Done

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: What's Your Reloading Setup Worth Today if You Had to Replace it?

Post by yooper2 »

Dunno in dollar terms as a lot of my gear is considered antique. The only modern stuff I have is a hornady digital scale for weighing brass, a lyman "black powder" measure, a Dillon square deal, and maybe 10 sets of dies. Everything else is older than me and much it came from my grandad or dad making it priceless to me. How much do Hollywood presses go for? Belding and Mull powder measures? Tru-Line Jr with 14 compete sets of dies? My granddad's self knocking lyman 55? This doesn't even get into the boxes and boxes of old bullet molds.

Short answer, I couldn't replace my gear.

Eric
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

That gets scary when you think of if it were stolen or burned up in a fire; few of us probably have all the receipts for one thing, and few could sit down and list ALL their stuff. We'd remember the big stuff, but all the accessories and adapters and spare parts and so on
would never be documented, much less replaced.

Same thing happens when a hobbyist (of any kind) dies....few people appreciate the monetary value of stuff like that at auctions or estate sales...

I guess it just illustrated the evanescent value of 'stuff' versus relationships.

One reason to SHARE our hobbies with others...at least someone will be there who can inherit and/or appreciate those things, or advise our next of kin what is garage-sale material versus 'collectible' material...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Just the equipment alone would be well over $5000. Toss in all of the accessories and supplies and it might be almost double that. I'm thinking of dragging out my first Lyman just for kicks.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

$3K to $4K anyway.

Like many (most?) folks, I picked it up a little bit at a time over many years.

Some of the stuff is older than I am. The only set of 30-06 dies I own is probably
70 years old. Still work fine, too.

-Stretch
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'd personally rather spend that time reloading than to spend it searching the internet all evening pricing it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Shrapnel
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Shrapnel »

I really don't know, but it is over $1,000.00

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

As a plus you have avoided equine, aviation, marine and racing. Some of you have not avoided off road.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I don't want to think about it! Less than it used to be 'cause, in a fit of ignorance, I sold my Magma casting machine and automated star sizer. Retail? Just guessing: $10K.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

COSteve wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:58 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:45 am I'd personally rather spend that time reloading than to spend it searching the internet all evening pricing it.
Took me about 20 minutes to make up my excel spreadsheet with the exact information. What with the time I had, I consider it 'recreation' these days. :D
I'd be shocked if I got it done in half a day.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Scary to think about Steve, but an interesting exercise. I'm with marlinman in figuring it'd take me several hours to get a close estimate. At least nearly everything I have is readily replaceable (just takes money). There are a few old items that would take some searching to replace. I'd just have to have an A2 press, 'cause the hands just wouldn't quite adapt to anything else. And the little Herter's pistol powder measure -- I don't think anybody makes anything to match it.

45 sets of dies (maybe a couple there that no longer have a gun to match so might not need quite all those). Even going mostly all Lee that'd go over a grand. Harrel's and Redding powder measures -- still readily available but pricey. Hornady progressive -- readily available and I'd hate do do without it. half-a-jillion bullet moulds wouldn't all need replacing. I only have a dozen or so (oops, maybe couple dozen) that I'd just have to replace. And then there are all those bullet-size dies that most all get used and sure don't come cheap (especially for the Star).

Anyway, YIKES!!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Since I reload with both modern, and vintage (antique) reloading tools, many of them would be tough or very expensive to replace. I've pretty much retired my RCBS, Lyman 55, and other powder measures once I bought my Harrell's. I just have numerous powder hoppers for the Harrells instead, so I can quickly change powders, and click in the numbers to set it for the charge.
But I've got Ideal Powder measures #1, #2, #5, and #6 that I occasionally use too. Some can be replaced not too badly, while others would be a big hit. And I still occasionally use my old Ideal-Marlin tong tools for both casting, and loading on oddball stuff.
Have a couple presses I use. A RCBS Rockchucker I've owned since the early time I started, and a Lyman Turret press. I've sold all the other presses that were progressive as I rarely used them. So these two do everything I need.
And die sets, or other specialty reloading tools too numerous to count in my head. I'd have to take them all off the shelves as those not seeing use often get pushed to the back, and those most used stay in front. Then add up all the bullet molds, and handles, plus equipment for casting, ....not to mention all the brass, powder, etc., etc. I'm tired just trying to think about it now.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

yooper2 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:09 pmShort answer, I couldn't replace my gear.
Ditto!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

Having been burned out in the 2018 Carr Fire, I had to make an inventory of my reloading equipment, ammunition, and reloading components for the insurance company. I had an estimated 100,000 rounds of loaded ammo and nearly that much more in components. The worst of it was losing all my hard-to-find dies, bullet moulds, and brass for obsolete calibers. It was difficult to remember in detail, such as how many top punches I had for the eight RCBS Lube-A-Matic bullet sizers I had, but what I was able to recall came to just shy of $105,000.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Like you Steve I keep a spreadsheet on everything I spend towards my hobby. I've done so for about 20 years, so missed the first 15 or so. Still, let's just say I would not want my wife finding this. Until after I'm gone. Then hopefully she won't be ripped off (though all of it will go to Y2K anyway - her jewelry goes to my daughter). If she finds it before, I'll be in a grave by morning! :shock:

Suffice it to say, for reloading gear alone, I'm in your neighborhood (not quite as bad as my stuff is mostly Lee Precision so not as expensive (but not as high quality either).
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

COSteve wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:38 pm
Shasta wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:14 pm Having been burned out in the 2018 Carr Fire, . . . what I was able to recall came to just shy of $105,000.

Shasta
Is that a typo? One Hundred and Five Thousand Dollars!!!!!!!!!

That's the price of a small house in some parts of the country!
I'm not saying that is how much I had invested. I am saying that is what it would cost me to purchase replacements for what I had (price a box of loaded .38-72 Winchester ammunition or a set of dies, or .405 Winchester ammunition, or a box of 2 7/8" black powder shells for a 10 gauge). It adds up very quickly if you had a lot and have to buy it's replacement rather than making it yourself. The insurance company said replacement cost and I used retail prices for all I had that was destroyed.

Shasta

COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

OK, just the reloading equipment and bullet casting equipment would cost me about $28,400 to replace. It took me 50 years to accumulate all that stuff and there ain't no way I could ever replace it all. I have replaced the presses, powder scales and measures, some moulds and a couple lead furnaces and other necessities to get back into reloading.

Shasta

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

It’s enough trouble remembering all I’ve got as domes not set up and in boxes . I know I have seven MEC 9000’s , a
Two Grabber’s , two 650’s , a Steelmaster , a Sizemaster and seven 600JR’s . A PW Mettalic II , CH-4D big enough for the 505 , two Lee Loadmasters , Lee 1000 , RCBS 4x4 . Two Lyman 4500’s , an old Lyman press , a Lyman 45 . Five lead pots approx 120 molds and God knows how much stuff that I don’t consider larger ticket items . I have a small fortune in tools made by Browne & Sharpe as well as Starret . I hesitate to say but by loose estimation to replace the majority at normal retail I’d most likely be between 30 and 35 G’s . But I might add if it all was lost and I went to replace I think I’d go back to my roots with the shotgun loafers ! Get five of the PW 800’s and a PW LS-1000 for all the progressive stuff then Sizemaster’s for the five gauges I load slug and buckshot . Also might go with a Dillon 750 and four or five head setups for pistol rounds . But replace the PW Metallic II and the CH-4D .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

All I know is I'm NOT remodeling my kitchen again- I saved base cabinets from the old kitchen for my loading bench! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve