Keeping busy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Keeping busy

Post by Marvin S »

I started a LH late Lancaster rifle las fall and finished it about the first of the year and started a LH Tennessee in February and am glad I have it to work on especially since my county just started a stay at home order.

I have posted several pictures on traditional muzzle loading forums under gun building. I go by Kansas Kid on that forum.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Keeping busy

Post by gamekeeper »

Wow, that's what I call a project :mrgreen: all I have done is give my $32.50 Cooey 12 gauge a make over. Please tell us more about your Lancaster rifle.
IMG_20200325_142306.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

It is a percussion rifle with 13/16 .40 cal green mountain barrel. I installed a globe front sight and peep rear. The fixed open sights also fit the dovetails. The new GM barrels are real shooters and load easy since they went to narrow lands and deep grooves.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

There's something about a muzzle loader that modern guns never have, what ever it is yours has it in bucket loads. Beautiful and capable rifle very nicely built . . . . :mrgreen:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I call it my club match cheater rifle because of the peep sights. Can’t wait to try it in our yearly table match. Closest overall distance to the X placed under your bullet hole wins.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Marvin S wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:42 am I call it my club match cheater rifle because of the peep sights. Can’t wait to try it in our yearly table match. Closest overall distance to the X placed under your bullet hole wins.
Isn't that similar to what Davy Crockett did in the 1950s Disney movie ? :D
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

That's a great way to keep busy, and especially since you already had everything to complete it!
I've been working on numerous projects around home, but occasionally have to wait when I need parts. If I can order the parts I simply switch to something else. If I can't order parts I set the project aside and switch to something else.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Gamekeeper I think it is . That’s just one thing I like about muzzleloading matches is the variety of matches.
Marlinman I had a small parts order from TOTW come in last week mainly needed one underlug a 1/4-32 tap and a couple 1/4-32 white lightning touch hole liners.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

One occasionally sees a muzzleloader at the range. Around here, they are just not real popular. As far as that goes, I have one that uses percussion caps, but it is a modern design. It can also be set up to use shotgun primers. No, it is not allowed in some State Muzzleloader Seasons because it is inline. It is fun to use from time to time, but I am toying with the idea of getting a flintlock kit and learning how to put it together. I understand that making it work right can be a lot more work than it appears. The timing of the pan opening, the spark, and the pan closing to direct the flash into the touch hole to set off the main charge is important. It is understandable why good gunmakers were held in high regard 200 years ago. Still, learning how to use a flintlock would probably be fun.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

If you want to build a high end flintlock and are right handed look at Jim Kibler’s kits. CNC machined and supposed to be very easy to assemble almost cheating.