Winchester conversion

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Macm2020+
Levergunner

Winchester conversion

Post by Macm2020+ »

Hello, new to the site.
I have a win 71 and a big bore 94 that I have been thinking about convert to 416 Alaskan. The Big bore is a 375, so maybe a 375-348 there. Any thought and landmines to watch out for? I really don't NEED either, just want one.
Mike
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester conversion

Post by GunnyMack »

Welcome!
If you WANT it then be all means we wont get in your way!
Many here will put in their 2 cents !
I would recommend that you do your homework, make sure you find a Smith that has done this type of conversion, is willing to do it/ listen to your input.
We are waiting for a range report!! :D
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Yodar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yodar »

Please, leave that Winchester 71 alone!
daisygordoninc
Levergunner 2.0

Post by daisygordoninc »

Winchester 71s are too impressive to do anything to it, keep it, or sell it to me.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I would look into necking up a 307 , 356 case to 375. It should fuction through a 94 action.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Welcome.
The 416-348 Improved is a righteous cartridge. I would do the 375-348 AI
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Yodar wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 pm Please, leave that Winchester 71 alone!
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

In general I'm a huge advocate of folks doing what with their stuff.

However......

A winchester 71 in 348 is my all time dream gun. I'm hoping one day to be able to get one, and with the scarcity and price of them it would seem a DARN shame to go butchering one up.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

FLINT wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:18 am
Yodar wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:30 pm Please, leave that Winchester 71 alone!
THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!

In general I'm a huge advocate of folks doing what with their stuff.

However......

A winchester 71 in 348 is my all time dream gun. I'm hoping one day to be able to get one, and with the scarcity and price of them it would seem a DARN shame to go butchering one up.
I hear what you guys are saying, but I don’t see how a barrel swap is butchering a gun. It’s not like he’s drilling holes in the side of the receiver.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

I very much doubt that you can stuff any 348 based cased in a Big Bore. The 348 case was based off the 50 WCF and that big of a case just won't fit without a lot of hogging metal which would weaken the gun. The M71 will work in 416 but there are no readily available bullets that you would be able to use the crimp groove as they are meant for bolt rifles. I suppose you could use a custom Lee factory crimp die and smash the case mouth into the jacket but not ideal. I took a Browning 71 and converted it to 348AI back when I thought my old a*s could still climb mountains to hunt elk. Quite a stomper 250ge-2500+fps, 230gr-2600fps, 200ge-2700fps. I wish I hadn't done it as it is not near the cast bullet gun as it was before the conversion.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I've not heard of the 416 Alaskan. I have a 71 in 450 Alaskan. As was previously mentioned, the bullet selection in 416 may be an issue. There are many available bullets in .458 that work well in the 450 Alaskan that are fine for use in the tubular magazine.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Macm2020+
Levergunner

Post by Macm2020+ »

I guess I should have said I have 2 Model 71s. One a Winchester and one Browning.....the Browning is the one up for conversion. Not going to "Butcher" the Winchester. I will have to check the Big Bore 375 win and see if the 348 case will work, that is a thought that did not cross my small mind....I am getting older and can not chase anything up and down the mountains like I used to....I still try....again probable due to the small mind syndrome(old). Does any one know of a Smith still doing this kind of work?
Thanks
Mike
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

The case head/rim on the 348 is enormous being formed originally from the old 50-110 WCF. Not sure it will come anywhere near fitting in the 94.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.