A Levergun Companion: Uberti's "El Patron" SAA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

A Levergun Companion: Uberti's "El Patron" SAA

Post by Old No7 »

For some time now, I've been hankering to get a decent Single Action Army in .357 Mag to be a companion piece for my Marlin 1894 Cowboy (24") levergun in the same caliber. I found a decent Pietta model for a low price, but it had the transfer bar without the firing pin on the hammer, and to me, it wasn't authentic enough (granted, it's not a Colt). So I started looking around and asking at the range and a few friends told me to keep my eyes out for one of Uberti's "El Patron" competition models. They said they were factory tuned and timed. Turns out, this is what the web says about this model:

"Gun Review: Uberti's 'El Patron'
Uberti offers their custom shop 'El Patron' in 357 magnum and 45 Colt. Barrel lengths are available in 4.75, 5.5 inches and the new mounted Cowboy competition CMS version with a 3.5 inch barrel . The El Patron is also offered in stainless steel with a highly polished finish as well as the blue/color case hardened frame.

With the release of the El Patron, cowboy action shooters have an off-the-shelf revolver that's ready for competition. Most cowboy action shooters spend a good deal of money bringing a standard single action up to competition standards. They have the action tuned and many other improvements done by the best gunsmiths specializing in cowboy guns. What makes the El Patron, or in English “The Boss”, unique is that all the enhancements shooters desire are already done by the custom shop in Italy.

When Uberti decided to create a competition single action revolver for SASS matches the best parts were chosen and sent to Uberti's custom shop where the cylinder and frame are stamped and reserved for each individual revolver. One artisan hand fits each revolver from start to finish, according to Uberti. The cylinder chambers are numbered 1 thru 6. Uberti contracted with Wolff gun springs to provide springs for the trigger group, hammer spring as well as numerous other internal springs.

Patent numbers on 'The Boss' are placed in the same location as on the original Colts. The finish is deep blue on the barrel, grip frame and cylinder with the hammer and upper frame case hardened. Those familiar with case hardening know this is not the easiest finish to get right. Uberti takes great care in finishing these pistols they are beauties!

The front sight is 1/8th inch in width.The top of the frame is notched deeper and wider to accommodate the wider front sight providing a much improved sight picture while still preserving the traditional look. The rear sight is also machined deeper in the top strap to match the front sight. The trigger is tuned to match standards. Most will have a trigger pull of right about 2 pounds, and the pull is crisp with near non-existent take-up. The trigger is excellent and certainly contributes to small groups when the shooter does his or her part.

The grips are walnut and checkered by hand. The grip to frame fit is perfect with no unsightly gaps anywhere along the grip frame. The front of the cylinder is beveled with no sharp edges to cut your hand. The cylinder rotation is also very smooth. The timing on the revolvers is also very well done."

I'd been watching these in local shops or on GunBroker starting at about $519 but never found a better deal, until now... I stumbled onto this "used" one on GB, bid on it,and won it. But I'll be darned if I can find a mark, line or any indication anywhere that it's ever been cocked or fired before -- not too shabby at all for only $405 delivered. I think I lucked into a great deal on this one.

The trigger pull on mine is a shade under 2 pounds, with no creep, and the action has the classic 4-clicks which spell "C-O-L-T" like it's supposed to do. All in all, I'm really pleased with this one. I know some folks don't like the Italian SAAs, but I'd highly recommend a closer look at the El Patron models, they might just change your mind.

Now I've gotta get her out and bust some caps!

Old No7

My El Patron (.357)
01.jpg

Stock photos (45 Colt)
04.jpg
05.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: A Levergun Companion: Uberti's "El Patron" SAA

Post by Griff »

They certainly have a good reputation. And while they're much better than the average SA clone, they're still not quite up to real competitive standards. Excellent workmanship and a good basis for a competition gun. Enjoy.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I lucked onto a similar Taylor "Tuned", Uberti "Smoke Wagon" at a gun show a few years ago.
https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-gu ... wagon.html

I am very pleased. I can not imagine any way to improve it.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Very nice! Looks like ya done good! :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hope it hits right where you point it. Looks good.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Cool !! 8) .
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

All that blue and gold discoloration on the frame is a sure sign of weakened metal; I wouldn't fire it. However as an expert metallurgist, I would be happy to check it out and see it I can salvage it for you. Just send it to me, and I will shoot a few thousand rounds through it (I'll even provide the ammo at no cost to you), to be sure it is safe to fire.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Atta Boy Doc.!! Someone Here is always available to lend a hand. :D .
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are