When I was a kid .....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

When I was a kid .....

Post by JimT »

cereal.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Bird

Re: When I was a kid .....

Post by Jay Bird »

I remember that well.......reading the boxes and sometimes ordering stuff that was advertised.......a big day for me was getting these "frog men" that you put baking soda in and they would squirm around in the sink.....

I also remember me wanting to eat my breakfast after my dad was done his as he would knock the box away saying it was rude to read while others were conversing.

Now you know why I am the way I am....never did like rules.....---6
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I used to listen to Sgt. Preston of the Yukon and bought a piece of ground in the Yukon from a cereal box of Quaker Oats he was advertised on. I got 1 square inch of Yukon Territory. I had the deed to it for a long time.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Not bad Jimbo...a square inch in the Yukon?

I wonder how they got away with stuff like that back in the day........reminds me of the guy in the late sixties who took out ads in multiple big city newspapers that read, "Last Chance, Send $1 to......"........This guy brought in many thousands of loot...can't remember how much but it was a lot....the Feds took him to court but he prevailed because he didn't promise anything. :D ----6
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep... a whole different world! And I still read at the breakfast table... except now it's usually a fiction novel.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

JimT wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:33 pm I used to listen to Sgt. Preston of the Yukon and bought a piece of ground in the Yukon from a cereal box of Quaker Oats he was advertised on. I got 1 square inch of Yukon Territory. I had the deed to it for a long time.
Did you get the mineral rights? :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I not only read cereal boxes, I built a small fort of them in front of me so I didn't' have to watch my dopey little brother eat his cereal. He had a habit of pouring too much milk into his bowl and then dunking every single Cheerio methodically with the back of his spoon that made me want to strangle him.
Dear God I love him. Funny how that works out ...

:lol:

Plus one on Sergeant Preston and the baking soda frogmen.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah, and I remember my mother reminding me that the stuff on cereal boxes wasn't necessarily true, but it was whatever the company that made the serial wanted to children to think about.

Unfortunately, too many of today's mothers don't think that deeply, and just flip on some NPR-approved Children's Program or hands the kid a tablet, and then go check their own Facebook why the kid gets propagandized.... :|
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

JimT wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:33 pm I used to listen to Sgt. Preston of the Yukon and bought a piece of ground in the Yukon from a cereal box of Quaker Oats he was advertised on. I got 1 square inch of Yukon Territory. I had the deed to it for a long time.
Maybe we could all combine our 1 square inch and have enough for a gold claim.
I also had a ring with a spring loaded cannon to shoot Quaker Puffed Wheat and Quaker Puffed Rice. "The cereal shot from guns."
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:23 pm I not only read cereal boxes, I built a small fort of them in front of me so I didn't' have to watch my dopey little brother eat his cereal. He had a habit of pouring too much milk into his bowl and then dunking every single Cheerio methodically with the back of his spoon that made me want to strangle him.
Dear God I love him. Funny how that works out ...

:lol:

Plus one on Sergeant Preston and the baking soda frogmen.
Guilty of that with the Cheerios, but not one at a time... :oops:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

Spent the summers up in Vermont at "The Farm", defunct as such by the time I was around but an apple and dairy farm up until WWII and where my grandparents retreated during the Depression with six kids. No electricity, my grandmother having met the government folks on the road in the 1930s holding a rifle when they electrified the mountain with "We don't want it and it will never catch on!". No hot water but what got heated on the wood stove. Anyway, the adults would put the battery powered radio on in the morning to get the news while I ate breakfast and then there was often a story on the radio - I remember The Wind in the Willows one summer - and I 'd sit in the wood box next to the stove drinking tea. Then it was out to gather kindling, split wood and so on. Eat lunch and then run wild in the woods all afternoon with a hatchet in my belt and, after I turned 8, a Marlin 1892 in 22 (still have it), as long as I was back before sundown.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

DocRock wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:38 am Spent the summers up in Vermont at "The Farm", defunct as such by the time I was around but an apple and dairy farm up until WWII and where my grandparents retreated during the Depression with six kids. No electricity, my grandmother having met the government folks on the road in the 1930s holding a rifle when they electrified the mountain with "We don't want it and it will never catch on!". No hot water but what got heated on the wood stove. Anyway, the adults would put the battery powered radio on in the morning to get the news while I ate breakfast and then there was often a story on the radio - I remember The Wind in the Willows one summer - and I 'd sit in the wood box next to the stove drinking tea. Then it was out to gather kindling, split wood and so on. Eat lunch and then run wild in the woods all afternoon with a hatchet in my belt and, after I turned 8, a Marlin 1892 in 22 (still have it), as long as I was back before sundown.
What a great way to grow up.

I think I would have liked your grandmother...!

We did have electricity though, and I still have my first (and second) 22 rifles.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Doc, wonderful memory! Y'all must be "getting up in years." God bless you.
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:22 am Doc, wonderful memory! Y'all must be "getting up in years." God bless you.
Well, at 53 I feel like I'm "getting up in years" but I suppose I've still got a few good ones ahead :mrgreen:

I was a "pleasant surprise" shall we say, 14 years younger than my youngest sibling and probably a bit of a shock to my parents I their mid and late 40s. But my parents and all the aunt's and uncles were Greatest Generation. Never met my Grandmother of "we don't want that" fame. My grandfather, born in 1888, and given the Marlin 1892 I mentioned on his 16th birthday, was still alive when I was little. Summers at The Farm were a hoot.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Done

Post by COSteve »

Done
Last edited by COSteve on Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I have vivid memories of VJ night. Daddy got drunk and slept all night in the yard.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I never believed all that stuff on the back of the boxes. I sent off for a toy blowgun one time. It took a zillion box tops and a king's ransom in handling then I had to wait 3 lifetimes for it to get there. It worked ok but a piece of PVC pipe would have done just as well had I known about it at the time if there was PVC pipe back them.
Maybe I should read the back of my cereal boxes again. Oh yea, I don't eat cereal any more.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

When I was a kid their was nothing to exciting to read on a box of Quaker oats, man I got to hate the sight of that box
some times we got to spice it up with raisins & the ever present maple syrup, still like the maple syrup but haven't had
oat meal in 50 years :lol:

Brad
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Brad, reminds me I haven't had a bowl of mush with milk, butter and brown sugar on it in quite some time. I liked it in small doses.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

HEY!! Me too! I forgot all about that. No wonder I like Yukon so much.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I recall as a kid my parents rarely bought boxed cereal, and when they did it was the cereal that came in either large boxes, or even plastic bags. Of course those cereals were never pre sweetened, and NEVER had a prize in the box. Disappointing as a kid, and we often begged our parents to buy us some sugary cereal with a prize inside. But it wasn't in the budget, so we piled heaping spoonfuls of sugar on whatever cheap cereal they bought. Probably not any better for us, but even with lots of sugar on it still way cheaper for them.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/