Winchester 1892 Barrel Band

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mdunfee
Levergunner

Winchester 1892 Barrel Band

Post by mdunfee »

I recently acquired an 1892 that appears to have been completely re-furbished (or ruined, depending on your proclivity). It's serial number indicates it was made in the mid '20's, but the bluing is near perfect, all the screw heads look brand new, and it has been clearly re-barreled (gonna have to cast to figure out the chambering). Adding to the weirdness is that fact that the barrel band appear to have soldering filling its screw hole. So I can't take the darn thing apart. My question is, has anyone seen or heard of this being done? If so, is it worth trying to drill out the soldering to install a new barrel band with a screw? I can't figure why someone would do this in the first place.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Winchester 1892 Barrel Band

Post by gamekeeper »

I have never seen that on a barrel band but welcome to the fire.... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I doubt the solder was done on the gun, so it shouldn't be holding the band to the forearm wood. I'd try carefully tapping the band forward with a brass punch to avoid scarring it, and see if the forearm wood stays in place, or if it all moves forward together. Then if it comes off you can deal with repairing the band, or replacing it once it's off the gun.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mdunfee
Levergunner

Post by mdunfee »

Now that is something I never considered. A compression fit. Good thought.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

are you sure it wasn't pinned in place?
Rumble.com/ hickock45