.41 COLT not too bad!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

.41 COLT not too bad!

Post by M. M. Wright »

I acquired this old Colt recently and since I had some 41s loaded up decided to try it. I load the hollow base bullet that I cast from pure lead over 4.5 grains of 231. I fired 2 cylinders from 15 yards using a two hand hold. Since the bore is .401 and I size the bullets .388 it's always amazing how well this works.
To me it's really ugly from all that gold plate but you can't do much about what people have done to these old pistols over the last 120 years. Yeah, it's from 1900 but the bore is shiny and a new set of Wolf springs made the action feel really good with a nice trigger of about 3 or 4 pounds. I like it.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .41 COLT not too bad!

Post by OldWin »

Nice! I hope to someday get a 4.75" Colt. I own 2, but they are both 5.5.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"Since the bore is .401 and I size the bullets .388 it's always amazing how well this works."

:shock: :?: :?: :?:

Tell me how that works....
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:32 pm "Since the bore is .401 and I size the bullets .388 it's always amazing how well this works."

:shock: :?: :?: :?:

Tell me how that works....
    The hollow base opens up and the bullet slugs up to fit the bore.
    This is the 480 Achilles heel bullet .. left unfired ... right fired .. note the increase in diameter
    475_base.JPG
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    Ray
    Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

That is an amazing group and as good as can be expected with the all inside the case hollow based bullet....With a heeled bullet with both hollow base and full diameter like the one Rev. Taylor shows you might do as well at 25 yds.

In an italian clone I use a blank .38 s & w cartridge and a .410" ball swaged in from the front in the percussion revolver fashion.....

Yes, they do shoot low loaded that way....
    m.A.g.a. !
    M. M. Wright
    Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Thanks Jim for that explanation. Doc, think Minie Ball. Colt originally used a heeled bullet but before the war (WWII) they changed to a hollow base bullet with the lube grooves inside the case. I have this Bisley which also digests the same load.
    NRA Life
    SASS
    ITSASS
    Ray
    Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

M. M. Wright wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:32 pm Thanks Jim for that explanation. Doc, think Minie Ball. Colt originally used a heeled bullet but before the war (WWII) they changed to a hollow base bullet with the lube grooves inside the case. I have this Bisley which also digests the same load.
    That is the most interesting sixgun I've seen in a long time.....do you know anything of its history ?
    m.A.g.a. !
    Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

In the 41 L. Colt my best accuracy came with the 200 gr. hollow base with black.

You can always just slip in a 38-40 cylinder and use that too.--6

KWK
    Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

M. M. Wright wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:32 pmI have this Bisley which also digests the same load.
    Nice looking Bisley. Do you shoot yours with the old style, bent elbow hold? Whenever I hold one at a store, I must if the gun is to point correctly for me.
    M. M. Wright
    Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Ray wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:53 pm
    M. M. Wright wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:32 pm Thanks Jim for that explanation. Doc, think Minie Ball. Colt originally used a heeled bullet but before the war (WWII) they changed to a hollow base bullet with the lube grooves inside the case. I have this Bisley which also digests the same load.
    That is the most interesting sixgun I've seen in a long time.....do you know anything of its history ?
    Not a lot but when I got it , it was wearing a Christy barrel and cylinder in 44 Special but had the original barrel and cylinder still with it. I sold the Christy parts to bring down what I had invested and returned it to 41 Long Colt. The guy I got it from is a long time friend and it belonged to his girlfriend who got it from her uncle, an old deputy in a neighboring county here. That's only the last 50 years or so and all I know.
    NRA Life
    SASS
    ITSASS