I need ( of course ) new Squirrel buster.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

I need ( of course ) new Squirrel buster.

Post by gamekeeper »

Bored with this lockdown, I have got the itch for another shotgun, thinking about a used SxS 28 gauge (expensive) or a used Mossberg pump .410 (inexpensive).
Being as my last shotgun cost a whopping $32 dollars I thought I should really pay a little bit more for the next one, has anyone here got a Mossberg 500 .410 ? How reliable are they ? I've seen mixed reviews, I've had 500s in 12 and 20 gauge just not sure of the little .410.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Re: Need ( of course ) new Squirrel buster.

Post by piller »

No experience with their .410, but I have one in 12 gauge. I am not sure about their .410.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I need ( of course ) new Squirrel buster.

Post by fordwannabe »

I was given a mossberg 500 in 410, years ago as a Thank you from a friend and his Dad for some work I had done. I used it sparsely a couple years. No issues with it. I ended up giving it to the Grandson and Great Grandson of the guys who gave it to me. If it never fires another shot it will always be a great gun to me.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

The choice is obvious, since you have had 410, 20 and 12's you need to play with a 28 gauge. It really is a great round. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I can't speak to new manufacture, but my Mossy 500 .410 has held up well. It was my first shotgun so it's a few (quite) decades old. Nothing really to go wrong other than possibly the mag tube spring. And mine is original.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

3leggedturtle wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:49 pm The choice is obvious, since you have had 410, 20 and 12's you need to play with a 28 gauge. It really is a great round. Todd/3leg
I used to have two 28s GF got one a Rossi SB and my son got the other, Remington 870...... :cry: :cry: :cry:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Why not pick up a Henry 410 lever they are a fun little gun
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

barbarossa wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:44 pm Why not pick up a Henry 410 lever they are a fun little gun
$1375 + and would be restricted to 3 shot permanently, not so much fun then, new American made guns cost a lot more over here.... :cry:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

So get yourself a 32 or a 24 ga- I bet there are still a few over there in merry ol England??
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Get a CZ O/U 28 ! Or a Remington 870/1100 28 :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

GunnyMack wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:47 pm So get yourself a 32 or a 24 ga- I bet there are still a few over there in merry ol England??
You can get those here as well ! I sold a Traditions (Fausti) 24 gauge for a customer a couple years ago .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If I was thinking cheap squirrel .410, I think I'd go for a Baikal SxS. :idea: I have one of their 12ga with chokes. What a nice shooter.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

GK perhaps an "alternative" method of procurement is required here: Your pals here at Leverguns procure a Henry in 410, cleverly disguise it as an English "gardening" tool, and ship it directly to your girlfriend to avoid getting you in trouble, and voila... :?
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I waved a Henry .410 lever gun around a couple of weeks ago, and was impressed only by its ergonomics (reminds me of a post hole digger). I suspect that as a house gun for "things that go bump in the night," stuffed with Win 3" .410 000 buckshot, it would be Ok. But as something to lug thru the woods, it would just be too heavy. Your squirrels would need to live right near the truck....

The Marlins and Win 94 can't handle the AWESOME .410 3" magnum like the Henry, but they're way handier. I'll stick with my two single .410s and my 870.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Thanks for all the suggestions, legal and illegal :lol: my requirements for a Squirrel gun are 1 it must be lightweight, 2 if it's got two barrels it must have two triggers, 3 it has to be affordable .
Counting back over the years I have owned about 12 different.410s, the draconian gun laws over here in NOT so merry old England mean that yes you can keep as many shotguns as you like BUT the police will insist on extra security which ain't cheap. So being a typical gun nut I see guns that I can't live without but then something else has to go to keep my meager collection getting too big :( every shotgun purchase has to be logged by the police and rifles cannot be bought without police permission before hand. The police can inspect your home to check your guns and security, if they find anything amiss you are in deep doo doo , even having a few rounds of rifle ammunition over what you are allowed can land you in trouble. I could go on and on but our gun laws are so dumb you probably wouldn't believe me.
The little Mossberg looks like fun even though the law requires the mag tube to be crimped allowing only two shells and one in the chamber. I can pick up a used one in fair condition for probably more than you guys can buy new. Also the police will not issue any new shotgun or firearm licenses while the Chinese virus lockdown is on, I already have both so I can still buy shotguns but new firearms (rifles) require a variation on the license that at the moment is difficult to get.

