Browning 1886 45-70 SRC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gregor
Levergunner

Browning 1886 45-70 SRC

Post by Gregor »

Been hitting the local shops since my flu furlough. Of the three guns I bought the last two days, I got a Browning 1886 45-70 SRC. I bought it for the fact it does not have the rebounding hammer and tang safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaZw0DV0lF4

This video is what I have. According to the comments, the saddle ring carbine was only made in 1992-1993 and is somewhat rare.

I may decide to update the sights to a Lyman, Williams or Skinner peep sight. Old eyes and all.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Browning 1886 45-70 SRC

Post by AJMD429 »

We look forward to an official Range Report...!

Leverguns of any make, vintage, chambering, or character, are FUN...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have one almost like it except mine has been shortened 3 inches and has a receiver sight on it. I really like it as it's the same length as a 94 SRC. So handy!
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

AJMD429 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:39 pm We look forward to an official Range Report...!

Leverguns of any make, vintage, chambering, or character, are FUN...!
Plus one to that.... congratulations on a great find :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Fun fun nice carbine 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Gregor
Levergunner

Post by Gregor »

Thanks for the reply's. My close friend has a .45-70 Marlin 1895 from 1972, so he has offered alot of information. I have been online getting items I need to load. Bought RCBS 3 die set and Lee collet FCD, brass and bullets locally. Going to see Mike at MasterCast in Enon Valley, PA to get some 405gr. LFP.

I noticed that the front sight base is integral with the barrel and the blade is pinned in. Will have to fab a new blade with a gold dot or fiber optic to see better.

Any opinions on a peep sight?

Planning on hitting two of the clubs this week, will report back.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Try some 300 or 325 grain bullets and 34 grains of 5744. It'll kill anything on this continent with a lot less recoil than those 405s.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Fisher-Price
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Fisher-Price »

Congratulations, I have both versions of the Browning. Now you need to hunt for the 26 inch barreled rifle, that is a beast. I found the rifle in a Myrtle Beach pawnshop of all places about 10 years ago. I bought my carbine when they came out. I asked for two boxes bullets and the guy behind the counter said “you aren’t going to shoot that rifle are you?” I said “Not until I get home in about 20 minutes” he just shook his head. Guess he wanted to sell to somebody that would keep it as a safe Queen. I never have worked with the carbine much as those sights are so fine. I need to get it dialed in. Keep us posted on how it shoots for you.

FP
Stevie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Stevie »

I own a Browning 1886 SRC awesome carbine. I purchased mine in 2012 from a Cabela's in Minnesota after some searching around for one online. These really don't seem all that rare as at the time there were quite a few to be found.

A friend of mine has both the Browning 1886 carbine and the rifle....the rifle is a heavy beast!....The carbine is no light-weight itself.

My carbine shoots great factory sights and all. These do have some short chamber throats and not just any bullets will work. Many owners/shooters have the chamber lengthened so they can shoot whatever long bullets. Also apparently you can rechamber to .45-90 if you so desire. I just use bullets that don't cause chambering problems.

Another method to get around the short throat chamber is the Hornady 'Leverlution' brass which is somewhat shorter than normal .45-70 brass. I use this with Hornady 400gr soft-points which have too fat an ogive for my Browning's chamber with normal length brass.
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

I have both rifle and src. I swapped the rear sight for a semi-buckhorn, but then it shot high so had to have a taller front blade put on. Both are currently at a gunsmith getting d&t for Skinner peeps.
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

I have one too. I bought one when they first came out but sold that and regretted doing that. A few years ago I saw another one and picked it up.

On the rear sight, I prefer an older steel Lyman or Redfield peeps. There is an outfit making a modern version of the Redfield peep sight. Another one to consider is a XS peep sight - they have to be the toughest option out there, but you’ll need to D&T the top of the receiver to fit one.

Miroku 45/70 barrels I’ve slugged have tight barrel specs, running around 0.457 groove diameter. That tight a barrel with no throat means some bullet designs won’t work straight up. If you can find a bore riding cast design the action will chamber and cycle 45/70 shells loaded to 45/90 length with ease, so there is no need to ream the chamber out to 45/90. By using the shorter Hornady brass and regular length brass you load most bullets without having to ream out the throat.

Accuracy is brilliant despite the really thin profile carbine barrel. I switched my buttstock over to a shotgun butt style that came off a Win Extra Light and find it much more comfortable to shoot with heavy loads.
Nazgul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nazgul »

Found mine at a gun show about 10 years ago. Still had the manufacturers tag holding the lever shut. Made a reasonable deal, paid for it and cut the tie and cycled the action. The seller almost fainted!!

Shot it on the way home.

Don
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I bought mine several years ago, from a local gun dealer. It's the High Grade, with engraving. I love mine. I have shot several hogs with mine. I had a gunsmith mount a Williams Foolproof receiver sight on it.
HOG WITH BROWNING 86 CARBINE 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lastmohecken on Sat May 16, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Gregor
Levergunner

Post by Gregor »

Ordered a wide variety of cast bullets from:
https://mattsbullets.com/

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/index.htm

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/

Going to try many different styles and weights then buy the mould. Bought some jacketed bullets also and different powders. Bob gave me his larger 3 ring binder full of reloading information and the book "40 Years with the .45/70" by Paul Matthews.

