.358 win / BLR doesn't feed handgun bullets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BeeKay
Levergunner

.358 win / BLR doesn't feed handgun bullets

Post by BeeKay »

I bought a BLR in .358 Winchester, a few months ago and I'm finally getting around to firing it this weekend.

I already have a .308 BLR and I like it and I thought it might be good to get a .358 Win, because of the possibility that I could throw together loads with handgun bullets for economical plinking that might double as a close range hunting load.

I loaded up some cases to get ready for the range and the .357 / 158 gr SWCs don't feed at all
The .357 / 158 gr JHPs jam about 50% of the time.
Rifle bullets feed fine.

Anyhow what, if anythying are .358 BLR shooters doing? Shooting just rifle bullets?
I see a fair amount of load data for handgun bullets in the .358, But for myself it's out of the question when every other one jams.

Anyone have any experiences to share on that?

It's a difficult project to do any cleanup work on the feed ramp on that gun

Thanks greatly in advance - As Always
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: .358 win / BLR doesn't feed handgun bullets

Post by Tycer »

I’ve had four 358s. They were all sucky with flat nosed bullets. They all rip a groove in my cast spire points. I’ve not yet determined a fix. I will someday.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
BeeKay
Levergunner

Post by BeeKay »

Yep - I have the .308 in Takedown, and I thought it would be awesome to have a .358 and shoot handgun bullets, just to have some budget handloads that are 1/3 the cost of factory.
My .358 scratches the heck out of the jacket and the brass when it feeds. No matter what bullet I use, but it's worse with the handgun bullets.
I was sort of disaappointed.
I may get a .358 Takedown anyhow just because it's 100 times easier to get in there and deburr and polish the feed ramp.
The Std model would require removing the bolt.
The Stainless .358 Takedowns have been unavailable for a while, but the Browning website still lists them as a current model.
I sent them an Email and got a reply, saying that they'd be available beginning the last week of April if things remain on schedule.
Last edited by BeeKay on Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Single feed the rounds.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Old Savage wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:07 pm Single feed the rounds.
Right........if that's all your doing is plinking or target shooting it's no big deal...you can also buy cast bullets or cast em yourself....I shoot Savage 99's in 358, 1895 Winchesters in 35 wcf, Remington 141's and 14's in 35 Rem. And they all get fed 200 gr and 250 gr cast riflebullets with gas checks....can shoot all day for $10.

So that's your choices...single load, cast bullets or you can buy jacketed bullets. You figure, a decent Browning BLR in 358 has got to be pushing a grand so it's not as if another $100 for 500 jacketed bullets is gonna break the bank.---6
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Does the .357 mag rifle feed both .38 and 357 ammo?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
BeeKay
Levergunner

Post by BeeKay »

crs wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:34 pm Does the .357 mag rifle feed both .38 and 357 ammo?
Those are tube fed not box mag. That makes a difference.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

BeeKay wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:00 pm Yep -
I was sort of disaappointed.
Me too. Very.
Still love the gun though. I can hit a paper plate at 250 yards all day with the 180s, 200s, and the 225s. Haven’t found a great load for the 250s
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
BeeKay
Levergunner

Post by BeeKay »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:09 pm
Old Savage wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:07 pm Single feed the rounds.
Right........if that's all your doing is plinking or target shooting it's no big deal...you can also buy cast bullets or cast em yourself....I shoot Savage 99's in 358, 1895 Winchesters in 35 wcf, Remington 141's and 14's in 35 Rem. And they all get fed 200 gr and 250 gr cast riflebullets with gas checks....can shoot all day for $10.

So that's your choices...single load, cast bullets or you can buy jacketed bullets. You figure, a decent Browning BLR in 358 has got to be pushing a grand so it's not as if another $100 for 500 jacketed bullets is gonna break the bank.---6
Looking back on my reasons for choosing a BLR .358 : One of the reasons was as a survival rifle that is suitable as a 'Do Everything Survival Tool' In the event of catastrophic failure of our infrastructure and inavailability of pretty much everything... What I hoped for was a repeating rifle that I could load with cast bullets and home made powder, in a truly desperate scenario.
The case capacity is enough that it would fire cast bullets using crushed match heads, providing you have pimers (I've seen a video of someone doing that and even recycling old primers)... But the repeating part would be lacking, due to the inability to feed.
Oh Well... The BLR lacks that versatility
I'll have to figure something else out for that... Like being sure I have jacketed rifle bullets, or single feed.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

BeeKay wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:17 pm
Looking back on my reasons for choosing a BLR .358 : One of the reasons was as a survival rifle that is suitable as a 'Do Everything Survival Tool' In the event of catastrophic failure of our infrastructure and inavailability of pretty much everything... What I hoped for was a repeating rifle that I could load with cast bullets and home made powder, in a truly desperate scenario.
The case capacity is enough that it would fire cast bullets using crushed match heads, providing you have pimers (I've seen a video of someone doing that and even recycling old primers)... But the repeating part would be lacking, due to the inability to feed.
I'll have to figure something else out for that... Like being sure I have jacketed rifle bullets, or single feed.
Ok...if that's your reason...good choice...but don't go as far crushing match heads......get yourself a military ammo can...like the big ones that rockets come in... might set ya back $40......buy 5,000 primers...to how many you want ...of various sizes, an 8 pounder of Unique and 5,000 bullet heads of various sizes for your 358 and a 357 magnum handgun....a mess of brass for each gun.........Unique will work for ANY cartridge...you may not get blistering velocity but you'll get 1500 out of anything that can handle the pressure.......stash it......

