This might be a good addition to your BOB

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

This might be a good addition to your BOB

Post by JimT »

If your Bug Out Bag don't have these you might want to consider adding ...
IMG_0655.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: This might be a good addition to your BOB

Post by Blaine »

Well.....Depends... :P
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

There's been a time or two . . .

Cat
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If you have the poise, they could give you some assurance. Briefly.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Good idea, but why wouldn't your BOB have a change of clothes?
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Where can I get a pair of those? I am so envious! :lol:
1894c

Post by 1894c »

JimT -- looking at your addition to one's Bug-Out-Bag makes me wonder why are people preparing to BUG-OUT, and if they are, where are they going to Bug-Out too...and if they arrive at said undisclosed secret Bug-Out location with their Bug-Out-Bag and .50-Cal what happens if a bunch of other Bug-Outees get their first?

I guess this is where a can of OFF comes in handy... :)
off-bug-spray-304419-64_1000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

1894c wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:14 pm JimT -- looking at your addition to one's Bug-Out-Bag makes me wonder why are people preparing to BUG-OUT, and if they are, where are they going to Bug-Out too...and if they arrive at said undisclosed secret Bug-Out location with their Bug-Out-Bag and .50-Cal what happens if a bunch of other Bug-Outees get their first?

I guess this is where a can of OFF comes in handy... :)
off-bug-spray-304419-64_1000.jpg
I don't have a Bug-Out-Bag ... but I hear folks talking about them. I never felt the need for one.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I'm with you on that. I used to think it was a cool idea, but short of a natural disaster of some sort, where are we bugging out to? I do keep a backpack in both trucks in case of an emergency with a 9mm auto, some essentials and a change of socks. There are days where I could be 100 miles from home. My current thoughts are that one is better off digging in and riding out whatever is going on. Massive storms, fires and flooding could displace you but that's why I live in Ohio. Not much happens here.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BEST way to live if Bad Stuff Happens ('BSH', since '$HTF' is censored)...

1. in a remote area with a community of close-knit, similar-values, rural, independent, people, with a variety of skills, in a resource-rich, reasonably-warm, area that is hard to get to without serious time, effort, or equipment....not many places like that in the U.S.

2. in an area other than above, but with a 'toe in the door' to the above community, via blood relative or solid agreement with fellow bug-outers.....hard to achieve unless you are lucky or wealthy or very organized, or all three. You'd have to have something to 'bring to the table' like a skill, or materials, to be welcome.

3. a reasonably-stable, rural community, fairly far from a major city....enough time to relocate to your place as with 1 or 2 above, OR unite with neighbors to try to fortify against the 'hordes of urbanites who head to the hills'.....the problem is that your neighbors may not be the 'team players' you hoped for, and last-minute organization is difficult under stress.

4. in an urban area, if you are a gang-banger type and already powerful or influential; you may be able to organize a team to go loot those who planned for 'survival' but who weren't powerful enough or organized enough, or had enough high-powered weaponry, to resist....not the ethical plan, but your DNA may be among that seeding the future planet Earth...

5. (most of us may be here) - in a suburban or rural area, but without any strong local sense of 'community', and/or without a strong geographic deterrence to attack, and/or without great and sufficient local resources for long-term survival.....we may not last long.....you can have a hundred guns, and a hundred thousand rounds of ammo, but without enough able bodies to guard a perimeter of a mile or so 24/7, you wouldn't last long in an apocalypse - so you'd need dozens and dozens of 'members' who were organized and equipped to protect the turf. Good luck....

None of this requires much 'theory' or 'futuristic' vision; just look at how things have been for the majority of human history - feudal systems or tribal systems formed with from 1,000 to 10,000 members, which were large enough to have resources, a strong defense team, and small enough to manage, seemed the most stable. Occasionally a huge organization formed uniting the smaller units via religious fervor, threats, or both. When the U.S. formed, firearms had become inexpensive and widely available, yet planes and rockets and electronics and satellites not existing, so for a brief instant in history, people were hard to oppress, and our government was set up to minimize that risk.

Anyway, the whole concept of 'bugging out' is romantic, and for some, possible, but most of us will have to sit-in-place, and accept what comes, which would likely be a thousand-strong force out of the Mad Max movies, raping and pillaging as they went. In the "One Second After" and other books by Forstchen, their combined knowledge of history and military force was well-illustrated, and showed what is most likely.

Young people with enough energy to 'go mobile', and those whose finances or organizational skills or 'networking' ability have enabled them to be in mode 1 or 2 above, will do well. The rest of us will likely choose between hiding and dying, or fighting and dying.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
gbflyer
Levergunner

Post by gbflyer »

AJMD429 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:51 pm BEST way to live if Bad Stuff Happens ('BSH', since '$HTF' is censored)...

1. in a remote area with a community of close-knit, similar-values, rural, independent, people, with a variety of skills, in a resource-rich, reasonably-warm, area that is hard to get to without serious time, effort, or equipment....not many places like that in the U.S.

