Winchester Model 94 Trapper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Cap
Levergunner

Winchester Model 94 Trapper

Post by Cap »

Hopefully this is the proper location to ask questions about a particular lever action rifle. If not, please advise and let me know where I should post my inquiry.

My local gunshop has a used Winchester model 94 trapper in 30-30 cal.
Its a little different than trappers I have owned or seen in the past. It has checkering on the stock and the old time butt plate that is curved or sort of crescent
shaped and looks like the butt plate on a Springfield Trapdoor. All of the other trappers I have seen have the straight plastic butt plate. Serial # shows TR3519.
Was this a special production model? It does not appear to be all that old.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester Model 94 Trapper

Post by ollogger »

Hi From Wyoming !
Seen one like that on GB awhile back, it left me with questions also so cant help, other than what trappers I have I really like

ollogger
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I have one as described but it is a Legendary Lawman commemorative version.
The TR in the serial number may denote a commemorative also. Does the receiver have any plating or engraving?
Another possibility is the that the original wood on a standard production trapper was replaced with wood from one of the commemorative carbines.
If you can, post some pictures.

Oh, and welcome to the fire!
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/11/19/th ... emoratives

The "TR" serial numbers were a Teddy Roosevelt commemorative. Look about 1/4 way down the page.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Joe...I am not sure that the Theodore Roosevelt rifles came in Trapper...from here -- http://www.commemorativecollectors.com/

1969 THEODORE ROOSEVELT 30-30 cal. 56060 mfg. (rifles & carbines)
Engraved nickel plated receiver, nickel plated forend cap, buttplate and barrel bands, pistolgrip stock
RIFLE - 26" heavy octagon barrel, w/ half magazine $545
CARBINE - 20" heavy octagon barrel $545
Consecutively Serial Numbered Matched Pair – Rifle & Carbine $1200

However, the Texas Ranger model did come in Trapper length...

1974 TEXAS RANGER 30-30 cal. 4850 mfg. $750
Plain blue receiver, flat comb stock w. Texas Ranger star in stock, 20" round barrel
TEXAS RANGER PRESENTATION 150 mfg. $3750**
High polish blue finish, XXX fancy wood, 16" trapper length round barrel, Texas Ranger star
mounted in lucite block in Presentation Case

Interesting thing is that for the Trapper model, there was no medallion insert in the stock, like for other commemoratives. OP should easily be able to see the round hole in the stock, unless the stock was swapped. Also, the serial number seems to fit a 4 digit run better than a 50k run for the Teddy. However, from pictures, it doesn't seem as if either version had a checkered stock/forearm, unlike , say, the Cowboy or John Wayne commemoratives. Maybe the stock was swapped, if it has no medallion cut-out and is checkered??
Last edited by alnitak on Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

alnitak,

Thanks for correcting me. The site I was looking for isn't the one I used before and I made an assumption not based on good info..

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Cap
Levergunner

Post by Cap »

I'll try to get some photos posted, if I can figure out how to do it. Not real hi tech.
This Trapper does not have plating on the receiver or engraving, just plain blue. The butt stock has the Legendary Lawman medallion embedded into the butt
stock on the right side. Its definitely the Legendary Lawman medallion, based on some I've found on the internet and definitely appears original or very well done.
I think maybe OldWin and Alnitak may be on to something in their responses with the possibility of somebody taking the legendary lawman stock and putting it on a
Trapper with the TR3519 serial number.
Not sure what the TR3519 may have been originally. Does it stand or Trapper, Teddy Roosevelt, or maybe even Texas Ranger.
The Savage 99.com site says it was made in 1982

I'll work on posting photos, thanks for all of the responses.

Cap
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

The TR doesn't stand for Trapper. My Trapper just has standard serial number, 60xxxx. I also found this for a Texas Ranger serial...
_DSC0123__57656.1581952937.1280.1280.JPG
so, seems to start with "RAxxxx". I doubt it is a Teddy R., since that was a 50k run and would have a serial of "TRxxxxx" vs. only four digits, and the TR had special coloring and engraving.

Good luck with your investigation. (One way to find out is just email Winchester...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Could be like my '67 Canadian Centennial someone made into a Trapper. 5 digit ser #, I got with a plain stock, but put a XFancy on it with a curved buttplate.

Sometimes, if the factory don't make what you want... you make do!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Always loved seeing that rifle, Griff...sure is purty!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

alnitak wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:28 pmAlways loved seeing that rifle, Griff...sure is purty!
And she sure shoots good also! Double the fun!

From what I remember, the Texas Ranger Trapper was available for purchase by active Texas Rangers.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Ahh...that probably accounts for the low volume, 5k, run.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Yeah. Griff's little carbine was how I ended up with this.
My Legendary Lawmen has an LL prefix. I think most of the commemoratives and special run rifles did.
Many of the post 64 parts available for many years came out of the parts made for these rifles. Stock sets were also. I think Gun Parts sold a lot of them.
Many custom rigs were built from these parts supplies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

We have to remember that from about 1978 on through the end of days in New Haven, Winchester was living hand to mouth, churning out "commemoratives" and special editions at a pretty remarkable rate. And there were definitely some parts bin specials.

So the idea that some trappers were made up with leftover Teddy Roosevelt receivers and fancy wood doesn't strike me as odd in the least. A 16" 30-30 sounds awfully handy to me and if it looks good to boot, I'd jump on it.