Your second amendment is worth far more than gold, fight to keep it...🇺🇸
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:45 am Thanks for all the suggestions, legal and illegal :lol: my requirements for a Squirrel gun are 1 it must be lightweight, 2 if it's got two barrels it must have two triggers, 3 it has to be affordable .
Counting back over the years I have owned about 12 different.410s, the draconian gun laws over here in NOT so merry old England mean that yes you can keep as many shotguns as you like BUT the police will insist on extra security which ain't cheap. So being a typical gun nut I see guns that I can't live without but then something else has to go to keep my meager collection getting too big :( every shotgun purchase has to be logged by the police and rifles cannot be bought without police permission before hand. The police can inspect your home to check your guns and security, if they find anything amiss you are in deep doo doo , even having a few rounds of rifle ammunition over what you are allowed can land you in trouble. I could go on and on but our gun laws are so dumb you probably wouldn't believe me.
The little Mossberg looks like fun even though the law requires the mag tube to be crimped allowing only two shells and one in the chamber. I can pick up a used one in fair condition for probably more than you guys can buy new. Also the police will not issue any new shotgun or firearm licenses while the Chinese virus lockdown is on, I already have both so I can still buy shotguns but new firearms (rifles) require a variation on the license that at the moment is difficult to get.

Your second amendment is worth far more than gold, fight to keep it...🇺🇸
Should have joined the revolution in the 1700's. But since that didn't happen perhaps it's time for an uprising of your own. Or at least a concerted effort to elect a more agreeable group to your government.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Should have joined the revolution in the 1700's. But since that didn't happen perhaps it's time for an uprising of your own. Or at least a concerted effort to elect a more agreeable group to your government. Quote.

If I had a time machine I'd be on the Mayflower.
I'm afraid this old country is lost, maybe when the Muslims finally take over we will all have AKs and I can go Squirrel hunting with a RPG. :twisted:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

gamekeeper wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:43 pm Quote
I'm afraid this old country is lost, maybe when the Muslims finally take over we will all have AKs and I can go Squirrel hunting with a RPG. :twisted:
An RPG would kill it,skin it, fricassee it, and turn it into mushy peas in 1 shot.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I don't know about the new Mossy .410's as I bought mine in 1979 , it has a plain real walnut stock on it and is a great shooter. another lower cost .410 to consider is a Tristar Viper G2 semi auto. I have one in 28 gauge and quite a few Guys on shotgun world have the 410's and really like them.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

.45colt wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:59 pm I don't know about the new Mossy .410's as I bought mine in 1979 , it has a plain real walnut stock on it and is a great shooter. another lower cost .410 to consider is a Tristar Viper G2 semi auto. I have one in 28 gauge and quite a few Guys on shotgun world have the 410's and really like them.
I have been looking at the Tristar, it does look interesting...
AR_Tri4-e1558733264442.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I bought a 500 for my son's past wife when they were married about a year ago now. While it wasn't the same feel of the 500 I got for my 10th birthday back in 1966 it was a nice feeling gun. I've even thought of buying one for for my self or should I say for my wife. The one I bought for my past daughter in law was fairly smooth and would ad a great number of tree rats to the pots if called on.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Mossberg but what hurts is a used 500 is $440 and an old 600 is $377 way more than you guys can get a new one for. The guns are a couple of hundred miles away so I'd be taking a risk buying unseen. I may just hang on till something local comes up.
Thank you for all the input... :)
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Gamekeeper wrote: "I have been looking at the Tristar, it does look interesting..." the design of the Viper is so simple that it can be taken down to clean in about two minutes. the one issue most of these have is a heavy trigger pull, mine did. some deal with it themselves but I sent the trigger group to a gunsmith and in a few days it was back with a 4 1/2 lb pull.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

.45colt wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:22 am Gamekeeper wrote: "I have been looking at the Tristar, it does look interesting..." the design of the Viper is so simple that it can be taken down to clean in about two minutes. the one issue most of these have is a heavy trigger pull, mine did. some deal with it themselves but I sent the trigger group to a gunsmith and in a few days it was back with a 4 1/2 lb pull.
Yes, I have watched a couple of videos, they do seem well thought out little semiautos I will give them some consideration or of course I could go full retro.
27265709088_c2e991863c_z.jpg
I know Nath would approve... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.