H&R 922

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

H&R 922

Post by Rusty »

I was given one of these today by a family member only to learn it has been in the family for quite some time. According to the serial number it was made around 1937-38. It looks like new and I kind of wonder if it's even been shot. The latch that holds the cylinder pin in is really tight. I was wondering if anyone has one of these and could offer some tips for getting the latch, pin, and cylinder in and out?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: H&R 922

Post by gamekeeper »

Old No7 will have the lowdown on top breaks.... :D
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Thanks GK,
This one isn't the topbreak. It just has a pin that holds the cylinder in the frame. These were made from the late 20s till 1952. The trouble is getting the pin out, it is tough.

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Rusty wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:05 am Thanks GK,
This one isn't the topbreak. It just has a pin that holds the cylinder in the frame. These were made from the late 20s till 1952. The trouble is getting the pin out, it is tough.
My bad, I should have checked the model number :oops: the answer however may help me, I have an old Belgium bulldog blank fired with a similar problem. I don't know if this link is of any interest.
https://youtu.be/d8UpKNpoIM0
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Rusty wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:05 am Thanks GK,
Sorry Rusty, I have no experience with that model, just the H&R Top-breaks.

For sure, I'd try some Kroil or other penetrating oil, but be patient and let it soak in for a day or so. A couple of times a day, reapply the Kroil if needed and tap around the pin and lightly on it with a plastic mallet as that shock and vibration might help loosen whatever is stuck. Heat from a heat gun or blow dryer might help too, but I wouldn't use a flame.

I did find this schematic of the later model 922 which will show you what you're dealing with on that one.

( Click image to enlarge )
HR 922 Schematic.jpg

I had a tough pin on a used Uberti .22 SAA I bought once. So I found a tough piece of plastic that I could shape like a screwdriver blade (hard wood may work too) and I got that engaged in the "ribs" or "slots" out at the end of the pin and then tapped on it -- after doing the above Kroil trick -- and that extra push helped free up the pin. Then I polished off a burr and some rust, reblued it with Oxpho-Blue from Brownell's and never had it stick again.

Good luck -- let us know how you make out.

Old No7
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Put some Kroil on and around Pin #4 in that schematic too.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Another link that might be useful https://youtu.be/VEemfFvkWN0
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jr is going to end up with it however it comes out, but wouldn't you know it he came over today and II handed him the pistol and before I could explain anything to him he was standing there with it torn down down in three pieces. I guess I need that carpel tunnel surgery more than I thought.

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:35 pm Jr is going to end up with it however it comes out, but wouldn't you know it he came over today and II handed him the pistol and before I could explain anything to him he was standing there with it torn down down in three pieces. I guess I need that carpel tunnel surgery more than I thought.
:lol: I love it when that happens.....at least when I'm the second person and 'fix' the thing.

Unfortunately, I'm usually the first person - and can't open/fix whatever it is, then someone else comes along and does it right easy.... :oops:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "