B92 Centennial 1978 barrel-Hammerforged??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

B92 Centennial 1978 barrel-Hammerforged??

Post by cvarcher »

Does anyone know if the Browning B92 barrels which were made in Japan were Hammerforged or cut rifled or Button rifled? Would like to convert mine to 45colt.
Hobie

Re: B92 Centennial 1978 barrel-Hammerforged??

Post by Hobie »

IIRC they are button rifled. That is most likely any way for a Japanese company. I have a question. Why does that matter?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cvarcher »

Hobie, I spoke with Steve Young about the conversion and his machinist said if it was hammerforged he coulndt do a rebore .Im not interested in selling it to make money so I can get a Rossi in 45 colt. I want my Browning 92 to be a 45 colt.I want to use this gun as well. I am worried though if it doesnt turn out well. Nate said his machinist may have a spare 45 colt Miroku barrel but in a 24" non carbine length.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I looked down my B92 with a magnifying bore scope and it sure looked buttom rifled. There are companies that can contour a new barrel to match the barrel on the rifle. If it were mine and I wanted it in 45 colt, I'd get a barrel for the colt and set the 44 mag barrel aside. If I were ever forced to sell, it could go back to original.
cvarcher
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cvarcher »

Yeah I said that to Nate Kiwa also . The thing I dont get though is the 45 colt cartridge doesnt fall thru the top to sit on the elevator carriage. Theres like a narrowing on the sides like a rail that might have to be ground down. I dont know; if that was done if it could ever go back to 44. His machinist said if it was not hammerforged it could easily be rebored.I would think a Miroku 92 barrel in 45 colt should fit right in if they have these parts available. Mine is a Centennial version I think 1978