Muzzle Brake/Flash Suppressor side-BLAST....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Muzzle Brake/Flash Suppressor side-BLAST....

Post by AJMD429 »

I had one of the Clinton-era 'Muzzle-Brake' AR's that was a nice, accurate gun, but the pinned-on brake was way too LOUD....

So I found a snug-fitting piece of PVC pipe that fit over the brake, and thought maybe it would make it quiet.

The first shot burst the PVC into three pieces.... :shock:

As seen in this video - https://youtu.be/Vt9DzhoTnjU - there is LOTS of pressure at those side ports....!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Muzzle Brake/Flash Suppressor side-BLAST....

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Muzzle blast from a 223 ripped a nice slit in my subzero milbag when i didnt quite have the muzzke past it. Have you watched Hickok45 video on revolver cylinder blast? He uses hotdogs to simulate fingers.. Todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

The side blast from the muzzle brake on my daughters Weatherby Mark V 7mm Wby Mag would blow dust and papers off two bench rests on either side of hers.
After getting the scope set right, we stayed away from the range and just hunted it.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Also watch out where you put your hand on the M1A forend... A friend was shooting mine rested on a HEAVY canvas bag, and the blast out the little vent-hole blew a big hole in the bag. I think it might peel a finger deep enough you might lose it from infection.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

You ought to sit next to a guy at the gunclub who is shooting a 338 Lapua mag that has a brake on it. The blast will blast your ears and about what's not nailed down on YOUR bench.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

32-20 Guru wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:28 am You ought to sit next to a guy at the gunclub who is shooting a 338 Lapua mag that has a brake on it. The blast will blast your ears and about what's not nailed down on YOUR bench.
Yeah I shot mine for the first time from our 'shooting shed' that had several inches of snow on the roof and a couple inches had drifted in on the 12 ft wide bench itself. The bench was swept clean, AND the concussion made all the roof-snow slide off at once...!

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Had a guy in school that put together a beautiful 7mm mag. He cut/fit/milled an absolutely gorgeous full tapered octagon with vent rib and integral brake. Bunch of us were out on the prairie shooting and this guy drives up, throws his sand bags on the roof of his car, climbs up and gets set up. 1st shot shattered his windshield! Before we could get him to stop he had shot another couple, the wipers were destroyed, plastic vents at the hood were loose. Yes muzzle blast is nasty!

Lab I had years ago was a creeper while shooting. She would sit next to me when plinking but crept forward each shot. One day I was shooting my 338WM and she crept out to muzzle length. After the full concussion hit her she stopped creeping !
BROWN LABS MATTER !!