Or you can simplify it all and just buy a thousand rds of handgun ammo along with a mess of 358 ammo and stash that......

I keep thousands of rounds of ammo in many calibers...notably 7.62x39......223......45 auto.....38 Spl/357 mag.....9mm....most in sealed packaging that will last a hundred years...or more.....just for a "possible".....

Remember, if you don't keep the same in food and other necessities, your wasting your time......because the smart guy stays home in times of peril.....your best buddy will kill you in order to feed his kids.....---6
BeeKay
Levergunner

Post by BeeKay »

Well - I got to the range for the first time with the .358 and 44 gr of 4895 with a Speer 180 JSP worked well.
But I was pleasantly surprised that the 158 gr JSP handgun bullets, that wouldn't feed for me at home, started feeding just fine.
Those were over a powder charge of 24 gr of 4227. So I can play around with those for accuracy, next session, now that my scope is zeroed in.
BeeKay
Levergunner

Post by BeeKay »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:45 pm
BeeKay wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:17 pm
Ok...if that's your reason...good choice...but don't go as far crushing match heads......get yourself a military ammo can...like the big ones that rockets come in... might set ya back $40......buy 5,000 primers...to how many you want ...of various sizes, an 8 pounder of Unique and 5,000 bullet heads of various sizes for your 358 and a 357 magnum handgun....a mess of brass for each gun.........Unique will work for ANY cartridge...you may not get blistering velocity but you'll get 1500 out of anything that can handle the pressure.......stash it......

Or you can simplify it all and just buy a thousand rds of handgun ammo along with a mess of 358 ammo and stash that......

I keep thousands of rounds of ammo in many calibers...notably 7.62x39......223......45 auto.....38 Spl/357 mag.....9mm....most in sealed packaging that will last a hundred years...or more.....just for a "possible".....

Remember, if you don't keep the same in food and other necessities, your wasting your time......because the smart guy stays home in times of peril.....your best buddy will kill you in order to feed his kids.....---6
I have about 12 lb of powder and a good amount of that is Unique... 1000s of bullets and primers as well.
Your strategy is sound
I have no plan for crushing matcheads for rifle propellant... But in an extreme situation. it's good to know that option exists.
For some reason, my .358 changed it's mind and decided to feed handgun bullets... Not lead SWC, but jacketed
So that's a good thing. It opens the door for possibilities like; loads that will function below mach 1 for possible stealth - if necessary.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

BeeKay...I bet you CAN make those bullets feed.......play with seating depths and designs......no doubt the old 38 Spl 158 Gr RN or the 200 Gr. RN will work.....

Big mistake people make is thinking the cannelure is where it's supposed to be seated at. Invest in a Lee factory crimp die for your 358 and crimp it where YOU want to. :D ---6
BeeKay
Levergunner

Post by BeeKay »

Sixgun Sr wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:19 pm BeeKay...I bet you CAN make those bullets feed.......play with seating depths and designs......no doubt the old 38 Spl 158 Gr RN or the 200 Gr. RN will work.....

Big mistake people make is thinking the cannelure is where it's supposed to be seated at. Invest in a Lee factory crimp die for your 358 and crimp it where YOU want to. :D ---6
Definitely - I just ordered some bullets today that I'll be able to seat a bit further out.
Got some Speer 158 JHP and some XTP 158 and Berry's 158 for sub-sonic
I like my Lee factory crimp die too

I noticed that I was getting bad scratches in my cases and bullet jackets when I cycled some rounds through there.
I deburred my magazine with a diamond file and that problem was corrected.
Thanks for the positive input
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Your welcome......pictured below are purchased 200 grain round nose bullets that are the same kind that used to be standard in a variation of factory loaded 38 specials. I'm sure somebody sells them......dead soft staged ......put 6-7 grains of Unique, loose in the case, seat them out and LFC and they will sound like a dull twenty two rimfire that you can shoot out in the backyard.......about a thousand fps....yep, they would drop a deer or two legged varmint at close range. :D --6

BeeKay
Levergunner

Post by BeeKay »

Unique loose - Sounds easy.
I like that idea
LFC - Lee factory crimp, I take it?
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

BeeKay wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:41 am Unique loose - Sounds easy.
I like that idea
LFC - Lee factory crimp, I take it?
Yep....lee factory crimp...one of the best inventions in my 48 years of reloading.----6
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

6, I have about 15 years more than you and I agree, best reloading invention in my lifetime. Dillon 550 gets an honorable mention though.
MM
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS