Suppressed 22LR

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Suppressed 22LR

Post by 6pt-sika »

I bought a 22LR suppressor about five months ago and sent the paperwork in right away so it oughtta come to me in October or November . I’d been looking at CZ 452 and 453 Varmints that were factory threaded with walnut stocks and I let them all get away as they didn’t make a lot I think . Anyway I never could warm up to one in a synthetic stock and already having a circa 1973 Ruger 10-22 I decided to order a Whistle Pig threaded barrel along with a Hogue stock . Also ordered another after market 10-22 2 1/4 pound trigger which is what I have in the 1973 10-22 . As you may have surmised I didn’t want to tear my 73 rifle apart so I just got a circa 1975 10-22 donor rifle , about all I’ll use from it is the action all the rest will be cleaned well oiled and boxed up in case I ever wanna put the gun back to original . My gunsmith buddy will do the headspace trick on the gun that as a general rule helps a lot . My circa 1973 10-22 with replacement trigger and Norma Tac ammo is good for five shots in under 1/2” at fifty yards . Which I think is great for an originally $59.95 rifle back in 72 or 73 . Anyway 10-22 #2 oughtta be put together in a week or two .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Suppressed 22LR

Post by fordwannabe »

A suppressed 22 is about as much fun as you can have, with your pants on. Gotta admit though Inwas playing with a suppressed encore in 45/70 yesterday with 520 grain Rn that was pretty fun too.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

fordwannabe wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:26 pm A suppressed 22 is about as much fun as you can have, with your pants on. Gotta admit though Inwas playing with a suppressed encore in 45/70 yesterday with 520 grain Rn that was pretty fun too.
I understand what you mean about the fun part ! But this thing will be put together then shoot 40 or 50 five shot 25 and 50 yard groups , then sighted in with the can and probably left alone except for squirrels or other areas that a suppressor is needed . I did get a right smart kick out of sighting in my 700 HB 260 with the suppressor screwed on . I suppose over the years I’ve gotten to anal about accuracy or lack of accuracy so at the range I’m pretty regimented with stuff like this .
Paul105
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul105 »

Here's my journey with the 22 suppressor I've had for 5 or 6 yrs. Started out with 10/22. Added an after market barrel with 1 in 9 twist (IIRC-no guarntee) so I could shoot the 60gr Aquila sss super sniper. The added noise of the blow by from the action wasn't what I was expecting. Bought a Savage SV-SR - the fixed breach made subsonic 22s virtually Hollywood quiet. Never liked the slippery synthetic stock. Last year, I purchased a CZ with the synthetic stock (couldn't find one with my preferred wood) - stock texture is great and accuracy is outstanding. Here's a picture of my two host guns - the CZ and a Nelson Custom upper on a 1911 lower.

Hope you have as much fun with yours as I've had with mine.

Pau
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ll eventually run across another 452 or 453 Varmint that’s factory threaded in walnut and I’ll pick it up . I have a couple friends that have rifles that look very similar to a 10-22 but they’re not semi but rather have a straight pull bolt , those suppressed shooting sub sonic are very quiet like you say 8)
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

To be honest if I could find a kinda beat up Remington 541-S and get it cheap I’d take it apart have the barrel threaded etc and go that route but I couldn’t do it to a nice original condition 541-S plus they’re bringing about a grand now .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Actually I’d probably be better off trying to find a beat up Remington 541-T HB and threading it . Triggers on both of them can be taken down to a pound or less 8)
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

For my 22 can I have a Savage 93 bolt. 2x Ruger 10/22’s,a Ruger mkIi semi handgun and a Henry carbine all threaded and ready for the can.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My son brought his Ruger .22 pistol with brand new suppressor to the farm for Fathers Day fun and it was fun for a half dozen shooters.
No ear covers needed and no headaches. I really prefer open iron sights to the red dots though, so I just shot point- and -shoot as I learned as a kid- more fun that way..
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

My neighbours have gone back to work so I no longer have to worry about noise, the suppressor is off untill I have something in the night that requires perforating..... :wink:
A lot of rifles are screw cut over here and suppressors are getting more common on centerfire rifles too, nearly everyone has one for rimfires as there are no restrictions on owning suppressors. Personally I don't like them or scopes, I know they can make a huge difference but they certainly spoil the looks and balance of the guns I have. My eyesight and hearing are both rubbish compared to my younger days, so scopes and suppressors would be very beneficial and I would recommend them to new shooters but I'm a dyed in the wool genuine old fanny burp and will continue to shoot my guns like I have always done for as long as I can still enjoy it.
IMG_20200621_160529.jpg
no scope or suppressor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I got the model called the "Operator" by Thompson Machine and Tool, it is an integrally-suppressed barrel set up for the 10/22, but what's really cool is you can easily modify it to fit on a 96/22. Takes 5 minutes to install thanks to the Ruger 'dovetail' barrel mounting system. Add 5 minutes and a small file to cut the extra ('dual') extractor groove the levergun has vs the semiauto.

Levergun = NO action noise.... 8)

Faster than a bolt action and easier to work quietly and with less visible motion. Note the 77/22 has a different length barrel shank than the 10/22 but the 96/22 and 10/22 are the same, so the 77/22 could not use the same barrel as the 10/22.

