If the coronavirus is present and there are no more facemasks

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

If the coronavirus is present and there are no more facemasks

Post by JimT »

202003050015225e60449a4b861.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: If the coronavirus is present and there are no more facemasks

Post by AJMD429 »

Screenshot_2020-03-04-22-08-59-1.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Jim, that's going to my huntin' buddies!
Walker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Walker »

Hey Doc, isn't that last night's price?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You know that people are selling hand sanitizer for 5 or 6 times what they paid for it.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

piller wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:52 am You know that people are selling hand sanitizer for 5 or 6 times what they paid for it.
I just used a quart of it to start fires!
Last edited by 3leggedturtle on Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

I keep a cleaned out about 6 ounce plastic bottle of elmers "Kids" glue filled with alcohol in the Jeep and fits in my pocket......just twist the top and squirt out.....a qt. of alcohol is about $2. I keep the same in my range box. Kills germs and washes my hands if I eat.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Skeptic that I am, I wonder it would be as big a deal if it weren’t an election year. Numbers aren’t really any worse than a serious flu outbreak. Protections are exactly the same.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:27 am Skeptic that I am, I wonder it would be as big a deal if it weren’t an election year. Numbers aren’t really any worse than a serious flu outbreak. Protections are exactly the same.
I think you are right...
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I can see absolutely no election leverage in a novel virus on the loose. Markets absolutely despise uncertainty, and plunging markets are not good for incumbents.
As to comparisons with influenza, yes, flu kills many thousands in the U.S. each year, but the mortality rate is an estimated 0.1 percent. COVID19 is showing a mortality rate of 2 percent -- vastly higher. Flu is killing one person per thousand; COVID19 is killing one in 50.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

FWIW and sorta-not-quite-on-topic; I understand a virus is smaller than a bacteria (smallest known 400 nanometers, virus is 20-400 nanometers diameter) So are the masks available for "protection" able to filter out something as small as a virus? I think the "pores" or "holes" in a mask are large enough for air to be breathed through are larger than a virus, so they are ineffectual (?)...

Quote from WebMd; "Bottom line: Nobody knows whether face masks or respirators really protect against flu".

My significant other's "substitute mask", as used in the pic, would cover 3/4 of my entire head. A bit larger than an average Asian lady's "mask"... :lol:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

mikld, the masks do two things: restrict the spread of virus-laden droplets when someone already ill with the virus coughs, and help prevent as-yet uninfected wearers from touching their nostrils and mouths with hands bearing the virus. Add glasses to help keep your contaminated fingers away from your eyes.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

People who are infectious should be wearing masks. People who aren't wont avoid infection by wearing a mask.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:28 am I can see absolutely no election leverage in a novel virus on the loose. Markets absolutely despise uncertainty, and plunging markets are not good for incumbents.
As to comparisons with influenza, yes, flu kills many thousands in the U.S. each year, but the mortality rate is an estimated 0.1 percent. COVID19 is showing a mortality rate of 2 percent -- vastly higher. Flu is killing one person per thousand; COVID19 is killing one in 50.
Well think about it. The economy is doing great. Trump isn't impeached. Suddenly the virus shows up, markets crash and all manner of bad things happen. Dems use it to attack Trump. Maybe the Chinese are working with the Dems to remove the guy that put tariffs on their products.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:28 am I can see absolutely no election leverage in a novel virus on the loose. Markets absolutely despise uncertainty, and plunging markets are not good for incumbents.
I THINK (just speculating) that we will find out the fatality rate is vastly lower, because there are likely far more people already infected in the U.S. than we know, and they are out there feeling sneezy or whatever, but not that ill, and not seeing doctors, or if they are, they aren't being tested because either we don't have access to the tests, or because they aren't all that sick. So that could dramatically affect the case-fatality rate.

However, if it is like most of these viruses, it will be more lethal to those of us over 50, which might mean the levergunscommunity forum could avoid having to expand their server storage space next year.... :shock:

Good overall diet and hygeine and so on do go a long way to surviving infections though. That means most of us other than Sixgun should do ok.... :mrgreen:

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My news seems to be carrying two things stories on the virus and stories on how Trump isn't doing anything to help.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Does the news ever miss a day when they don't find some way to point the finger at Trump and put him down? It's the same broken record every day, with just fill in the blanks for whatever they can say bad about Trump that day.
gbflyer
Levergunner

Post by gbflyer »

80 of those suckers in this bag. Maybe I’ll EBay them!
5B2D4B33-A330-4D44-8130-9398C2B384BB.jpeg
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

marlinman93 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:15 pm Does the news ever miss a day when they don't find some way to point the finger at Trump and put him down? It's the same broken record every day, with just fill in the blanks for whatever they can say bad about Trump that day.
See this - http://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewt ... 75#p872423... :mrgreen:

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

AJMD429 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:46 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:15 pm Does the news ever miss a day when they don't find some way to point the finger at Trump and put him down? It's the same broken record every day, with just fill in the blanks for whatever they can say bad about Trump that day.
See this - http://www.levergunscommunity.org/viewt ... 75#p872423... :mrgreen:
That's exactly what Trump is referring to when he talks about the fake news. People laugh and say he's crazy, but they don't want to admit there's been a smear campaign going on by the liberal media ever since he decided to run for the office. It's only gotten worse after he won the presidency.