talk me of Weatherby rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

talk me of Weatherby rifle

Post by JNG »

First I might have weatherby spelling(I went to Dayton public schools).
Why? no need
Cool yes
Recoil..unknown
no use...yes
Joe
bikerbeans
Levergunner 1.0

Re: talk me of Weatherby rifle

Post by bikerbeans »

What clambering? If it is 460 WBY it will put a whopping on ya and you will go broke shooting factory ammo. You would however get huge man points at your range.

BB
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

Not sure what you want to know about Weatherby rifles, I purchased a Weatherby Back Country rifle last year, 6.5 Creedmoor caliber.........so far I really like it.
Weatherby rifles are made by Howa in Japan.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I’ve owned three rifles chambered for Weatherby cartridges 257 , 270 and 300 Weatherby cartridges but none were in a Mark V or Vanguard . We had an older Mark V in 257 Weatherby at the shop I’d loved to have gotten but it wasn’t for sale just in got maintanence .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

What do you want to know? Except for the 22 Varmint Master and the 240 I've shot them all and loaded for most...I'm currently loading for a buddies .378...the worst kicker of them all......I've seen deer shot with the 257, 7mm, 270 and the 300.....they drop like a sack of potatoes and as far as I'm concerned are all overpowered for deer. Shooting a deer with any Weatherby above 240 is like shooting a squirrel with a 30-30.......The 340 is another wicked one...

Most of them shoot like a laser beam out to 3-350.

They are hunting rifles..period

Back in the day, walking around with a Weatherby was a mark of status and if you ran into another hunter with a California Weatherby, you knew that guy had money. Today, if you know Weatherby's and you run into another guy with a California Weatherby in .257, you will do what you can to separate that guy from his rifle...your emotions will send your bp sky high..
You will invite him to your camp for dinner and quality bourbon and some knock out drugs...(it probably won't be your camp)

I've never owned one and consider them over powered unless you handload them to normal velocities but if your hunting in a busy part of the woods and don't want your deer to be claimed by someone else, use a Weatherby....bang! Lights out---6
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:13 pm What do you want to know? Except for the 22 Varmint Master and the 240 I've shot them all and loaded for most...I'm currently loading for a buddies .378...the worst kicker of them all......I've seen deer shot with the 257, 7mm, 270 and the 300.....they drop like a sack of potatoes and as far as I'm concerned are all overpowered for deer. Shooting a deer with any Weatherby above 240 is like shooting a squirrel with a 30-30.......The 340 is another wicked one...

Most of them shoot like a laser beam out to 3-350.

They are hunting rifles..period

Back in the day, walking around with a Weatherby was a mark of status and if you ran into another hunter with a California Weatherby, you knew that guy had money. Today, if you know Weatherby's and you run into another guy with a California Weatherby in .257, you will do what you can to separate that guy from his rifle...your emotions will send your bp sky high..
You will invite him to your camp for dinner and quality bourbon and some knock out drugs...(it probably won't be your camp)

I've never owned one and consider them over powered unless you handload them to normal velocities but if your hunting in a busy part of the woods and don't want your deer to be claimed by someone else, use a Weatherby....bang! Lights out---6
Have you fooled much with the 300-378 or the 338-378 ? I’ve not but I’ve sold a few of both . It’s my understanding you can get a skoosh more velocity out of the 338-378 then you can from the 338 Lapua with the same weight bullets .
DocRock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DocRock »

No. I refuse.

But what rifle - Vanguard or Mark V or something like the new Ti? What chambering, a conventional or a Weatherby proprietary.

The Vanguard is a Howa 1500 barreled action in a Weatherby spec stock. The stocks tend to be a little stiffer than the Hogue synthetics on Howas. The rifles are a little heavier than the competition and are good value for money, with the Vanguard 2 having a sub-MOA guaranty.

The Mark V has been made in Germany by Sauer, by Howa, and now by ATEK in MN, with final assembly by Westherby in Sheridan WY, with nine lug actions for the Weather Magnums and 6 lug actions for the "lesser" Weatherbys and conventional cartridges. The new Ti is essentially a Mark V action.

