Strange days

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Strange days

Post by 2ndovc »

Youngest stepson and his wife have birthdays this week. We had them over last night for dinner, which I always enjoy. I've been keeping his 10/22 since they got married because she has issues with firearms. I asked him to come out to the garage with me and gave him his Ruger, spare mags, ammo and a S&W .38 Spl. Told him to put them in his trunk and stash them in the house somewhere when he got home. They live near a pretty rough area and I've been really worried that he wouldn't be able to defend himself. He surprised me and didn't argue and appreciated that I was worried about them. We haven't always gotten along, but as he gets older it seems that we can agree on things more often than not.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Strange days

Post by fordwannabe »

A step Dad is someone who choose’s to be your kids Dad.
Well done sir. And ain’t it amazing how much smarter WE get as THEY get older🤗 They do hear what you say while raising them, even if they don’t listen.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I often wonder how anyone could marry someone who doesn't want firearms in the house, I've always been " love me love my gun" .
I'm pleased that your stepson accepted the advice and offer.... 8)
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

fordwannabe wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:42 am A step Dad is someone who choose’s to be your kids Dad.
Well done sir. And ain’t it amazing how much smarter WE get as THEY get older🤗 They do hear what you say while raising them, even if they don’t listen.
I am amazed at how much he was paying attention. He's done a lot of renovations to their house on his own, with a little guidance here and there. He's really grown up in the last couple of years and I think he finally figured out that it's a good idea to ask people that have been there and done that. :D

GK,
I feel the same way. Blondie was quite taken aback by the horde of firearms in my house when we met but didn't object. My stepson's choice in a significant other continues to baffle me. My wife and I were talking one day about it and I said I was hoping he would bring home some hot little chippie to look at. She said; so was I! :D

jb 8)

GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nice he has come around. Hopefully he wont need to use them ! Maybe this situation will be enough to make her rethink her not liking guns...
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:00 am I often wonder how anyone could marry someone who doesn't want firearms in the house, I've always been " love me love my gun" .
I'm pleased that your stepson accepted the advice and offer.... 8)
Talking about our love of guns...

I was out in Western North Dakota and Eastern Montana last July and came across a great BD card for my best friend, who just turned 68 three weeks ago. It's a cowboy standing with his hand on his SA revolver, stating "you're not too old if you can still cock your pistol".

......so, hope you all can still cock your pistol (revolver) !! :D
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It's amazing how quickly people who "don't like guns" change their mind, if they perceive a threat...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good job.
I have 2 step sons and one son. When I met my wife I made it clear right off that I was a gun guy. It is who I am. Her sons were 8 and 10 at the time. She entrusted me from the start and I raised them both as my own. Introduced them and her to firearms and shooting almost immediately. She did the same with mine as there was no involvement from X-spouses. We are very proud of them, and very lucky. They are grown now but we are all still close. While interests and careers vary, firearms are something we all share to this day.
I always felt a huge amount of responsibility. That is the ultimate trust a mother can give you.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Totally agree.
Her boys were 10 and 13 when we met. I started them out with .22lr single shots and went from there. We all enjoyed the trips to the range and to our cabin. Our oldest is one of the best rifle shots I've ever seen and still loves to go shooting with me. The youngest one and I haven't always gotten along but I think as we've gotten older, we are both making an effort to try harder. He's a good kid and very smart, but just makes me crazy that he won't finish his college degree and would rather drive a forklift for a living. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but he always wanted to be an architect and has the talent for it. I understand not wanting to be in school anymore and I've told him that. I started Graduate school and decided I'd rather work for my dad building houses and appreciate everything he taught me.

jb 8)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds as if your advice and example are finally getting put to use. Better slow than not at all.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good for you Jason! :D

I think at some point with every first date I ever had I mentioned firearms. If she didn't like them there wasn't a second date, no matter how good she looked! Then again, I've been married for 30, almost 31, years now, so I haven't had a first date in quite a spell. She obviously passed the test - and was the best looker of them all! :D

