Henry Golden Boy vs Winchester 9422

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
magnet54
Levergunner

Henry Golden Boy vs Winchester 9422

Post by magnet54 »

I've posted several threads and responses on the Winchester Facebook page after just buying a Golden Boy while passing on a good condition Winchester 9422 from the same shop. They both cost the same, $500, a good price for the XTR 9422 compared with the stratospheric prices on Gunbroker. The Winchester people acknowledge the Henry's smooth action and accuracy, but maintain that the 9422 is the better quality gun because of its all-steel machined parts. Unlike for their center fire guns, Henry employs painted alloy for the receiver covers in their rimfires, which some derisively call "pot metal." More disturbing is their claim that some of the internal parts are pot metal as well. The actual receiver of Henry's "small game" .22 rifle isn't steel either; ie, it doesn't pass the magnet test (I own it as well as the Golden Boy). There's nothing wrong with a good alloy - aluminum can be mighty durable as I know from my 11-year old Trek road bike - but I'm wondering how durable the Zamak (an alloy composed of zink, aluminum, copper, et al) that Henry uses in their guns really is.

By the way, I chose the Golden Boy over the Winchester for two main reasons: Henry's excellent company support and the fact that the Winchester (manufactured in 1982) was a used gun that I couldn't test before purchase. Should there be a problem, I'd be forced to chase down a competent gunsmith to fix it.

If anyone here here has insight into the materials and manufacturing that goes into Henry's RIMFIRE rifles, I'd love to hear it.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Henry Golden Boy vs Winchester 9422

Post by gamekeeper »

I have an early Winchester 9422 and have owned a couple of 9422Ms also I once had the forerunner of the Henry, the German built Erma 73. They are all excellent .22 rifles.
The late Denis Prisbrey known here as DPris, conducted an endurance test on the Henry Golden Boy. The test was extensive to say the least, 28,000 rounds and not cleaned till 22,000 rounds, if you do a search for it and have lots of time to read it all you will be very impressed with your new Golden Boy. :D I'm with you when it comes to Henry's after sales service, 5 star.

By the way welcome to the fire 🔥
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
gbflyer
Levergunner

Post by gbflyer »

I like the Golden Boy but it never fit me. I have the lever action frontier octagon Henry. It is cheaply built reminds me of a Daisy air rifle. It shoots and functions fine. It is not even in the same zip code as the 9422 in terms of heirloom quality. My Dad had one when I was a kid. No checkering and beautiful wood. After a break-in, it now lives in Mexico somewhere. :evil:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a Henry H001. I have never tried a 9422, so I cannot compare or contrast them. I like the Henry. It is reliable and accurate. It cycles shorts, longs, long rifle, rat shot, Aguilla Colibri, and Stingers without any issue at all. I have not tried CB cap in it because I cannot find any. The Colibri rounds are silent and accurate for 25 yards or more. An opossum was eating persimmons under the tree in my back yard a couple of months ago. One Colibri round in its right side butt was enough to convince it to vacate the area. At night using a flashlight it hit exactly where I was aiming.

I used the Henry at a range to teach a young lady who is now an RN how to shoot. She now has her own Henry.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
shrps+74
Levergunner

Post by shrps+74 »

I now have two H001TLBs....I shoot lever gun silhouette....I shot a 39a for years (made Master Class with it). I haven't shot the 39 since I got the first TLB(Frontier Long Barrel). I did some work on the trigger on both the TLBs....and yeah, I've shot against a few guys that have 9422s...All I can say is the TLBs have a much better sight radius (I have Williams FR target sights on both, as well as the 39), are very accurate, and I have over 4K rounds thru the 1st and over 2.5K rounds thru the 2nd, what really sells it, is that if I get beat, its usually against a good friend of mine shooting a TLB...never against a 9422. I guess you could say that I don't buy any firearm for looks or for whoever may end up with it after I'm gone..(except I have an M1a NM that goes to my brother, since he qualified with a M14 when he went into the Marines in '67).
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I have a 9422, and a 9422M. I can't compare them to the Henry 22s, but I can tell you that the 9422s, for me, are such that I sent 3 Marlin 39s down the road, and don't miss them.
I think those little Henry youth model .22s are the berries, and might get one someday...
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV