32-40 bullet ?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

32-40 bullet ?

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Before everyone starts to flogging me for pictures, I am on the road and will be home around the 4th of July and will post pictures of this one and a couple of other new levers.

I recently became the proud owner of a marlin 1893 in 32-40. I have brass and dies waiting on me at the house along with a good selection of powder. What I am in need of is bullets, with the proper crimping groove. Any ideas where I might be able to order some from. I would prefer cast but for now jacketed would work too. I would like to try several different bullets before I buy a bullet mould.
Thanks in advance
Last edited by Duff L Bagg on Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Really Baby, I swear that it just followed me home.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 32-40 bullet ?

Post by Bruce »

Hey Duff,

Glad to see you are still out there. You don't need to be hauling that thing around in some old dirty truck. Ship it out to me and I'll take care of it until you pass through on the way home.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

I tried these in a old Win 32-40 I had. Bottom right.
http://www.laser-cast.com/32Cal.html
The cannelure is in the right place. Accuracy was only so-so. Maybe I didn' push them hard enough. They are a hard bullet. I ended up using Hawk soft copper jacketed & putting a cannelure on them. They were accurate but expensive. Chris
victor
Levergunner 2.0

Post by victor »

Duff,
I don,t load for the .32-40 but I've read that there may be COL issues using the Hornady 170gr.JFP due to cannelure position.The Speer 170gr.bullet will work fine.There is a good article in a past issue of Handloader Magazine(FEB 2007 No.245)about the .32-40.

As far as cast bullet molds go, I believe you can't go wrong with the RCBS 32-170-FNGC. Congrats on the Marlin and enjoy.

PM sent
Vic
Winchester Model 94(61').32 Winchester Special
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Oh man, I've been looking at 32-40's on GunBroker. Not you've gone and snagged one. Can't wait to see her. I'm 32-40 poor and therefore have no clue on the bullets. I just know the loaded cartridge looks cool as all get out.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Try here:
http://www.buffaloarms.com

They also have dies, will make custom luber/sizers.

They list .311, & .312 on the on-line catalog. The product is very top quality.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I use the laser cast Chris linked to & it shoots well for me.
Neither Hornady or speer 32 calibre bullets will work useing the cannalure in 32/40 cases. But they will in formed 30/30 cases. or if you seat them deeper & crimp with a LFC.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Depending on your bore diameter, this .321 may work well. Remember OAL can't be more than the max for .30-30 or .38-55. But, the good news is that you can seat the bullets further back in the case to keep your OAL within max. Just watch your load data for increased pressure caused by lessened case capacity. I have a friend who routinely shoots 190s and 200s in his .32-40 Winchester 94.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Little Doc
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Little Doc »

For what it is worth, my marlin 93 32-40 would not shoot worth a hoot. TILL i cast a boolet, 8mm lee mould, sized the boolet .325 and bingo. the 32-40 generally had a .321 bore, but the throat is usually larger and the boolet needs to be sized to fit the throat. hope this helps. good luck
little doc
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Thanks for all of the responces, I have ordered several different bullets to try.

Bruce I thank you for your kind offer to look after that old rifle, but if I get that close to the house I am going all the way to Holly Hill. By the way how is retirement treating you?

RF McNJ Next time we go to the range I will bring the 32-40 along with a couple of the other new toys.

Once again thanks for the help.

w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Duff L Bag,
The bullet that Griff referenced is the .32-40 factory bullet equivalent. When set to crimp in the top crimp groove, the cartridge oal is correct for the .32-40.

Have fun.
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Duff,

Retirement is great. Contrary to some reports and rumors, I have not gotten bored yet. Planted my first garden in over 30 years and it came off great. Started canning also and both the wife and I are hooked on it. My childhood memories got the best of me, fresh vegetables year round now.

I can count on one hand the number of days I have not been down to my hunt club since October. :D I have made one real discovery that I really don't have to be in a hurry anymore. I usually leave the house about 6.30 am and I hardly drive over 45 mph while I am gone. I will never talk bad about the old slow drivers again.