Y2K and I prepped the house (even more) this past weekend. He is home from college, it having closed until at least 4/6, though we both suspect it will remain closed through the rest of the semester. Several colleges and universities in the state announced moving the remainder of the semester to online learning this past weekend, along with cancelling graduation ceremonies. I never attended mine (was already working), but it is a shame after 4 years he probably won't get to attend his. :cry:
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Jay,
I didn't go to mine either, I was already too busy.
It's a weird world we are living in these days. I would tell him now, and have, to go to a trade school. HVAC guys are getting hired in at $40 an hour in our area, Even more if they have a refer certification. I can't find a finish carpenter no matter how hard I try. I put myself through school doing that stuff, but none of these kids want to get their hands dirty anymore.

jb 8)

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

2ndovc wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:13 pm Jay,
I didn't go to mine either, I was already too busy.
It's a weird world we are living in these days. I would tell him now, and have, to go to a trade school. HVAC guys are getting hired in at $40 an hour in our area, Even more if they have a refer certification. I can't find a finish carpenter no matter how hard I try. I put myself through school doing that stuff, but none of these kids want to get their hands dirty anymore.

jb 8)
You hit the nail on the head Jason. The young adults these days don't want to work with their hands unless it is typing on a keyboard (he says as he types on a keyboard :roll: ). Our society has indoctrinated a couple generations now that they need to go to college to be successful and happy in life. What a load of horse-stuff. Yes, with the right degree, if you can control the cost, it is still a solid bet. But the country needs a lot of skilled trades, and too few are interested. Only thing worse is the morons who spend 6 figures on a worthless degree (like anything with the word "studies" in the title).

I was talking with the GC I used on our backyard project a couple years ago. He has a buddy who owns a specialty-welding company north of Charlotte (they focus on power plants and petrochemical facilities). He can't get enough people. He was willing to take anyone with a high school degree or equivalent, pay them while they apprentice, and then if they were willing to travel to the Middle East of a bit, they'd earn $100K+ a year right off the bat! Do that for a couple-few years, come back and start your own business. If I was 30 years younger...
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I would have done that in a minute 30 years ago, I do appreciate what my parents did for my sister and I and how hard they worked to give us the things that not everybody had. I grew up on a 40' sailboat cruising the Great Lakes and racing other sailors. My parents drug us all over the world sailing and going to historical sites. Couldn't have asked for a better childhood. My dad taught me a lot and I thank him all the time for what they did for us.

jb 8)

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:D :D :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Nothing at all is shameful about honest skilled labor. Not enough people are willing to learn a trade anymore. Sad! I have a Nephew who is a Welder. How can you be anything other than proud of that.
D. Brian Casady
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I've often thought these kids today would benefit greatly from military service. Just think about a drill instructor taking on these snow flakes. We would have a generation of PROUD AMERICANS again. Not to mention the GI bill for further education, and time to muture and learn skills! I'm sorry my knees weren't good enough to become a Corp of engineers soldier...

With that said all these people that look down upon the trades don't know that without us tradesmen the lights don't come on, toilets don't flush, the roof doesn't leak, they are warm or cool, they can drive across this great country, you get the idea.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Interesting turn of events. He did tell his wife that I gave him the guns to take home. She understood my concern and was ok with it. Maybe they are finally growing up. :D

jb 8)

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I can put my own water heater in and silver solder the joints where there are no leaks. If I run into a problem, yes I call a plumber. I have a little skill with it, but I know my limits. The water heater I put in nine years ago is still holding. No leaks. It took me 4 or 5 hours to get it in place and then clean up and flux each joint that needed put in. This one was set up for threaded parts, and I had to go to my local hardware store and get the right parts. Took an hour. Got the silver solder and emery tape, as well as the flux there. I already have the MAPP gas capable torch. Possibly I could use propane, but my skills are not up to it. Go hotter and work as fast as it will allow for me. That way the silver solder flows into the joint and seals it. A licensed plumber could have got it done before I even had all the parts. Thing was, I enjoyed doing it. Yes, skilled tradesmen are a necessary and honorable part of our society.
D. Brian Casady