Lyman 56 receiver sight help request... photos

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Lyman 56 receiver sight help request... photos

Post by mod71alaska »

This Lyman 56 receiver sight came on a 1949 Winchester Model 64 Deluxe I have. Is the 56 a period sight for 1949, or is it newer? How does the Lyman 56 sight compare to other receiver sights? Thanks a lot.

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

By gum! That sure looks a lot more robust than the Lyman 5 receivers sight I just bought and it broke while sighting it in. If you don't want that sight, I'll be happy to buy it off you! :)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Victor -

If that sight works half as nice as it looks, you should keep it "period" or not! :D
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Victor -

If that sight works half as nice as it looks, you should keep it "period" or not! :D
Jay, The sight works great and I plan to keep it on the rifle. I want to learn more about the Lyman 56 as I don't normally use a receiver sight.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Okay, another embarrassing revelation – I’ve never used one. Never had an opportunity to shoot a rifle so equipped.

Looking forward to your first range report with it Victor. Take care!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The 56's came into use in the early 30's, from Madis' information. I believe they were used til the 50's. I think they are the best looking and most practical of the receiver sights. I've been accumulating them for my favorite levers for some time.

The "coin set" hunting knobs from current production 66's fit the 56's. I've removed all the target knobs from mine and repleced them with hunting knobs to reduce the chance that they will rub against something and change the setting.
TooTech
Levergunner

Post by TooTech »

I've got the same configuration Lyman 56 on my 1953 model 94, and my 1957 model 71. Both appear to have been on the guns a long time.

IF you decide to remove it, a big mistake IMHO, it will bring good money on eBay!