Social Distancing = Reload Bench time

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Social Distancing = Reload Bench time

Post by 3t- »

Following the advice of our leaders I am spending time this weekend away from other members of our species. Besides the machine shop in the garage I will be at the loading bench in the basement. I have a pair of Marlin 1894s in .357 mag that would come in handy if one was to need to settle an unruly crowd in the coming weeks...or just wanted to go the the range for some fresh air.

This brings me to loads. The only loading I have done for the .357 mag was when I owned a Winchester Trapper in .357 years ago. I used Lil Gun under a 180 grn WFNGC bullet. Good results but not too many loads fired. I plan to load up a few hundred Hornady 158grn XTP Hp bullets and have about 10lbs of each, H-110, 2400 and Lil Gun. I have printed load data on all of these but was curious if any of you have favorites that you load? I will also probably shoot some of these out of a SP101 and possibly a 7" Redhawk if I come across one at a reasonable price.

Thanks for any recommendations.
regards

3T
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Social Distancing = Reload Bench time

Post by 3leggedturtle »

13.5gr of 2400 with a 180gr FP gets 1600fps out of my 20" Puma.. todd/3leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I use the same charge with 180's and 158's.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I like all 3 powders. A word of warning, L'iL Gun gets the barrel hotter and does it faster than the other two. If fast and sustained shooting may become a need, I would go with 2400 or H110 over L'iL Gun because of the heat issue. Try both the H110 and the 2400 for accuracy. Go with whichever shows better accuracy in your rifles. They should all give good accuracy in a pistol. Prior experience with all 3 has been good as far as accuracy is concerned.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I like the 125 gr. jacketed bullets in the Rossi '92 ... getting close to 2100 fps in the rifle. OOOPS! Sorry ... Should read "I am getting over 2300 fps in the rifle." Here are the chronograph results:
357.JPG
357-1.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I was spending some time with my 7 year old son today and let him make up some 45 Colt bullets. He enjoyed learning how to make bullets.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I like 14.0 gr. of 2400 pushing a 158 gr. JHP.

Works great in revolvers from 2" to 8.5"

-Stretch
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm pretty busy most days, so social distancing, or self quarantine seems to be the norm for me most days. Lately I've spent my spare time on a '39 Chev coupe I'm building. When it's done I'll begin more casting, and reloading. That should take me through December this year, and hopefully things will straighten out by then!

Today's project was building a package shelf behind the bucket seats, and a divider wall between trunk and passenger compartment.

Then a cover in the trunk to hide plumbing and wiring to the fuel cell.

Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well by this time tomorrow I will have more information for you. I was at the loading bench tonight and was loading cast bullets from a new Mihec mold for my Marlin 1894 in 357. I loaded 10 hollowpoint each with 12.0, 2.5, 13.0, and 13.5 of 2400. I also loaded 10 each of the rnfp from the same mold same powder charges as above. Great minds working alike I guess. I am going to the range tomorrow meeting a buddy and do some experimenting. Taking my Henry 22 mag also because I have done a little scope swapping and it needs resighted.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

Thanks guys for all the recommendations. I think I'll start off with the 2400 at 14 grns give or take. That is pretty consistent with my loading manuals. These rounds are pretty much "punch a hole in it at 50 yards" type of accuracy so this seems like a good place to start. I use 2400 in my 44 spec. and 44 mag loads so have some experience with it.

MM93 it is nice to have some "working with your hands" type of distractions with all the crazy stuff going on right now, glad i have a home "shop" to keep my hands and mind busy. So far my house is lucky and both the wife and I are still working. Wife from home and me still going into the plant every day. Our area has not gone to the "stay at home" orders...yet. Between the loading bench and the projects in the garage I would have no problem entertaining myself, my kids on the other hand (college sophomore and high school sophomore) are going a little crazy having been sent home for the rest of the school year. :shock:

Jim I showed my kids the "quarantine choices" video you posted and still can't stop laughing that guy is absolutely sure of his choice...priceless. :lol:

Thanks again and everyone keep safe and keep loading and shooting. It may come in handy before you know it.
regards

3T
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Yesterday, cast 1000 bullets, and reloaded 100 rounds of 38spl.
Today, cast 1000 bullets, and reload 100 rounds of 357.
Tomorrow, same again, in 32-20.
I haven't been able to spend this much time in the reloading shed for years.
Can't get any more Win 296 down here, so will have to redevelop new loads with 2400, which I need to get from the other side of the country in my own car.
I've got a couple of years worth on the shelf, and hopefully the borders will reopen before I run out.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Well after today’s range session no real winners but a trend. Both bullet types did much better at 12.0 grains of 2400 than the higher charges. I was using 50/50 pure and we so my alloy may have been too soft. At 50 yards anything from a beer canup is as in trouble with any of the six loads buuut I was hoping for better. First I am gonna cast up some more with a harder alloy. Second I will retry these same bullets with H110. The fun continues.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

gundownunder wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:35 pm Yesterday, cast 1000 bullets, and reloaded 100 rounds of 38spl.
Today, cast 1000 bullets, and reload 100 rounds of 357.
Tomorrow, same again, in 32-20.
I haven't been able to spend this much time in the reloading shed for years.
Can't get any more Win 296 down here, so will have to redevelop new loads with 2400, which I need to get from the other side of the country in my own car.
I've got a couple of years worth on the shelf, and hopefully the borders will reopen before I run out.
Can you get H110? Same thing.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Only powder in the west is ADI.
Alliant is available in the eastern states but you gotta go there and bring it back yourself, and all state borders are now closed.
We may actually be only days away from declaring martial law, which may be the only way to get people to actually follow the governments isolation policies.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

As I've always done, I don't knee jerk react to things in the environment. But I've always prepared for possible shortages, and built up supplies when there really wasn't any pressing issue to make me want to. If you waited until now to realize you were low on loading supplies, or ammo you missed that boat!
I went through the .22 rimfire shortage without even noticing it. Only thing that changed here was I stopped buying .22 RF when the demand got stupid, and over inflated. I did the same with brass, and firearms. I've owned probably 5 or 6 AR15 type rifles, but never bought one during inflated prices. I always waited to buy one when the bottom dropped out of the market, and then sold them later when people were going nuts wanting them. I can't recall ever paying over $500 for an AR, and the one that's sitting in a corner loaded and ready now was under $400 new a couple years ago.
So anyone who waited on things everyone wants today deserves to pay through the nose to get it.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well, I was caught short... I'd been working down my supplies of paper products, as I was anticipating going back to work last week! I've gotten 2 of my 4 burn piles of brush burnt... (or I should say my son has), caught a sunny day on Saturday, and despite the puddles in the yard, mowed to my heart's content! It's much too damp here for me to be outside, what with the lingering cough, I just don't feel up to it. Biggest problem I have, is I sit up til the wee hours of the morning reading or watching TV (love to record shows so I can fast forward thru the commercials), then sleep in til past noon! Great for texting with the Russian girlfriend, but... not so much for getting out getting things done!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'm embarrassed to say, I really need to clean a backlog of firearms. :oops: I used to be so disciplined; I cleaned everything the day I shot them. Then life happened, and getting time to shoot became a big enough challenge, let alone cleaning. Now the only things that get cleaned immediately are blackpowder firearms and defensive firearms. Others wait.

Then I'll move on to reloading. Then some casting.

Is it bad that part of me hopes this last for a few months? :oops: