My 1st Safe Queen -- H&R Sportsman "1 of 999"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

My 1st Safe Queen -- H&R Sportsman "1 of 999"

Post by Old No7 »

Yeah, the timing of this really stinks, I'll admit...

It's really not the time or environment to be adding a gun to my collection that I'll never shoot or dry fire, but the purchase of it was started well before the news got as bad as it is now. And I also acquired it for several hundred bucks less than the last three I've seen sold went for, so when I put in a low bid, I really didn't expect to win it -- but hey, I did! Lucky me. :wink:

So here we have an Engraved "1 of 999" H&R Model 999 Sportsman in a wooden case with a commemorative coin. I've bought several "New in Box" 999s before, and each show a slight impression of a brass case and the star extractor on the recoil shield, after they were fired/function tested by the factory -- but this one shows nothing at all. Oh sure, I have lifted the latch to open it up -- but I always lift the latch when closing it (which is a good practice to follow on H&R top-breaks). I've not cycled the trigger or cylinder at all, so there's no turn mark on the cylinder or anything for wear on this pretty piece.

Oh well, she'll sit in a case (wrapped in a treated rag, actually) for a bunch of years, and will be pulled out once in awhile to admire or for show, but she complements the other H&R Sportsman models that I have.

Now that I'm not out on the road 2-3 days a week, maybe I'll have to update my old "3 Sportsmen Walk Into a Gun Shop" posting and put them all into one image.

Tight groups.

Old No7

H&R Sportsman 1 of 999 (1).jpg
H&R Sportsman 1 of 999 (2).jpg
H&R Sportsman 1 of 999 (3).jpg
H&R Sportsman 1 of 999 (4).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Old No7 on Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My 1st Safe Queen -- H&R Sportsman "1 of 999"

Post by RIHMFIRE »

very Nice!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Its plain to see why it should be in your hands, the Queen has a good home

Brad
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That is one very nice revolver, I wanted a 999 but never found one for sale over here that wasn't too well used. Congratulations Darryl great score... :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Very nice!
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I know guns have souls and really want to be put to use afield, or guarding the innocent, but...everyone ought to have at least ONE 'Safe Queen'...! 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

That's a beauty! H&R has had some real winners over its history before the Freedom Group shut them down.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

SWEET! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Dang, that's a beauty!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That same gun was my very first handgun I ever bought many decades ago. Bought it brand new when they came out. Never planned to buy a fancy engraved gun, but it was so pretty I had to own it.
Got a plain Jane version purchased in Browning Bros. shop in Ogden in 1929, along with a Browning Bros. holster.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:00 pm That same gun was my very first handgun I ever bought many decades ago. Bought it brand new when they came out. Never planned to buy a fancy engraved gun, but it was so pretty I had to own it.
Got a plain Jane version purchased in Browning Bros. shop in Ogden in 1929, along with a Browning Bros. holster.
Ooh, that's a very nice early model for sure -- nuthin' plain about that one in my eyes! Thanks for sharing!

Lift up the latch when closing the gun too, as that helps keep the lockup tight for a long time. Too many H&R shooters "slam them shut" (because they can?) but that will eventually cause some slop in the critical barrel latch-to-frame fit.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Abusing any firearm is not good. Those top break pistols were nice and accurate if treated right.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I think it's always a bad thing to slam a gun or cylinder closed. But not necessary to lift the latch. The instructions for these old H&R handguns don't mention that being part of the procedure. Just gently close it, and it should last forever.
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

One of the few revolvers I miss, had both the 6" and 4" sold them off years ago due to a divorce, have looked for years for the supposed version in 22mag, have never seen one, nor found a 999 in my area for sale, nice buy
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I recall my dad having one in the 1940`s. Had to be the first handgun I shot. Actually he had two. He traded one for a 1936 chev (first car I drove) and replaced it with another.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

I have a couple Dad bought before WW2. One of the most comfortable grip (the one piece one) ever.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I look at the grips on my old Sportsman and think they look ugly. But then I hold it and shoot it and they really shine. They are extremely comfortable, and fit my big hands better than anything else, with the exception of the large S&W target grips.