Somewhat quieter.......

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Somewhat quieter.......

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Re: Somewhat quieter.......

Post by 1894cfan »

For .223/5.56mm try 4gr Trail Boss with a 55gr FMJ. Got that load from the Hodgdon web site. Try looking there for subsonic 7.62x39 loads. HTH

Another load I've come up with is 6gr Trail Boss with Speer 70gr semi-spitzers, pretty much the same as the 55grainers but with a heavier bullet. FYI, I tried the 4gr trail boss load with the 70gr bullet but got it stuck in my AR barrel, couple inches from the muzzle, was pretty easy to tap out. Then tried 5gr trail boss, made it out the barrel, but not what I was looking for. Then tried the 6gr load and had better success with it. HTH again

I take that back about the 7.62x39 subsonic loads, looks like they don't have anything like that. Try playing around with Trail Boss, I wouldn't go higher than the shoulder with the TB powder. Good luck.
Last edited by 1894cfan on Sat May 09, 2020 7:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I haven't made any for an AR, but I did make some for my Mini 30. A little Unique and a .32 DEWC shoots great, but the same thing. Straight pull bolt gun, but very quiet. Even more quiet in a 7.62x54 Mosin. :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I don't have those problems with my stop-assault rifle.
IMG_0184.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Had a trailboss/52 grain cast bullet load that was subsonic and shot pretty good in my single shot and bolt .223 but never tried,in my gas guns. Lost interest when I finally got another 22 Hornet. That cast bullet over a dab of Bullseye does a great job at quiet pest control.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Ray, I've been using Blue Dot in 223 with a 34gr HP and 50gr SP, reallly happy with the accuracy and velocity. If you google "Blue Dot loads for 223" there is a couple good write ups. One guy has data and pressure for up to 60 grain bullets.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If it can't function reliably in semiauto mode, it has no advantage over a levergun, and if the loads are no better ballistically than a 45 ACP it has no advantage over a semiauto pistol, so I'd either sell it, or put a suppressor on it. With a suppressor, even supersonic loads are tolerable.

The best compromise may be a gun designed around an intentionally-subsonic round like the 300 Blackout, or 45 ACP. I have a 300 Blk AR pistol that is vying to replace my MechTech 1911 'carbine' 20 round home protection device.

The 223 AR pistol got relegated to 'truck-gun' status as a 'get back home' contingency-gun.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Keep a close eye on the cases when loading sub sonic levels. They need a certain amount of pressure to seal in the chamber, so if you begin to get black soot on the outside of the necks raise the charge a little. It can be just as dangerous to go too low as it is too high.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/