Help - Bullets shaving.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Help - Bullets shaving.

Post by gundownunder »

Hey Guys.
I've got a problem.
Been using my 357 loading dies for 15 years for both 357 and 38spl and never had a problem.
Started using a set of 38spl dies to do the 38spl and found that they are shaving the bullets during seating.
It isn't the case mouth doing the damage, but the inside of the cases is pushing the lead up as the bullet goes down.
Case o.d after resizing is .373, and then goes out to o.d of 376 after bullet seating.
Is my resizing die too small, or is my expander plug too small, or what.
And if it is the resizing die, how the heck do I take a couple of thou out of a carbide ring.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Re: Help - Bullets shaving.

Post by Shasta »

I was having the same problem with my .44-40 reloads. I cured it by using a deburring tool on the case after it had been run through the expander die.

Shasta
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Coupla things to look at methinks:

1. Are you flaring the case necks? If not, you'll shave lead bullets, but jackteted may seat okay.
2. Check the diameter of the expander in your 38 special sizing die. It may be a thou or 2 smaller than the older die.
I have two sizes for my 7.62 x 39 die set depending on what diameter bullet I'm using. The bullet will usually expand
the case a thou or two if you insist, but it may shave lead bullets while it's doing so.
3. Or what Shasta said..... :D

Let us know what happens!

-Stretch
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Many years ago Rev. Taylor recommended keeping a .50 bmg bullet on the bench for an expedient multi-caliber flaring tool.....

I had a spent one that my grandad gave me from his days as a d.o.d. civil servant armorer circa 1974......

It really works !

The .50 bmg. component vendors will send you pulled surplus sample(s) for $5.....
m.A.g.a. !
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Your expander/flairing die is not opening the case mouth enough. You did not say what brand die you are using but different sized expander plugs are normally available from the makers as a replacement part. Measure yours and measure your bullets. I use expander plugs about .003” smaller than the bullet diameter.
Try the expander from your .357 die set in your .38 special die set they are made by the same company they may fit.many .38 special die sets were designed to be lead bullet friendly, others were not.
Merle
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Merle »

Shasta wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:28 pm I was having the same problem with my .44-40 reloads. I cured it by using a deburring tool on the case after it had been run through the expander die.

Shasta

here is your answer..... :!:
Merle from PA
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

but the inside of the cases is pushing the lead up as the bullet goes down.
This is the interesting part. Gundownunder mentions bullet is not shaving as in the normal meaning of the term, but perhaps swaging. My questions are where do the "shavings" appear, if and and when is the damage done? During seating or is seating/crimping done in the same step?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

When I'm loading 44-40 I use .429 bullets so I put my 44 Mag expander/flarer in.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Mikid got what I wanted to convey.
I seat and crimp in one go, but the swaging is occuring before the crimp. I tried partial seating of a bullet and with still about an 1/8" to go I noticed some lead had pushed up. It isn't the mouth of the case, as it happens even when that is well flared separately.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Have you got a batch of REALLY soft bullets?

-Stretch