I have several - a Weatherby SAS 12ga (Valtro, Italy), an SA08 20ga (made by one of the Turks), and a Vanguard 1 in 270 Win (Howa). All great and reliable. I had an issue with the SAS 12 ga losing the bolt handle years after it went out of production. Called to buy a new handle and they wouldn't hear of it. Sent me two FOC.

So, I refuse. Instead, I urge you to move forward, full speed ahead.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

I am thinking in a .257. No true need .223 or .243 works fine...but..
I got a itch.

Joe
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I have an itch for the .257 as well, but not a lot of use for it. I'd go with one of the Vanguards. Also intrigued by the 6.5 Weatherby RPM.
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

U need it; because you load it from 45 auto to hot 45 Colt to light and hot 45/70 levels.... todd3/leg
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

6pt-sika wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:43 pm.
On the 30-378 or the 338-378.....nope.....a friend had a 30-378 and I laughed as this guy knows guns but has a huge ego.....I told him there's virtually no use for such a cartridge unless your 1,000 yard benchrest shooting or hunting antelope at 500 yds.....or more. :D He shot five rds and then told me..."man! That thing kicks and has all kinds of muzzle blast".....he sold it.

These cartridges do have a purpose but common sense will tell you it's limited....even in a 30 pound rail gun for 1,000 yd shooting it's gonna burn up a barrel in a couple of hundred rds.

I consider the 30-378 and like cartridges like the Remington line of Rum and the Winchester line of SSM nothing more than a reason to make 20,000 rifles for niche buyers and to pay the bills...but that's what America is all about...do what you like!

The guy I'm loading the 378 for is just for play.....loaded waaaayyy down for deer with faster burning powders....I'm even going to load him some 38-55 cast at 1,000 Fps....to impress his friends that he can shoot 20 rds of big 378 without stopping.... :D ---6
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

My 5 foot tall daughter shoots a Mark V 7mm Weatherby Magnum - 5/8 inch groups at 100 yards and death on any game within 500 yards.
Her first time out in Montana , she dropped a nice mulie buck with first shot at 400 yards, much to the satisfaction of her guide. He actually ran 1/2 mile to where I was hunting to tell me. She and my wife are good shots with rifle and shotgun - and do not get into a pistol accuracy contest with my wife!

There is a place for long range hunting rifles, and there is no good substitute when needed. But I do not own such a rifle.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

JNG wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:16 am I am thinking in a .257. No true need .223 or .243 works fine...but..
I got a itch.

Joe
Dont why I thought you were thinking 460. But, 257 is a great caliber, always wanted too.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:24 am I have an itch for the .257 as well, but not a lot of use for it. I'd go with one of the Vanguards. Also intrigued by the 6.5 Weatherby RPM.
I did the 257 Weatherby in a special run Remington 700 CDL fluted and it drove tacks with my handloads . I first saw mention of the 6.5mm-300 Weatherby about 72 or 73 in a Gun Digest . There was an article about the cartridges used for 1,000 yard competition in Williamsport PA . When Weatherby decided to legitimize the 6.5-300 I had just built a 26 Nosler or I most likely would have bought a Weatherby Mark V Accumark in 6.5-300 Weatherby and I still might LOL’s !
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

6pt, the intriguing thing with the Weatherby 6.5 RPM is that it is closer to the 6.5 PRC than to the 6.5-.300. I am afraid it may be so specialized that it will be hard to find brass for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms-Br1ImqQs
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:11 pm 6pt, the intriguing thing with the Weatherby 6.5 RPM is that it is closer to the 6.5 PRC than to the 6.5-.300. I am afraid it may be so specialized that it will be hard to find brass for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms-Br1ImqQs
I have that already covered with the 6.5 Sherman Short Magnum that’s based on the SAUM case . But I thought you had meant the 6.5-300 Weatherby .
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Great guns IF you buy non Weatherby calibers. In Weatherby calibers they'll eat up your gun fund money quickly. Everything exclusive to Weatherby is spendy.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The first time I ever saw a Weatherby rifle it was about 1972 or 73 in a movie called ALASKAN SAFARI, which I wish I could find again somehow. When I actually saw the rifle the 2 things that turned me off the most were the stock finish and the design of the stock it's self. I hope you find what you like.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.