New Shotgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

New Shotgun

Post by jkbrea »

20200330_215125.jpg
I picked up this RIA VR80 12 gauge semi auto on sale for way under 6 bills. I had the opportunity to try one at SHOT show. I absolutely love it. It comes with two five round mags but a 9 and 19 rd mag is available. 19 rd mag looks kind of cartoonish but works. It also comes with 3 chokes and an extra piston for 3" shells.
My entire experience with shotguns was in LE and primarily Rem 870 pumps with buckshot or slugs.
The VR 80 is based on an AR rifle as far as operating it. Same mag release, bolt release but oversized, and has an open bolt after the last shot.
I found a bunch of mixed shotgun ammo, birdshot, turkey loads, 00 buck, and slugs. I've fired about 50-60 rounds through it and it has been flawless. Recoil is very negligible, probably because if the AR buffer spring. The stock can be replaced with any AR stock.
I threw a cheap red dot sight and shot a 2" group at 100 yds with some Winchester X 1 oz slugs.

Being quarantined at a gun club ain't that bad!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: New Shotgun

Post by Griff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Looks fun. Hope things don't get bad enough that it becomes a necessity.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I got a Saiga a few years ago, and so far it has been very fun, reliable, and FAST to shoot.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:10 am I got a Saiga a few years ago, and so far it has been very fun, reliable, and FAST to shoot.
I tried to "outrun" it by shooting it as fast as I could. Cycled perfect!
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

Very cool. Congratulations. I haven't seen many reviews of the VR80, but if the few possibly objective ones, they have been remarkably positive and I am, to my own curmudgeonly surprise, quite interested. Would appreciate some updates on patterning, reliability, and any issues over time.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

We have a highly ranked three-gun shooter who practices on our local range. Watching her run a similar platform is awesome. That's some fine performance at 100 yards!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

8) 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

While it looks like fun, and obviously works very well, my tastes lately run more to this:
shotgun.JPG
It ain't near as sexy or as fast but it does work. For around $100 each you can stash quite a few of them around the property ... :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

JimT wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:34 pm While it looks like fun, and obviously works very well, my tastes lately run more to this:

shotgun.JPG

It ain't near as sexy or as fast but it does work. For around $100 each you can stash quite a few of them around the property ... :D
Like.

Handis seem to be coming out of the closet during Coronacation. Several different posts on different fora recently. I have several rifles and two 20 ga- a fully rifled Traker II that shoots a 370 grs round ball at 1230 fps rather well and smoothbore on a faux case colored receiver fitted with Classic Carbine stocks that, honestly, looks quite elegant. Good guns to have. And, as you note, quite economical.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

PSA has an 'AK' style 12 gauge for $399....
Screen Shot 2020-04-02 at 9.03.10 PM.png
https://palmettostatearmory.com/jts-ak- ... m12ak.html
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I've been wondering how well those worked. Kinda cool.

Jim T. I have an H&R that looks just like yours. It's a sad thing with a 3" shell!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

2ndovc wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:11 am I've been wondering how well those worked. Kinda cool.

Jim T. I have an H&R that looks just like yours. It's nasty with a 3" shell!

jb 8)

JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

2ndovc wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:11 am
2ndovc wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:11 am I've been wondering how well those worked. Kinda cool.

jb 8)
That one is a 20 ga. and it ain't too bad. The 12 ga. is the one that will hurt you. Hurts on both ends!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

JimT wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:48 am
2ndovc wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:11 am

jb 8)
That one is a 20 ga. and it ain't too bad. The 12 ga. is the one that will hurt you. Hurts on both ends!
That's for sure! First time I fired a 3" slug it made me take about three steps back, and I'm 6'2" and about 235. I asked our youngest, who is just as tall as I am but 170, maybe, if he wanted to try it. He said "No Way"! laughed my butt off. :D
jb 8)

AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

JimT wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:34 pm While it looks like fun, and obviously works very well, my tastes lately run more to this:

shotgun.JPG

Reminds me of an old 12 bore I bought from a widow woman way back in the latter part of the 20th Century. She'd taken three long guns into the local hardware store to see if he'd buy them, but he wasn't interested. I gave her what she wanted for them (Remington 760 in '06, Remington 511 22 LR and a no-name 12 bore singleshot). There was quite a bit of ammo for each of them, including two almost full boxes of 3" #4 buckshot. I figure it was ALMOST full because her late husband shot it a time or two and repented of ever doing that again. I was young and dumb enough to shoot a few of them through it, but ran the rest through a friend's Mossberg 500.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

shotgun.JPG

Sorry to the OP for the digression. My 20 ga H&R. Useful little grouse gun
7BA5A497-3F65-4F38-A5E9-531151DD20C6.jpeg
AB2DC2D7-F3F5-4622-BEB8-48F78D3B18D5.jpeg
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

DocRock wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:34 pm

shotgun.JPG

Sorry to the OP for the digression. My 20 ga H&R. Useful little grouse gun

7BA5A497-3F65-4F38-A5E9-531151DD20C6.jpeg
AB2DC2D7-F3F5-4622-BEB8-48F78D3B18D5.jpeg
It wouldn't be the Leverguns Community Forum if there were no thread drift... :lol:
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com