I have also been quite lucky with some gun purchases recently. I have a project Marlin 30AS that will be finished soon and then I will post some pictures of the collection. Stay tuned.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

WHAT DO YOU NEED THE 32-40 BULLESTS FOR?
IRIS SOLD ME THE GUN AFTER YOU LEFT!
38-55 TOO! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
GIVE ME A BUZZ
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

RIHMFIRE wrote:WHAT DO YOU NEED THE 32-40 BULLESTS FOR?
IRIS SOLD ME THE GUN AFTER YOU LEFT!
38-55 TOO! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
GIVE ME A BUZZ

If that is true, the both of you better be wearing kevlar drawers when I get back in town! :o :P :lol:

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Those 1893's have some of the nicest lines in a levergun. Plus it's a 32-40 ... can't go wrong there. What do you do ... hit various guns shows on your travels and snatch this stuff? Look forward to seeing it.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Duff L Bagg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Duff L Bagg »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Those 1893's have some of the nicest lines in a levergun. Plus it's a 32-40 ... can't go wrong there. What do you do ... hit various guns shows on your travels and snatch this stuff? Look forward to seeing it.
Actually it came from Peterson's in Mt Dora. My last trip home had me over there to kick them in the butt for not having completed rebarreling my project gun.(it has been in their shop for over 7 months) I was assured that it would be finished before my next trip back into the house.It is amazing how much progress you can make with a face to face meeting Vs phone calls.
Any way back to the story, They had a consigned new in the box Win 94 Legacy in 38-55 WCF, w/26" round barrel. I went home thinking about that rifle. I got up the next morning and called to see if they still had it. they did and I saddled up and went back to Mt Dora. While I was there making my deal on the Winchester one of the other clerks ask me if I would be interested in a marlin 1893. The rest as they say is history. I took both of them.

BTW Petersons called last week to tell me that my project gun had been completed

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I made the pilgrimage there a few months back. The only thing they had that was even remotely interesting was a 94 of mid-50's manufacture with a Weaver K-4 on a side mount. Everything else was newer stuff ... except, of course, for the back room which I would like to raid some day.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Where is Peterson's in Mt. Dora? The wife and I went there once and I don't remember any fun spots, er, gun shops. We're going down to St. Augustine in Sep for our nephew's wedding. Might have to "swing" by there (if I can get her away from the family or grab the other nephew to go with me).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Hobie wrote:Where is Peterson's in Mt. Dora? The wife and I went there once and I don't remember any fun spots, er, gun shops. We're going down to St. Augustine in Sep for our nephew's wedding. Might have to "swing" by there (if I can get her away from the family or grab the other nephew to go with me).
ITS BETWEEN EUSTIS AND ORLANDO FLORIDA
40 MINUTES OR SO FROM DAYTONA ON 44
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

I believe it is technically in Tavares but it is very close to the lake in Mt. Dora. It is not easy to find. The back room is chock full of old guns and the gunsmith equipment of Mr. A. W. Peterson ... apparently a big single shot competitor from the early twentieth century. I believe he used to operate from Colorado but relocated to Florida back in the 50's. His back room has several Ballards hanging from the walls and has a rotary rack filled with other good stuff that is not to be touched. There's a pretty nice condition 1873 in that rack that I stare at every time I walk through.

The building is so old that the floor creeks badly and I feel like I'm going to fall through eventually if I stay in there too long. Which helps keep me from spending too much time and/or money in there.

Basic history ... http://www.careybaker.us/gun_shop/

Map ... Image
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bruce »

Hobie,

Let us know the dates you will be around and we may be able to point you towards a gun show. There are also some fairly decent shops within a reasonable driving distance of St. Augustine.

Jacksonville Fairgrounds Show - Sept. 20-21

Lake City Show - Sept. 27-28 (small show so don't drive over just for it)

Green Acres Store in Jacksonville - I have found some fairly odd and good priced guns at this place.