2. in an area other than above, but with a 'toe in the door' to the above community, via blood relative or solid agreement with fellow bug-outers.....hard to achieve unless you are lucky or wealthy or very organized, or all three. You'd have to have something to 'bring to the table' like a skill, or materials, to be welcome.

3. a reasonably-stable, rural community, fairly far from a major city....enough time to relocate to your place as with 1 or 2 above, OR unite with neighbors to try to fortify against the 'hordes of urbanites who head to the hills'.....the problem is that your neighbors may not be the 'team players' you hoped for, and last-minute organization is difficult under stress.

4. in an urban area, if you are a gang-banger type and already powerful or influential; you may be able to organize a team to go loot those who planned for 'survival' but who weren't powerful enough or organized enough, or had enough high-powered weaponry, to resist....not the ethical plan, but your DNA may be among that seeding the future planet Earth...

5. (most of us may be here) - in a suburban or rural area, but without any strong local sense of 'community', and/or without a strong geographic deterrence to attack, and/or without great and sufficient local resources for long-term survival.....we may not last long.....you can have a hundred guns, and a hundred thousand rounds of ammo, but without enough able bodies to guard a perimeter of a mile or so 24/7, you wouldn't last long in an apocalypse - so you'd need dozens and dozens of 'members' who were organized and equipped to protect the turf. Good luck....

None of this requires much 'theory' or 'futuristic' vision; just look at how things have been for the majority of human history - feudal systems or tribal systems formed with from 1,000 to 10,000 members, which were large enough to have resources, a strong defense team, and small enough to manage, seemed the most stable. Occasionally a huge organization formed uniting the smaller units via religious fervor, threats, or both. When the U.S. formed, firearms had become inexpensive and widely available, yet planes and rockets and electronics and satellites not existing, so for a brief instant in history, people were hard to oppress, and our government was set up to minimize that risk.

Anyway, the whole concept of 'bugging out' is romantic, and for some, possible, but most of us will have to sit-in-place, and accept what comes, which would likely be a thousand-strong force out of the Mad Max movies, raping and pillaging as they went. In the "One Second After" and other books by Forstchen, their combined knowledge of history and military force was well-illustrated, and showed what is most likely.

Young people with enough energy to 'go mobile', and those whose finances or organizational skills or 'networking' ability have enabled them to be in mode 1 or 2 above, will do well. The rest of us will likely choose between hiding and dying, or fighting and dying.
I read Forstchen’s books also. I agree, probably very much how it would go. I live in remote SE AK and people think that this is the place to be on doomsday. We’ll die of scurvy. Nothing here but fish.
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I drive 52 miles to work every night through fairly sparsely populated areas. Mine is more of a get home bag. I have enough for three days.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I rarely am out of the metroplex for work. I don't need a bug out bag as much as I need a cell phone, and maybe, a lead acceleration device.
D. Brian Casady
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

piller wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:00 am I rarely am out of the metroplex for work. I don't need a bug out bag as much as I need a cell phone, and maybe, a lead acceleration device.
I have those, also. :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

A large blackout or even worse an EMP will make cell phones useless. The blackout in 2003 that hit the Northeast part of the county took out the cell towers as well. Power was only out for about 24 hours in our area, but the urbanites were already getting restless.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I don't think I'd "bug out" in a dooms day situation. I believe way too many people would "head for the hills" and although there's a lot of "hills" around So. Oregon, I think it would wind up a bit crowded. I used to live in earthquake country and was prepared for all that. My boat, moored just 4 miles from home had at least 2 weeks provisions (and a stainless steel pump 12 gauge). My home had supplies for mebbe 2-4 weeks food and water. But what I was proud of was my "get home from work" plan. I kept the keys for a Cat 910 loader which could climb over cars, around/over down bridges, through barricades, and get me home (I worked at a Heavy Equipment Repair shop). Firearms were handy almost every where I was/am and I have a "Just In Case" stash (about 1,000 rounds of 45 ACP for 3 guns, about the same for 9mm and 3 guns plus a couple battle rifles with a bunch of ammo)...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

Do they come in red flannel?
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't have a bug out bag either. I'm too old to leave, so why keep a bag? I'll stay here and defend what I have as long as possible.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If the worst that could happen does happen, a friend has some acreage not far away. I have used a forked peach tree stick and know where there is water not too far down. We could probably defend the place for a good while. Maybe not against a large mob, but we could make it where the few survivors would not be in any condition to take over anyplace else. Most people are not willing to shoot to kill. The Army has studied that. Those who are willing are seldom concerned with being accurate. If one person is in a fairly well protected area, they can usually hold off greater numbers by accuracy and willingness to end the life of the other person. It comes down to whether you are willing to end a life. It is not easy, and it is hard to live with after. Be sure that you can forgive yourself afterward. If not, you might not survive long if the world as we know it changes.
D. Brian Casady
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sorry for the thread drift. I am exhausted from 12 days in a row of work, and sometimes that lets repressed memories slip out.
D. Brian Casady