Ruger 57 5.7 x 28 mm

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Ruger 57 5.7 x 28 mm

Post by daisygordoninc »

Ruger has a new pistol out, you likely have seen it already. I am completely unfamiliar with the 5.7 x 28 mm.
What would that caliber be used for, do any of you have experience with it ? Is it a rifle round as well ?
I think it holds 20 rounds, maybe that is one of the interesting things about it. Would it be a self defense round ?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Ruger 57 5.7 x 28 mm

Post by AJMD429 »

I was wanting a 9mm 1911, and got a Rock Island Arsenal double-stack that cam with a '22 TCM' barrel and spring.

THAT is a great and fun cartridge, and perhaps has potential for a CCW round for those who might not mind a full-size firearm, but want less recoil and an easy-to-retract slide, but don't mind the loud muzzle-blast. Certainly there is a potential for hunting and of course target-shooting.

I think this is similar.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Self defense as a last resort type pistol JIMO, followed it when FN first brought it out, talked with the few Pd's that tried it, and a few Officers who tried it, The P90 gets some respect, but the pistols are no go, its a fun target puncher and in the little 16" Contender I have the soft point load has worked on yotes out to 1oo yards as long as I do my part with wind and such. Now all that means a hill of beans to any one else,

I would keep an eye on it, its either CCI or Hornady that is coming out with a billet along their self defense line in 9mm, and there is something to be said for quantity during a firefight
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

FN brought their people to the gun club I used to belong close to Factoryville PA back in 2004 . They had pistols and bull pup type fully autos . FN and several other companies were doing a show for the local and semi local law enforcement. Anyway they shot a bunch of 5.7x28 and I was given a handful of the fired brass . I always thought it would be neat in a little bolt action rifle . Later I acquired an FN pistol in 5.7x28 with six boxes of ammo when it was hard to get . Anyway there were six full boxes and an opened box with about thirty left . I shot the remainder of the open box then sold the whole mess on GB . Kinda intresting at first but it didn’t hold my attention .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

AJMD429 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:47 pm I was wanting a 9mm 1911, and got a Rock Island Arsenal double-stack that cam with a '22 TCM' barrel and spring.

THAT is a great and fun cartridge, and perhaps has potential for a CCW round for those who might not mind a full-size firearm, but want less recoil and an easy-to-retract slide, but don't mind the loud muzzle-blast. Certainly there is a potential for hunting and of course target-shooting.

I think this is similar.
I’ve got a bit of experience with the RIA 9mm/22TCM having fires new ones at the Armsco range in Davao Philippines. And I think I wanna get the combo gun for the boss , she had no problem handling the 9mm RIA 1911 and the 22 TCM as well . Although I found the 22 TCM to be extremely LOUD .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

No experience with it. The listed specs do not sound all that amazing. In a pistol, it does not sound as if it would be all that great. It was used by Major Nadal Hassan in the FN pistol to murder some soldiers at Ft. Hood a few years back.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

FN developed the 5.7x28 in conjunction with their P90 Personal Defense Weapon, a very compact bullpup-type carbine. It has met with some success with a number of military and security services such as the Secret Service. This is in a 16" barrel, of course, but even in a shorter pistol barrel it has impressive ballistics. In fact, I believe Hornady is now making a softpoint round specifically designed for effective use in a handgun. There really hasn't been enough experience yet acquired in this role to make a judgement on how well it works, but the concept seems sound, and the ability to have 20 rounds in a compact, light-recoiling weapon is certainly attractive.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

We sold a few of the FN pistols when I worked part-time at Sportsman's. The buyers seemed to like them. At one point there was a rumor that cartridge was developed for air marshals with the idea the frangible bullets would not penetrate the skin of a commercial aircraft. I don't know if that is true. I wouldn't choose this cartridge for self defense, myself.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

A bit of info/videos on the 5.7x28; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6QH13 ... ery=5.7x28
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Pretty informative video. I like the way he showed what and why. If he would have used a trigger pull gauge, it would have been better. Showing the trigger movement was useful.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost