new vs. used.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rossim92
Senior Levergunner

new vs. used.

Post by rossim92 »

The last pistol i bought was the cz pcr for 400 bucks which was 200 0ff retail price. the guy traded it in for one with a light rail. The thing is a very nice gun. no hiccups even after 300 rds... I bought from a dealer that had it on consignment. :D Are the odds for or aginst you when buying useed as compared to new? most dealers sell as is, especially on consignment. I'm not a fan of buying used guns online, such as gunbrokers, or armslist, etc. I like to hold and fondle it first. :oops:
Rossi 92 .357 lever , and a cz pcr 9mm
Henry .22 lever, Remington speedmaster 552 .22 lr
Marlin Glenfield .22 boltaction
gforce 12ga semi
Taylor's Tactical 1911 A1 FS in .45acp
winchester 1873 44.40
Marlin 336W .30.30
beeman sportsman rs2 dual caliber pellet rifle
henry .22 magnum pumpaction/octagon barrel
stag 5.56 m4 with reddot
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: new vs. used.

Post by AJMD429 »

Some of the best guns I've owned I bought used.

I do insist on mechanical soundness and at least decent notes.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:03 pm Some of the best guns I've owned I bought used.

I do insist on mechanical soundness and at least decent notes.
+ 1
I can't remember the last brand new gun I bought except for an air rifle.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Most of the stuff I buy works pretty well - new or used.
And I've gotten some terrific stuff used at good prices, including
a Bonanza press.

There have been some notable exceptions, though.
A Rossi revolver and a late-model Hi-Power are two that
come to mind. Both needed significant work to be usable.
And they were both new.

I got taken on a Norinco 45. That was used. I need
to send it to an expert to see if anything can be done.

Other than that, I've had pretty good luck.

Some stuff you just have to realize you're gonna work on. War-surplus
Mosin-Nagants are not always clean and ready to go out of the box,
for instance.

But a brandy-new Hi-Power ought to be, don't ya think?

-Stretch
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Don't say "used." It's "Previously Enjoyed."
Especially when you find one that was well taken care of.
:D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have very few firearms that I've bought new. Most are military surplus or vintage guns. Anytime I'm in a gun shop the first thing I do is head for the Previously Enjoyed counter. :D Over the years I've bagged some pretty good stuff.
Last year I bough two new S&W revolvers, one works perfectly, the other was junk and the factory refused to fix it. The best new pistol I've bought in years is a Cold National Match Gold Cup. It will chew the center out of a target!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Used guns, like used brides, should be eyed with some suspicion, However I have had good luck with both and conversely had trouble in the past with new ones.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

New or used, I've had good and bad experiences. The bad were mostly minor, except that hammered double I bought off Sixgun... But, with a little work by a gunsmith even that is now a sweet, long barrelled shussgun! Fit for very light loads only, mind ya, but fit it is!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Ugly Truck Guns are a bargain and (usually) work pretty good if the innards are sound. Like old ugly people, they seem to appreciate the attention and respond favorably. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I rarely have purchased a new gun my whole life. But I've also only purchased two used guns online. If you can find a used gun locally that you can look at before buying, then I think used is a very good option. But it's tough for me to buy a used gun from pictures and a description since the mechanics and bore can always be debatable about what buyer and seller thinks of their condition.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

marlinman93 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:22 pm I rarely have purchased a new gun my whole life. But I've also only purchased two used guns online. If you can find a used gun locally that you can look at before buying, then I think used is a very good option. But it's tough for me to buy a used gun from pictures and a description since the mechanics and bore can always be debatable about what buyer and seller thinks of their condition.
I agree, I have bought a few guns online and the disappointment when they are NOT as advertised is a pain, I try very hard to resist online sales but it's difficult when they appear perfect and reasonably priced.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

I ve bought quite a few guns used online and normally with no problems that said the only used guns I m a bit hesitant with are muzzleloaders are they require a bit of extra care and maintenance especially the bore.Currently I m eyeballing this

DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

I've bought a lot of pre-owned and new firearms. I have seldom had issues. I got screwed royally on AR15.C__. Seller had lots of feedback, all of them good, took a lot of pics, said all the right things. Gun was Swedish Mauser M96 supposedly perfect, all matching numbers, no import marks, near perfect wood and blueing. I opened the gun box in front of the dealer I had it shipped to. First issue, the caliber was scratched into the wood, like it was done with a nail, numbers over 1/2" each!!! No import mark, as it was obviously peened out!!! Bad dent on right side of stock!!! He took lots of pictures, but not even one of any of these issues. I sent all our e-mailed conversations, his add and pictures to the websight, along with the pics that I took of the issues. I asked seller for refund and he refused. I appealed to moderators on websight, only to be ruled against. I even tried the U.S. Post Office as I paid with a Postal Money Order, and they refused to do anything. I paid $800 plus shipping and transfer fees. I sold the gun for $300 and was lucky to get that!!! I will NOT buy another gun online!!!!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

One thing I learned the hard way was to always demand a three day inspection / return on any item . I once nearly took a weeks vacation to take a road trip so I could knock on an idiots door. probably would have ended up in trouble. :twisted: .
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Last used gun I bought was a model 94 in .32 Special from Kittery's. It was exactly as described and works perfectly. I am looking forward to things opening up so that I can try it on a pig. NO, I have nothing at all against the .30-30, and I have one. I just wanted a .32 Special. Someday I will probably rebarrel a Marlin 336 to .35-30. No need, but it sounds fun. However, buying my .32 Special from Kittery's was a good buy. I paid a fair price and got a nice rifle that works. I am pleased with the rifle. Sometimes it is good to pay a fair market price to get one that works.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Simple....buying a used gun is like buying a used car......condition, functionality, reputation of seller, but most of all, you had better KNOW what your buying.....if you know what your looking at, the reputation of the seller don't mean nothing, unless he's a dirtbag selling stolen stuff. If you don't know what your looking at don't take the word of the seller....have someone help you out. .....unless you like to gamble and can handle the loss.

Over the years I've helped out many people and I've been thanked a lot.

I've never bought online as there's no need to around here......There's more collectible/used guns around here than you can shake a stick at.....

Comes down to common sense.....can you trust your local dealer? I would not trust ANYONE online unless the dealer/seller is reputable. Buying from a private individual online puts you at risk having problems the seller does not disclose, the gun may be stolen, or worse yet, you may be buying a picture.

None of these things can be learned by asking a question.....books and years of experience takes the guesswork out. Not heeding that advice can get you a diploma from the "School of Hard Knocks".----6
Model A Uzi’s
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Over many years I must have bought at least 200 to 300 guns. Probably the majority of them used. Bought only two used ones off the net the rest face to face. I never "got took" but had a good old collector friend that was my mentor when I started out.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Most anything I want hasn't been manufactured in atleast forty years so worrying about buying new is a moot point and if you can find stuff that old that's claimed unfired NIB the premium for this I cannot afford or would be willing to pay if I could afford it .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !