I finished reading THE LAST SHERIFF IN TEXAS last night.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

I finished reading THE LAST SHERIFF IN TEXAS last night.

Post by JimT »

I enjoyed the book but can see where some might not like parts of it. The book is not totally about Sheriff Ennis and the author goes into great detail about life in small-town Texas in 40's and 50's. He spends a lot of time on minute details. I liked it 'cuz I grew up during that era. And I liked the details of the corruption in government that has not necessarily gotten any better. Overall I found it enjoyable read. Your mileage may vary.
book.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Re: I finished reading THE LAST SHERIFF IN TEXAS last night.

Post by octagon »

Looks like a good one. I get a lot of books at 1/2 Price Books in the Texas section, and occasionally get some gun stuff in the Sports section, like "Flight of the Bullet" by Mann/Pope, but the good gun stuff there is pretty sporadic.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Seems like it would be worth finding.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
roughcreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by roughcreek »

Ordered it from Amazon last night. Thanks for the tip.

Another Texas guy whose books I enjoy is Ben K. Green out of Cumby, TX. Altho I think his experiences are earlier than the 40"s.
"WILD COW TALES" AND "HORSE TRADIN" He later became a vet and did extensive research on the color of horses and horse conformation.
Roughcreek
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Roughcreek, I started reading Ben Green books as a kid, love em! There is also a volume of "Some More Horse Tradin" that is equally entertaining, gave copies of his stuff to an old Mexican rancher pal of mine to help him with his English skills, he has helped me with a little Spanish. He has been a horseman since he was a kid, and reminds me of Ben Green a lot. These original books have become fairly collectable.
roughcreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by roughcreek »

You gotta read "VILLAGE HORSE DOCTOR:WEST OF THE PECOS" Enjoyable reading also.
Roughcreek