Marlin (Remington) 308MX question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TX50Cal
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin (Remington) 308MX question

Post by TX50Cal »

I have an excellent condition Marlin (Remington) 308MX. Gun has been fired very little, bluing and wood excellent, no barrel droop, made in 2011. I just don't use it and am thinking about selling it and would like to know a ballpark price to put on it. I know everyone wants a JM but I'd put the build of this one against some of the last made JM's.
Thanks,
TX Dave
MA1 USN (Retired)
Freedom is never really free, payments come due in every generation.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Marlin (Remington) 308MX question

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Have looked on Gun Broker to see what they are bid up to, or look at the final selling prices.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

TX50Cal wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:56 am I have an excellent condition Marlin (Remington) 308MX. Gun has been fired very little, bluing and wood excellent, no barrel droop, made in 2011. I just don't use it and am thinking about selling it and would like to know a ballpark price to put on it. I know everyone wants a JM but I'd put the build of this one against some of the last made JM's.
Thanks,
TX Dave
Unfortunately, because of the shoddy reputation on remlins, you will always get a lower price than a JM. For me, it would be a $500. gun and frankly, I would hold out and pay more for a JM. I am shooting a JM XLR in .308 ME myself. As the chambering is not easy to find, you might move it though.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Since there were no pre Remington in .308MX you don't have to worry about people comparing yours to others made by Marlin. There's a wide variety of price ranges, and it depends on condition, and whether it's scoped or iron sights. They seem to range between $750-$1000 for nice guns.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

According to Wikipedia the .308 Express was developed in '07 . I bought My 338Mx in '09 or early '10 . Your Remlin was probably made up of leftover parts by Remington after the buyout. if it has no barrel droop it's good to go . I bet it wouldn't last long on Marlin owners classifieds. here is a post about the .308 from '07. https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/308- ... 08-mx.html
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The .308 MX was indeed first announced in 2007, but I've never seen one that was built under Marlin ownership. I suppose if one showed up it might be worth a good premium since they're either extremely rare, or non existent.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Barrel droop? Never heard of that. Can somebody elaborate on that or point me in the right direction?

TIA

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:49 pm Barrel droop? Never heard of that. Can somebody elaborate on that or point me in the right direction?

TIA

Joe
+1 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Pretty sure I saw barrel droop in the cartoons when I was a kid. :P
Have you hugged your rifle today?
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I am wondering about it. Not sure how it could happen without a long thin barrel and getting it red hot. I have heard stories about it happening during military wartime firefights, but never seen any pictures.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For whatever reasons, leverguns are notorious for having barrels not fully parallel to the receiver's axis. Not sure why, or maybe we just notice it more easily. I had a levergun years ago that required the rear sight be way off to the side. It was deadly accurate though; just looked funny to have the sight so far to the side. Maybe it had 'sideways barrel droop'...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I personally don't think such a thing as "barrel droop" exists unless the gun went through a fire. I have seen some gun barrels that went through poor manufacturing processes and were bent, or had bores drilled off center. But those are the result of poor workmanship, and poor quality control. Both avoidable, but not caused by drooping.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Wow this is old news :lol: , Barrel droop has been a hot topic on Marlin owners since 2009 when Marlin botched the machining on hundreds of receivers on the .308 and .338 rifles. the .338's were mostly affected. some were very bad, some not to the same degree. many owners sent them back to Remington after the takeover and they put the barrels on new receivers with the Remington serial # on the left side. It's all on Marlin owners for everybody to read.