Thanks
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I wasn't born until just before WWII but my parents came through the depression and believe me, they imprinted on me that having enough to eat was a big thing. I remember rationing and the draft (it got me). The little things like masks are nothing.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
vonfilm
Levergunner

Post by vonfilm »

My grandfather was born in 1900 and died in 1975. He certainly saw a lot of change. I remember him explaining how he made a living farming and moonshining in rural Colorado. He had 10 children, 3 are still living.
Rockrat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rockrat »

My Grandfather was born in 1897 and remembered the first cars and the Wright Brothers. All the way to the moon landing and beyond
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Grizz wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:59 pm Steve, best post of the month so far. Thanks
would say more like this entire year... :shock:
Merle from PA
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Great Post? I knew all of that stuff, but I am not sure I thought about it in that time line. Thinking about it, this really helps me understand, my parents and grandparents, and what shaped them.

I remember my dad telling me stories of his life, during the Thirties, and beyond. I remember him talking about how, when he was a child, his big wish was to be able to go into a store and have the money to buy anything he wanted to eat. This experience sort of colored his whole life. He was a farmer his whole life, and always very frugal, but he overbought and horded groceries the last half of his life, always keeping at least 2 large deep-freezes full, and also assorted canned goods, etc.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

smart man, storing food against crisis or famine. very smart man. don't you have a year's supplies of foods that keep and keep you alive?
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

My dad was born in 1904, and died in 1989. We often talked about all the good things and huge changes he'd seen in his life. Since I wasn't born until he was 46 yrs. old, a lot of those significant inventions, along with significant tragedies, happened well before my time. So I was curious how they not only affected him, but also how he saw them as they happened.
Being born in 1904 did have a huge effect on him as it concerns the two World Wars. He was too young for WWI, and too old for WWII, and he always regretted not going into the military when our country was at war. He tried to go in during WWII, but being over 40, and working as an electrician in the shipyard, he was denied entrance.
I think anyone who was born in the early 1900's saw such major changes in the USA, and likely bigger changes than anyone born in any other era will or has ever seen.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

One set of my grandparents were born 1900 and 1895 the other were born 1904 and 1906. My oldest grandmother was 91 and died that year. It's funny how different folks are affected from the same event. My "Granny" had eleven kids my "Grandma" had four kids. My Granny would save scraps for the family that had dogs and there were plenty of her children that had beagles for hunting when I was growing up. My Grandma never would let food go to dogs. She made sure all the food she fixed was ate, sometimes this took several days. She even refused to throw out food that was bad. I'm talking green meat bad. I never understood growing up why one would throw out old food and one wouldn't. Both families were poor farmers during the depression so wealth had nothing to do with it. But after growing up I understand more how people cope differently even going through the same experience.
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

My grand parents were all born within a year or so of 1900. They kept a large garden canned most everything they ate and never got too excited about turmoil in the world. Gramp went to work for his Dad in 1913 because a man quit the saw mill and his Dad said the family needs you. you have all the book learning you need. He was 2 weeks away from graduating the eighth grade.
At 16 the mill burned to the ground and they went to work at a engine manufacturer for 13.00 dollars a week.He lived frugal and died at 88 with 25 remaining acres and at little over 200 thousand in the bank.
My Dad born in 1922 never liked chicken dinners,I asked him why and he told me during the depression his Mom kept 250 egg layers. They couldn't pay for themselves no one could afford to buy eggs, so eggs were stored in water glass and 13 hens a day canned. (that's how many she could get done between her normal chores) Dad said I've had my quota of chicken!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Ed that's odd about the eggs. My dad grew up in Kentucky and he said his parents used eggs for barter in their community. No one had much money for anything but they bartered for things needed to live.