Rossi levergun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Rossi levergun

Post by 4t5 »

I'm a blue steel and walnut guy, but since Rossi's are not walnut, I'm open to stainless. Those that have a Rossi how (good or bad) is the wood , lookin to get a .357.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Rossi levergun

Post by AJMD429 »

I have a blued-barrel, 'brass' receiver, 45 Colt 24" octagonal that has the best looking wood of any firearm I've had in 50 years of owning guns, but MOST of the Rossi's have rather mundane stocks.

They ARE however, often better fitted to the metal than the contemporary leverguns of other makers.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

We have two a 44-40 and a .357 short rifle. both are older and have plain dark wood on them. The ones that Navy Arms carried have real walnut on them and are very nice.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

A couple of Rossi's I have owned had the typical featureless dark-brown wood -- until the heavy brown finish was stripped away, whereupon they proved to have some rather attractive grain.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Mine is an older (1980’s) version in 357/38, but plain dark wood also. It is a hoot to shoot after watching Nate Kiowa Jones video and a little parts swapping. At the LGS being threaded for a suppressor as we speak, err type.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Bought a Rossi Trapper .357, fine in all respects.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have 3, one is a gold toned receiver and has what appears to be nicely figured wood. The other is one of late '80s "Puma" and has plain wood. The other was imported by EMF and is one of their "Harford" CCH'd models... and has much fancier wood. Looks sorta like a tiger stripe. But all three are dark.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

I only have a 16" 45 Colt model, blued with Rainforest Mystery Wood stocks. Had the same configuration in 38/357 but sold it several years ago.

Somewhere in the web there's a chap's "How to make Rossi's Rainforest Mystery Wood look better". As I recall, it came out like a nice beech stock, so, nothing special.

The rifles themselves are solid,reliable, and accurate, but need some improvement. The loading gates are blood donation devices until stoned to take the edges off. Springs are stiffer than they need to be. Safeties are vile crimes against humanity.

Steve's Gunz has all you need, including video instruction, to make these rifles smooth and more aesthetically pleasing.
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Thanks for the reply's, gonna try to locate a few in my area.
Rumble.com/ hickock45
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

The stainless steel .357 I had was fine but the forend was lighter in color than the stock. Still regret selling it.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Was just chatting with an elderly gent at the range yesterday who had a pair of Rossis. He had slicked them up using Nate Kiowa Jones's video instructions and they ran like butter. One had been chambered in .44-40, but the previous owner had not cleaned well after shooting black powder loads, so this fellow had his smith rebarrel it with a Green Mountain barrel and chamber it in .44 Special. I was envious watching him pump those Skeeter loads downrange.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I have an older one that I bought at a show years ago. It has a light colored strait grained hardwood of some sort. The finish is a little on the glossy side, kinda like a Browning, but consistent and looks nice. I had Nate work it over as it would shoot .357s fine but would flip a .38 Spl out of the action if you cycled it too quickly. Shoots both perfectly now and surprisingly accurate. Thanks for reminding that I haven't had it out for awhile. :D
The new Marlin has kinda taken it's place as a favorite woods walking carbine.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

I have and have had many Rossi 92s over the years. Currently I think I have 5.
One of them is my absolute go to lever gun. Its a Hartford Model in .45 Colt and is a tack driver. I can pick this gun up at any given time and know that within 100 yards I can hit anything I aim at. Haven't tried to push it further but I am sure I could make do with it further out also.

Like any of the 92s, they are handy, easy to use and the perfect all around size for most anything on the Ranch/Farm.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

DocRock wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:29 amThe rifles themselves are solid,reliable, and accurate, but need some improvement. The loading gates are blood donation devices until stoned to take the edges off. Springs are stiffer than they need to be. Safeties are vile crimes against humanity.
SO TRUE....!

With parts swaps from Steve's Gunz, all my Rossi's are great guns though, and I'd not trade them for any other brands in terms of the function and use I get from them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gbflyer
Levergunner

Post by gbflyer »

Also a fan. They do need Stevesgunz treatment. He seems like a real gentleman on the DVD. Replace the plastic follower and follow his directions. You’ll have a fine shooter. Mine have the mystery wood. I chemically stripped the .357 then oiled with Watco dark walnut. It looks nice. I left the .45 Colt alone, it’s Puma stamped and looks good as is.
ethang
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ethang »

Mine is a few years old but a good soak in hot water took off the factory "finish". Then I put a hand rubbed linseed oil finish on it and it looks pretty good. It is very relaxing on a cold winter day to put another hand rubbed coat on.