Contacted Macon Gunstocks to inquire if their 1886 shotgun stock would fit, in case I find the carbine stock not to my comfort. They said yes, but to call to verify fitment issues.

Great to see many rifles being used for their intended purpose. I plan to finish loading another 50 cartridges tonight and head to the gunclub the middle of the week.

Thanks for all the great information.
Gregor
Levergunner

Re: Browning 1886 45-70 SRC *Update.*

Post by Gregor »

Took advantage of the 60 degree sunny weather in NE Ohio/NW Pennsylvania to head out to 1 of the 2 gun clubs I belong to. I set up my Oehler 35P chronograph and shot at the 50 yd. target backstop.

The Good-

Carbine shot point of aim at 50yds. with the fine carbine sights. Functioned fine and shot well. Wasn't concerned with accuracy as much as not hitting the skyscreens.

The Bad-

Bullet- Magma 45-70-405 FPT BB 20-1 lead/tin from commerical caster. Single lube groove.
Case- Starline, new.
Primer- CCI-200, LR
Lee FCD used.
Oehler 35P set at 15 yards.

Load #1- IMR-3031, 38.5grs., 1335 fps. 2-3 inches.

Load #2- Accurate 5744, 29.5grs., 1411 fps. First round shot ok, last 9 KEYHOLED.

Load #3- Alliant Red Dot, 13.0grs., 1128 fps. C E "Ed" Harris' "The Load". Shot good with no keyholing.

Load #4- Alliant 2400, 24.0grs., 1324 fps. 2-3 inches, shot well.

Load #5- Alliant RL-7, 36.5grs., ?fps. Shot 7 rds, 2 were squibs that stuck a bullet in the barrel. The case fired and sounded as if there was a bad primer, just a "click", noticed no bullet in the case when I cycled the action. Tapped out the bullet with a M-1 Garand cleaning rod. Dumped unburned powder into the action. Fired 3 more standing, then the last one squibbed and stuck a bullet. This time the unburned powder jammed up the action to the point the lever and locking bolts wouldn't return to battery, ending my day.

Over all, it is a learning experience and am actually pleased with my acquisition. Once I get things sorted out.

Gregor.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"Load #1- IMR-3031, 38.5grs., 1335 fps. 2-3 inches.

Load #2- Accurate 5744, 29.5grs., 1411 fps. First round shot ok, last 9 KEYHOLED.

Load #3- Alliant Red Dot, 13.0grs., 1128 fps. C E "Ed" Harris' "The Load". Shot good with no keyholing."

That is so weird.....'the book' says that keyholing is from poor rotational stability, and since the bullet weight and contour and twist rate are all the same, the velocity increase should INCREASE stability, and vice versa.

I guess bullets don't read books..... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 6:30 am "Load #1- IMR-3031, 38.5grs., 1335 fps. 2-3 inches.

Load #3- Alliant Red Dot, 13.0grs., 1128 fps. C E "Ed" Harris' "The Load". Shot good with no keyholing."

That is so weird.....'the book' says that keyholing is from poor rotational stability, and since the bullet weight and contour and twist rate are all the same, the velocity increase should INCREASE stability, and vice versa.

I guess bullets don't read books..... :D
keyhole also happens from undersized bullets. Like when you try .375 bullets in your .38-55 and it needs .377 or larger.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I settled on the BTB 525gr piledriver for all my 45/70s... BTB has the best alloy I've ever shot, and I've tested quite a few.

It is a myth that the heavier bullets kick harder, if you load them to a TKO value vs a muzzle velocity value. My 525 gr load ran 1310" from a 10" BFR, to something like 1500fps from a 31" barrel. It makes something like 1425 or so from the marlin guide gun. I forget. But, the same bullet and load from all the 45/70s, including the browning src....

Matt's bullets hold promise, held up to the hammer test, but I haven't done full testing yet.

I think a 475gr modified piledriver might be the sweet spot for my uses, but haven't gotten around to trying that yet either.

I recall the browning src liked the cast performance 460s, but the marlins don't care for the rounded ogive, and I only use straight tapers in them....

Gregor wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:08 pm Ordered a wide variety of cast bullets from:
https://mattsbullets.com/

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/index.htm

https://www.montanabulletworks.com/

Going to try many different styles and weights then buy the mould. Bought some jacketed bullets also and different powders. Bob gave me his larger 3 ring binder full of reloading information and the book "40 Years with the .45/70" by Paul Matthews.

Contacted Macon Gunstocks to inquire if their 1886 shotgun stock would fit, in case I find the carbine stock not to my comfort. They said yes, but to call to verify fitment issues.

Great to see many rifles being used for their intended purpose. I plan to finish loading another 50 cartridges tonight and head to the gunclub the middle of the week.

Thanks for all the great information.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Now that I just recently retired, I hope to find the time to resume my handloading for some of my guns. For many years, my needs with the 45/70 has always been met with factory loaded 300 gr. hollowpoints. But I don't hunt anything heavier then deer and hogs, and the 300gr hollowpoints have always been very decisive for me, within the ranges I have usually shot, but on bigger game, I believe I would go to a heavier bullet.
NRA Life Member, Patron