Winchester 71

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Montey007
Levergunner

Winchester 71

Post by Montey007 »

Does anyone on here know where I could find a trigger spring for a Model 71? Numrich does not have them in stock. Or does anyone know if there is a spring that will fit from another rifle? Thanks
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Winchester 71

Post by 44shooter »

I'm not sure but I think the 1886 is pretty much the same rifle so maybe even a reproduction 1886 spring may work.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I have not had the pleasure of taking a 71/86 apart, is it a coil spring or a flat ?
If it's a coil you could always count the number of coils, measure the diameter of the wire, measure the OD and ID of the spring itself then start doing some online searching. Search coil springs. If it's a flat spring you'll have to find someone that can forge and fit one for you.
Good luck !

Also- if you know someone with a lathe that has the ability to cut threads you can make the spring! The coils are matched to a thread pitch gage, that tells you how many coils you need, brownells has spring wire. Need to turn a mandrel that fits the ID, pinch the wire with the jaw of the lathe chuck and spin the headstock and you have your spring!

https://www.winchesterguns.com/support/ ... rvice.html
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The trigger spring or hammer spring?
Both are coil.

The Browning 71 and 1886 use coil springs but I'm not sure they can be used. Haven't tried it.
Last edited by vancelw on Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

Montey007
Levergunner

Post by Montey007 »

Thank you all for the ideas. I seem to have one piece trigger so the Browning spring might not fit. I’m going to try it and will let you know.