THANKS to Thompson Lube Company

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

THANKS to Thompson Lube Company

Post by 3leggedturtle »

I ran out of my Blue Angel hi-temp lube. Could not find it any normal places i order from. Looked them up and they were still in business but moved to Walla Walla. Sent him money on Wednesday and Tuesday morning my lube sticks were in the mail box. Thank you Sir todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: THANKS to Thompson Lube Company

Post by GunnyMack »

Todd, please tell us what is so special about this lube? Other than hi temp? Is it grease? Does it repel water? Always like to hear about what and why people use a specific lube...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

GM, main reason is it stays in the grooves and doesn't ooze out in warm weather or storage. 800-1500fps is my normal range I shoot cast bullets. Tho have pushed them well over 2300fps without leading. Cant prove it, but seems to protect bore from rust. todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I believe that the red Hi-Temp is a wax lube. If their website is still up, ISTR it provides a LOT of info on their lubes.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

D'oh- I'm thinking grease for machinery NOT thinking bullet lube!! guess the coffee hadn't kicked it yet !!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve been using Thonpson’s Blue Angel for about twenty years not exclusively but it’s my choice if I can choose . I buy other stuff from time to time if I can get a deal but if I have a choice it’s going to be Blue Angel hands down .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Just looked into this lube- I dont have a heater for my sizer.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:51 am Todd, please tell us what is so special about this lube? Other than hi temp? Is it grease? Does it repel water? Always like to hear about what and why people use a specific lube...

Gunny.....why people prefer different lubes is the same reason why people prefer different gunpowders. We all know Bullseye, Unique, 2400, 4198,3031,4895" and 4350 will suffice for 99% of all reloading.......THEN......around the year 1970...give or take 5 years, a LOT more people started reloading and therefore, American businessmen, as the world's greatest Capitalists, decided they wanted a piece of the pie that was growing at a fast pace. So the chemists got to work and the bull chitters started selling ice to the Eskimos and viola....... a need for powders that gave 50 fps more velocity for the 44 magnum was introduced...powders that eliminated copper fouling...powders that were not position sensitive...powders that worked in 2,000 degrees below zero....powders that would not give erratic velocities if you left a speed loader on your dashboard......powders that would not lose their coating if the bullets rumbled around in your pocket while you walked up a hill........

About any powder invented after ball powders just is not needed....Ball powder was the last great powder invention the same way the last semi auto pistol was invented in 1911 or the Ma Deuce big 50 came out of John Browning workshop......

Oh!!! Lubes......there's white lube, blue lube, hot lube,waxy lube, bear grease, deer tallow, heated lube, smeary lube, lube with sparkles, red lube, purple lube, lube that works as a laser beam, lube scientifically designed to increase accuracy 1/16" of an inch at 4,000 meters...but with that last one the gun needs to be in a machine rest.

So....unless your shooting cast bullets more than 2,000 fps the only lube you need is what's been out for a zillion years....50% Alox and 50% beeswax..the old tried and true NRA Formula.

If you need to shoot more than 2,000 the NRA formula usually works if everything else is correct but if it's not, buy some of Veral Smith's Apache Blue......it's a smeary lube and certainly needs no heater......oh! the heaters.......necessary for one thing only...to heat lube so it stays put on the bullets for commercial casters while shipping & packaging......

Hey! I hear your an Eskimo......wanna buy some ice?.....I can deliver it in January when I drop off the refrigerator . :D -----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

GunnyMack wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:59 pm Just looked into this lube- I dont have a heater for my sizer.
A 100-150 flood light bulb in a reflector works just as good as a heater. Tho it takes s few minutes for your to adjust when you walk away sfter a session of sizing!

Red Dot, Unique, 2400 and H335 are the main powders I been using since '70. I just started using Bullseye for first time in September 2018.
6PT, do you know when they first started selling Blue Angel?

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I'm sure this blue stuff could be used in a sizer with a hair dryer blowing on it, probably take some tinkering.
I hardly spend enough time with cast that I just use liquid alox.

Actually I could use another fridge!! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

You forgot Bee's Wax sixgun! Probably one of the most often used waxes as a basis for most home brewed bullet lubes, and my favorite for my personal use. I haven't bought commercial lube in decades as I've mixed my own formula up.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

marlinman93 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:55 am You forgot Bee's Wax sixgun! Probably one of the most often used waxes as a basis for most home brewed bullet lubes, and my favorite for my personal use. I haven't bought commercial lube in decades as I've mixed my own formula up.

Yea...I hear ya Marlinman.....back when Tamerack was in business I bought a lot from them,,,several hundred tubes...I still have maybe 50.....I played around and found beeswax mixed about anything slightly softer than beeswax works acceptable too....white lithium grease at 55/45 (lithium to beeswax) is one of my favorite.....50/50 white lithium to beeswax with enough ATF to make it work in a sizer is also great......can't believe anyone would buy it when it's child's play to make yo own.---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I mix Bee's wax, Crisco, and some STP for my lube. It comes out similar to SPG, but a bit firmer. I use it strictly for smokeless loads since I don't do BP.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/