Latest 1895 Winchester And A Few Test Shots

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Latest 1895 Winchester And A Few Test Shots

Post by Shrapnel »

I don't sight many guns in on targets, today was no different. Rocks seem to be my preferred target. I borrowed a bullet mould from Mike Venturino and went to his book on shooting lever actions to find a load to try. I am using a 38-55 250 grain bullet sized at .379 with gas check.

Wow, I'm in love again. This rifle shoots unbelievably well. I set a rock up at 50 yards about the size of a salt shaker, missed high and left. I dropped the elevation one mark and knocked the rear sight over a snitch and busted the rock with the next shot. I then put a rock up at 100 yards, moved the elevator up another notch and hit the rock dead center. I then moved the elevator up one notch at a time and it regulates to 50, 100, 150 and 200 yards on the first 4 notches.

I put it back down to the first notch and then went looking for a gopher that was't afraid of the Covid virus and shot him with another well placed 255 grain cast bullet.

Finding brass is difficult. If there is anyone with some 38-72 brass, I would like to get some...

Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Latest 1895 Winchester And A Few Test Shots

Post by Pitchy »

Nice shooten with a cool rifle. 8) :)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Very nice rifle! Good luck finding any brass. I have an octagon barreled '95 in .38-72 for which I purchased several hundred Jamison made brass cases back when they were making them. Unfortunately I lost it all along with my reloading equipment when the Carr Fire destroyed my entire property. I did save most of my guns, including the .38-72. I recently got a very old set of RCBS dies on Ebay and proceeded to attempt reforming some Hornady 9.3x74R brass. I got the brass through the sizer die and cut it to length, but the case diameter was too big for about 3/8" just in front of the web area. I thinned it with a file and got it to chamber, but I am not comfortable with using brass that has been thinned at the back instead of the front. I'm now on the hunt for some Hornady .405 Winchester brass to reform, but I have not been able to find any of that either.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

Love the '95! That one looks remarkably well preserved. Varmint hunting with the 38-72? Awesome! :mrgreen:
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Thanks for sharing your really cool rifle. I'm surprised that you didn't cut the gopher in two.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've never owned a '95 but I really admire that one. Last prairie dog hunt the eagles came flying in at the sound of gunfire. We just had to move.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I guess your marksmanship saved that gopher from catching the virus.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
elmo123
Levergunner 2.0

Post by elmo123 »

Nice rifle.
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

I have a 40-72 in the same rifle that I have killed a few things with, now I hope to have this sister rifle doing the same thing soon...

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

IIRC, another member of this forum has been known to shoot prairie dogs with his 1895 .405 WCF.
Anyone heard from Leverlover of late?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

Already been there. My understanding is Bertram brass at half the price is still not good and I bought all but 2 of the Buffalo arms brass and one has already split with only one firing. I thought I had gotten all of the brass at Buffalo Arms, so I went back to see if they had gotten any more, but they only have 2 left...

Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I own this 95 carbine. When I bought it about 45 years ago the rear sight was missing. A close friend, a old man who was into guns gave me and mounted a Buffington rear sight for me and the holes matched! We didnt have to drill. However the handguard wont fit over it so I dont use it. The rifle is accurate. It`s .30 army. (30/40 craig). It came from Az. I would like to fantasize it could have been a Arizona or Texas Rangers rifle.

https://i.postimg.cc/ZRB8cYZt/Win-95-424583.jpg
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Very nice. Looks like a good shooter too.