Honestly the gun is so quiet that you sometimes are just sure it didn't fire.... :lol:

Links:
> A
previous post on the 96/22

> The 'Operative'

> The Ruger Take-down version

I keep a red-dot sight on it because it is my favorite "new-shooter" gun and new shooters usually do best with red-dot sights. No recoil no noise and ten reliable hits on a 50 yard gong with a 'semi-traditional' (vs 'scary-tactical') looking gun.....and they are 'hooked' on shooting... :mrgreen:
Last edited by AJMD429 on Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:37 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:04 pm ...but I'm a dyed in the wool genuine old fanny burp
I think I joined that club a few years back myself! :lol:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Doc, I think from what I've seen the integrally suppressed barrel is the way to go, my dislike of suppressors is due to the extra weight and length right where it is least wanted. Your Ruger looks balanced which to me is important in a firearm... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
historicfirearms
Levergunner

Post by historicfirearms »

I bought a 22 suppressor about 10 years ago. Used it about five times and put it away. I can't even give it away.
A nice bolt action with a 24 inch barrel and quiet 22 ammo will do the same thing or better than a suppressed semi auto. The sonic crack is what makes the most noise in a 22 and you will still get that with most standard velocity ammo unless you use a 4 inch barrel or shorter. Or subsonic ammo and then you have to look at a faster twist rate.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I shot a friend's supressed .22 rifle, and wasn't that impressed with it's ability to quiet the shots. He said he had to shoot ammo under 750 fps to really make it quiet, and that ammo wasn't as accurate as standard velocity. So if I have to give up accuracy to get quiet, I'll take noise and accuracy every time.
Here's a test of the 5 best sub sonic .22 ammo. They got around .5"-1.0" groups at 30 yds. That's pretty poor in my experience and I can shoot those groups at 75 yds., and occasionally at 100 yds.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/5 ... 2lr/367863
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

With Norma TAC in my circa 1973 10-22 and in my Tippman Arms AR-22 both will stay about 3/4” or less at 50 yards . The Ruger does better than the Tippman . But I’ve not tried any yet suppressed . That Norma standard velocity when suppressed may not make the action function . I had issue with the AR-10 in 243 and 260 suppressed but never the 308’s of friends or my 338 Federal .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:36 am Doc, I think from what I've seen the integrally suppressed barrel is the way to go, my dislike of suppressors is due to the extra weight and length right where it is least wanted. Your Ruger looks balanced which to me is important in a firearm... 8)
And though it just looks like an inconpicuous 'bull-barrel' (and therefore doesn't attract unwanted attention the way a screw-on 'silencer' does), the 'Operative' is REALLY light weight....maybe lighter than the factory standard barrel. Partly I think the baffles are titanium and then of course the only 'solid' metal is the first 8-10 inches; since integral the tube is16" plus, so no SBR issues, but the easily-removable and cleanable core slips right out the front after you twist the cap.

The other nice thing about the integrally suppressed barrel versus an add-on silencer is the shorter actual 'barrel' automatically reduces the velocity to subsonic for most ammunition other than Stingers or other hypervelocity stuff, so it is all pretty quiet. The other thing is that with an integrally suppressed barrel you can get a higher twist rate than normal which helps to stabilize the bullets at a slower velocity.

I occasionally put my Gemtech Trek suppressor on a threaded 10/22 I have that is a fairly accurate gun with an aftermarket barrel, but even with that 5.56 NATO compatible suppressor there is still more noise with that setup, and less accuracy, than with my 96/22, for all of the above reasons.

I highly recommend the Operative, and they make them for several firearms. Naturally, being a levergunner, I chose the Ruger levergun as the platform, plus it is easy to change barrels on versus having to get a gunsmith to do it. I can take it off and put it on a 10/22 in just a few minutes if I want - I'd rather have it on a levergun but it makes more options if I wanted to sell either the gun or suppressor separately.

Now for centerfire stuff, I really DO like my Liberty Cans Mystic screw-on, because in centerfire guns they are heavier anyway so having the weight up front isn't as big a deal (it is titanium also though). I use it to make 38 Special levergun loads very quiet, but I can use on full-house 35 Remington loads or 357 Mag or 30-30 or 308 Win just to make them less noisy. It of course works on 9mm pistols so I can use It on the Glock etc.; I want to get my Calico pistol barrel threaded....'just because'....what's not to like about a suppressed pistol witha50 and 100 round factory-standard magazine.... :twisted:

I use the Mystic on 300 Blackout most, but also on regular velocity 223 just to dampen it down some, especially if teaching a newbie - they flich less, hit more, and have more fun hitting eggs at 100 yards off the bench with a bolt action 223 or AR-15 if it is at least quieter and the Mystic makes subsonic like 300 Blackout super-quiet, but makes even full-throttle 223's tolerable (we still wear hearing protectors).

Anyhow...those are my three suppressors... dunno if I'll ever feel the need any others. The Treck is a solid dedicated 5.56 can, the Operative makes my 96/22 so quiet I can barely be sure it fired, and the Mystic is a take-apart cleanable, multicaliber can for anything under 357 bullet diameter at any sensible velocity.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

This is my CZ with a Gemtech suppressor in .17 HM2. I have my nephews convened that if the gun goes off the squirrels' heads automatically disappear. I have a 10-22 rebuild with Volkerson parts I use for NRL22 matches sometimes with a suppressor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It is not the critic who counts
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Quiet is better for your hearing.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost