50 AR info and opinion page

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

50 AR info and opinion page

Post by Grizz »

what is the optimum barrel for a 50 Beo pistol?

some pistols do not gain much performance with longer barrels
unless the bullets can be driven at higher velocity.

50 Beo is a subset of 500 S&W magnum, the case capacity is nearly the same

On the AR receivers, the max pressure is determined by the action.

I rarely shoot my firearms at max pressure, and use TKO as the guiding factor.

I like to be able to drop any animal inside of 80 yards or so, which my 5.5 inch
44 redhawk does easily. Short pistols are handy pistols.

So, what is the benefit of a 10" pistol barrel over a 5 or 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 inch barrel?

My pistol project is getting a 50 Beo barrel and a 762x39 barrel for the pistol lowers.

what would you do, and why? thanks shooters
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 50 AR info and opinion page

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’m of the opinion if you want such a creature just get an S&W revolver in 500 S&W kinda problem solved and you don’t need worry about the gas system . I had a 500 S&W in an H&R Handi Rifle and can’t say I was impressed I also loaded for and hunted with a friends AR-15 50 Beowulf and wasn’t overly impressed . But like anything else it’s all a matter of opinion and what intrests a person . Good luck !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hey Thanks! my wrists wont be happy shooting the S&W. I'm making the AR pistol because it's a two handed grip, and handy availability in the woods, and quicker than a carbine for me. I have AR pistols, and like the ergonomics. 440gr 50 loads are in the ball park, TKO-wise, of my 45/70 loads, and ahead of my 44/405 loads, which penetrate like some of my 45/70 loads. a heavy for caliber. non-frangible solid bullet trotting along at around 1100 to 1300fps should be thru and thru on anything I might shoot in America. that's the premise and my current theory.

I'm just interested in velocity drop per inch in a pistol version of the 50 Beo. I think I saw a 500 Smith with a 4 inch barrel. OK for my 20 year old wrists. But I don't have them any more.... :lol:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

There may be more data for 500 Smith & Wesson vs barrel length because it's the more common cartridge, although most of the data would be for revolvers not semi-automatics. I think I would look at convenience and portability as a big factor honestly. If you plan to suppress it of course that adds a whole other dimension, but I like my 300 blackout 8" better than the 10-inch, just because of that factor. Adding a suppressor to the 8 incher is more or less like a compact carbine. If you're not intending to suppress it then the slightly longer barrel length or even 12 inch probably wouldn't make a big difference in portability and with that heavy of a bullet would probably mean higher velocity from the longer barrel.

That is all just pontificating, and not based on experience.

I do think the AR pistol is an awesome invention, especially with the concept of the pistol brace. I also really think the Beowulf is a great cartridge...think 500 S&W in a semiauto...andI doubt you would lose so much going to a pistol length, you would gain portability, and Most importantly.....tt would be fun... :mrgreen:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

i have a 10.5" barrel on the way. Not planning to suppress it, nor to have a flash hider. Because Smiths don't have them.. :) My 300 pistol has a 7.5" barrel, and it is handier than the longer barrel. I might cut the 50 barrel a half inch in front of the gas block, and crown it like a revolver. And make a wood hand grip and color it the combloc red, or something like that. Just fun stuff with the right loads makes it good inside too.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

but maybe a half inch is too close to the gas line? it's a pistol gas design, what is the minimum length necessary to reliably work the action????????
wvfarrier
Senior Levergunner

Post by wvfarrier »

When i was toying with 50B, this was when i first came out mind you, I ran a 12.5" barrel. I tried a 16 but didnt care for the weight. I got complete powder burn out of the 12.5" but was also using an adjustible gas block. I took several whitetail deer with it, it performed about the same as a 12G slug. They dropped in their tracks and often the compression caused secondary holes to appear in the gut area. I primarily used the 600 grain hard cast (i forget the manufacturer) but also played with the 300 grain Gold Dots.
A bondservant of our Lord, Christ Jesus
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Hey thanks for that. I guestimated that the 50 would hit like that. I'm going to shoot several strings of tests and then decide. 2 inches less length adds up to a more handier device. Just don't want to bob the nose to where I lose the 80 yard impact I'm shooting for. . . [shooting for, Heh]