Colt Frontier Six Shooter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Colt Frontier Six Shooter

Post by M. M. Wright »

I acquired another old Colt a couple of weeks ago and wanted to share it with the crowd. This is a very nice example that the serial number dates to 1898. When I blew it apart to clean and inspect, every major part was stamped with a 33. This means that Colt did the refinish on it. Also it now wears a 5 1/2 inch barrel instead of a 4 3/4 which it's letter says it had originally. Also the front sight was changed to a wide top and the rear notch was squared so it has the latest sight picture. Under the trigger guard is a stamp which says 6 55 which I take to be the date of the overhaul. It had a very nice set of stag grips when I got it but I will sell them to lower the investment I made in it. My gunbelt had this many cartridges in it loaded with ffg Goex so I grabbed up this box and a target and went out yesterday and placed it in front of a big brush pile and shot up everything in the belt. 5 round group that is outlined at the bottom was held a 6:00 of the black but since it was low I raised my point of aim to the red dot. Still a little low but I'm happy with it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Colt Frontier Six Shooter

Post by gamekeeper »

Nice shooter, I think I would be very happy if it were mine... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

really really fine. good shooting too. just aim for the feather. or whatever. LOL
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Beautiful shooter!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Nice piece MM.....whomever at Colt who did the refinish was an old head at the factory as he had enough sense to color case harden the hammer. The old heads knew how to do them right.

Do the stags have the pre war nickel silver Colt medallions in them? If so I'll buy em...you name the price.

That little bit of elevation difference don't mean nothing...a little bit of sun could have done that.

You did good on that Colt.....while it may be a refinish, it's not a $29.99 gunshop refinish.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Thanks all, glad to share my old thumb busters. No six, no medallions but I have a set of those old silver ones. Guess you could put them in. Too, I have a set of pearls off a gun that went to Mexico. They have the medallions but they're not mentioned in the Colt letter. I kind of think the 5 1/2" barrel is the original 'cause it seems about every tenth letter says illegible for barrel length. I can date the barrel to 1896-1902 so if it was refurbed in 55 I doubt that barrel would have been available. Bore looks new but has those narrow rounded lands. Original hammer too. I need to go shoot a match with this and my 1894 as a pair. Oh, the left front leg of the TG has the VP on it now. Colt must have stamped that after the new case hardenning.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

That Colt is just beautiful! What a score.
The Frontier Six Shooter has to be the coolest thing Colt ever did. Wish they would bring them back.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

MM......the old blackpowder rifling had flat lands and wide grooves. I was going to ask if it had the knife edge front sight but I see you explained that in the original post so it makes sense Colt "modernized" the front sight.....maybe the original was filed off or bent......filed off was common...they were gunfighter guns at the time.....does the lettering look polished? Ahhh, junk it.

My holy grail of fighting Colts...a real deal Harold Croft Slip gun that was shot by Elmer Keith....

Another fighting gun...Colt New Service Target with a 2" barrel

Last edited by Sixgun on Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Love it MM! Those vintage snubs are "fire" as well six! (stealing some lingo from the kids)

MM, i only browse the forums occasionally now due to a change in job duties, but have you shared a range report on that NRA 2nd gen you purchased from me a while back?
Curious how it turned out for you. That was the jewel of my modest collection and id love to see an expert put it through its paces. :)

But if you havent gotten to it yet or have passed it on to another enthusiast , completely understood
----- Doug
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Streetstar, I have shot it but haven't posted anything about it yet. When I get over this Ehrlichiosos (tick fever) I'll give it a workout and post something. I actually put a set of one piece walnuts off an old 1st gen on it and they fit very well. Almost no fitting required.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’m afraid SAA’s are a little above my pay grade as long as I’m hung up on double barrels . I do however hope to add a few more COLT 1911’s . And yep that looks to be a right nice one 8)
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Beautiful old Colt, and the mods make it a better shooter in my opinion. I love stag grips, and the black hard rubber also. But I'd have stag on all mine given a choice.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Hombre
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Hombre »

Very nice Colt revolvers.... Here is my Colt Frontier Six Shooter....

Best,
Stefan
ColtSAA44-40.jpg
IMG_8440.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Thanks for sharing that pic of your CFSS Stefan. Very nice example since those etched panels wear off quite easily.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Nice shooters fellers, another nice one Ron. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.