Good guys win. Bad guys lose.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Good guys win. Bad guys lose.

Post by Naphtali »

"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops. My decision to attack at this time and place was based on the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."

After 6 June 1944, Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force commander, Dwight Eisenhower, did not have this statement distributed to the American people.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Good guys win. Bad guys lose.

Post by jeepnik »

Possibly the biggest gamble of the war. Had it failed and even if we had been able to withdraw a significant number of troops successfully it would have take years to prepare for another try.

Some pretty educated folks have postulated on what the effect would have been had we later employed atomic weapons in Europe. While bombing Japan primarily enemy civilians were involve. But in Europe anywhere but Germany would have involved allied civilians.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad