Sure hard to get away from China

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Sure hard to get away from China

Post by earlmck »

My old rule (pre-covid) was when buying some item made in U.S. and also made in China -- I'd pay up to 3X for "made in US" but after 3X I figured they were gouging me.
New rule -- we don't buy "made in China" period.

So I needed a new battery for my little pocket camera. Bunch of "made in China" ones readily available for $10, but the kid wants to avoid that. So I find the proper battery from "Duracell America" for $30 and promptly order it. Arrives a couple days ago and --- yeah, you guessed it. "Made in China".

My old half-gallon canteen I "rescued" from some wildfire from back when I was employed by Uncle Sam started leaking rather badly. I Find something similar and of course it is $10 and "Made in China". So I get on eBay and find a "vintage Coleman canteen, lightly used" for a mere $20, which I ordered. It arrived today and as I was giving it a good wash-up I find the little sticker "Made in China". Very fine print though, so maybe it doesn't count?

Sheeesh!

But I just finished getting my shells all loaded up to go to our first 2020 shoot this week-end. Lotsa' 45/70's (3 different matches, mid-range, long-range, and trapdoor), 38/55 (big lever match), 30-06 (military bolt match), 25/20 (25 -bore match), 38/40 (pistol caliber lever match) and some CCI mini-mag 22's for the 22 rimfire match. Not one bit of China crud in any of that stuff (unless I happen to take along my camera or a canteen). Bring 'er on!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Sure hard to get away from China

Post by Rube Burrows »

Yeah, its def. hard to get away from China made stuff here. We have been engulfed in China made stuff for so long now as Americans. Even some of our knife makers that are supposed to be USA companies have many of their knives made there while only keeping a few made here. I try to buy American made on as much as I can and some things I refuse to buy if they are made in China. I don't get too worked up over it though because buying American only really works if Americans as a whole do it and more companies actually make things here.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

A few weeks ago my GF bought some silk scarves, I too was a bit narked when I saw a "made in China" label, then I realized that is where they are supposed to come from ............ historically anyway... :lol:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

With the awareness of our dependence on China for so much finally coming to light during this pandemic, I really wonder IF the U.S. finally wakes up and brings a lot more manufacturing back. I see several possible obstacles to this ;
1. The majority of American consumers want everything CHEAP, cheap this, cheap that. Will this mindset change ?
2. Chinese interests have purchased many American companies.....a bunch !
I reckon politics and time will tell...
Vic
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

It's all about the dollar. Americans normally don't/won't spend any more money than necessary and vendors here save money by buying from China, even when shipping halfway around the world. If a vendor or manufacturer can save on parts, even a few cents per unit helps "the bottom line" which is what it's all about. Everything made in America costs more (many reasons; unions, high cost of "want" [living], taxes, regulations [EPA, etc] and a bunch of other overhead) so naturally people buy the "Made in China" and after many years of Asian imports, not a whole lot of stuff on the shelves is "Made In USA". We can't blame anyone but ourselves...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sadly,the cheapest usually is the one to get the contract.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Well, the way I look at it is if I buy it used, like Earl’s canteen, I’m buying American.
That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 8)
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Earl, I always wanted to shoot in the "Quarter Bore match" at the COSSA range. Had fun ringing those buffalo with lead boolits and black powder out of the Trapdoor, but doubt I could see the Buffington sights any more.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The other day I stopped in the auto parts store to buy a complete set of brake pads for my wife's Jeep......the guy says, "you want the cheap one, the one mid priced, or the best?" I says, "the best, no Chinese junk" he hands me these Raybestos pads, nice packaging.blah blah....I get home , jack up the Jeep on jack stands, pop off the tires and the old pads, get the new ones, open the nice box..."made in China".

Yep....as previously mentioned, Americans are way over materialistic..they want it all so they scrimp here and there....then blow 5 grand on an island vacation.

We old timers here well remember when we were kids and used to laugh at things that were made in Japan...junk.....what do you all think when chinas quality goes up...along with their prices?---6
Model A Uzi’s
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Sixgun wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:00 pm what do you all think when chinas quality goes up...along with their prices?---6
"quality" isn't the issue I have with China that leads me to try to avoid buying stuff made there.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I once bought a single barrel 20 gauge made in China, I have never gotten rid of a gun so quick, whoever bought it had the same feelings about it as it turned up back at the gunshop where it still resides today.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

In many cases it's not an issue of shopping around till you find something made in America. There is nothing made in America to replace it with. I read several years ago that the liquid crystal display for either a Bradley or some other piece of American armor was being made overseas. In the event of a war we couldn't even keep our own equipment up and running because the parts aren't made in the country any more. Maybe Trump can fix that.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

In many cases it's not an issue of shopping around till you find something made in America. There is nothing made in America to replace it with
That's true. Try to buy running shoes made in America.

Or a light bulb. With very few exceptions, it's now illegal to manufacture an incandescent light bulb in America.

The profit margin on LEDs and fluorescent bulbs isn't high enough for the shareholders, so all of that is now
made overseas. The Chinese slaves that actually do the work aren't getting rich - only the shareholders and
the middlemen. And a whole American industry is gone.

Shoes are another big industry that was gutted in this country. And most of the Chinese footwear isn't fixable - wear and
throw away. It's still possible to find American made boots at a reasonable price, but it's getting harder and harder.
Harder still to find an independent cobbler to rebuild 'em.

-Stretch
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

It is way too late to get away from China. since the covid there has been a shortage of meat in local stores, the one I retired from last year and still work at one day a week has hardly had enough meat to keep the cutters busy. the local wally world typically has a half empty meat counter. All the while ton's of meat are being shipped to China. Smithfield pork is owned by China............ I wonder how this happened under obummers watch. I just wonder where it will all end.
ywaltzucanrknrl
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ywaltzucanrknrl »

Don't overlook regulations. China controls most of the rare earth mines in the world----lights, LED, autos, computers, watches, phones----pretty much everything you can think of needs rare earth metals----including our strategic materials---how did we let this happen. In the world I work in, I watched nearly all the iron and steel manufacturing go to China or close----try to buy American made tubing and casing for Oil and Gas wells---pretty much one choice for American metals, the rest are Chinese or Asian. Look at what Hillary did with the US Uranium mines----a deal with Russia----I said right from the beginning---why the hell would Russia help Trump when they could have easy, sleazy Hillary.

I've watched the permitting for a rare earth mine in Wyoming---I've been watching it for at least ten years---how can America compete if it takes that long to permit a mine. Look at all the pressure on permitting a coal mine. Regulations played a fair part in the dismantling of our steel industry. Look at permitting for an oil and gas pipeline, besides everyone protesting against it, there are upwards of twenty federal/state agencies that have to give their approval to get a permit, it's crazy.

The meat industry---they are killing and wasting all the critters, that's why there is no meat on the shelves----the slaughterhouses are under USDA regs, they can't sell the critters locally---this COVID deal has exposed a real weakness in our meat supply and it's mainly due to regulations and too much concentration of the product with the large producers.

I buy my meat locally from local farmers---always have, plus kill what I eat. I buy goats milk and produce locally when I can get it----buying the milk was/maybe still is illegal---I have to say I'm feeding it to my bum lambs....HA!, yes, it's not pasteurized.

Our medicines, our rare earth metals, our steel---they are winning the war without firing a shot.

We sure as hell don't want a democrat in the White House---maybe ever.......

I'm for getting tough with China, it's long overdue.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

gamekeeper wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:36 am A few weeks ago my GF bought some silk scarves, I too was a bit narked when I saw a "made in China" label, then I realized that is where they are supposed to come from ............ historically anyway... :lol:
I'm not sure what being "a bit narked" may be, but I think I'd like to try it! I suspect I live my life "a bit narked" most of the time already! :wink: :lol:

Yep, hard to find stuff "made in the USA". I'll settle for the time being with the stuff just not being "made in China". Don't mind supporting our allies, comes to that. Would prefer to find stuff made here. Just no longer willing to send a thin red cent to our commie adversaries... :evil:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Starting in the 70s, American Factories started churning out cheap "pelosi" to compete with overseas prices....
They've paid the piper dearly for that decision. I believe Americans would have bought quality items for a little more money...GM, Ford, Dodge,etc quality went to hell in a handbasket back then
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mickbr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by mickbr »

western governments and business leaders made it darn near impossible to get away from china. After the USSR broke up especially, the west undertook business with all those countries, opened up more relations with china. The 90's were a period of abundance, it was rejoicing throughout the land with all the cheap appliances, 15% stock returns, easy mortages , cheap vacations.... We even invented a bunch of fluff jobs like dog shampooers and hypotherapists and quality safety advisors just to give folks something to do. Then the wheels started to fall of the wagon, russia started taking over business in its old territories, outcompeting Europe, and we were left with a bloated society of nonsense jobs that dont support themselves
Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

I don't get it, what's wrong with China now? My SKS always worked fine.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain