Black powder day.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Black powder day.

Post by Nath »

I wanted to end our gamebird season with a muzzleloader.
Torn between cap and flint I made a plan to use both.
1972 Pedersoli double in the morning. Pedersoli Indian trade gun in the afternoon.
Here are the photos.
IMG_20200131_120842_373.jpg
I bagged two but missed a real easy bird with both barrels! :roll:

No birds with the flinchlock.
Just a Wabbit but what a blast of a day. :D
IMG_20200131_185111_303.jpg
It has been a good year pheasant wise, 32 birds.

N.

Code brown.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Black powder day.

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Keep up the good work, Nathan. You are an inspiration as always. Don't be shy about posting more photos of your swell pup, either! 8)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:04 am Keep up the good work, Nathan. You are an inspiration as always. Don't be shy about posting more photos of your swell pup, either! 8)
:)
IMG_20200131_120842_375.jpg
N.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Glad to hear that you had a good season, especially with the muzzle loaders. 8) 8) 8) As I write there are five hen pheasants feeding on the wild bird food I put out, they know they are safe now... :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:07 am Glad to hear that you had a good season, especially with the muzzle loaders. 8) 8) 8) As I write there are five hen pheasants feeding on the wild bird food I put out, they know they are safe now... :wink:
Hi John. I have some wild bred birds coming to my back yard too. It's nice to see them.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

32- that's a good season ! Jess looks like she was enjoying herself, what dog wouldnt enjoy a romp through the fields!?!

Sure wish some of our escaped birds would survive and reproduce but we have so many hawks, owls, fox & coyotes!!

I was lucky enough yesterday to have an honest double, well more of a report pair but the Mighty 28 ga put them both down.

Keep the pictures coming Nath!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looking good Nath! :D
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The farmers in Southwest Kansas are cutting the stubble from the wheat and milo fields for use in making alcohol for industrial and vehicular use. It leaves practically no ground cover, and the dustbowl is returning. That has caused the pheasant population to decline sharply. When I was a teenager, it was common to be able to get pheasant up to the State Game Commission limit and still have plenty of them around. Now they are scarce. Cover and concealment is important for survival and growth of the species. Some Counties are being considered for a ban on pheasant hunting due to low numbers. Not leaving enough ground cover on the sand of Western Kansas is ruining what was once great pheasant hunting.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

piller wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:27 pm The farmers in Southwest Kansas are cutting the stubble from the wheat and milo fields for use in making alcohol for industrial and vehicular use. It leaves practically no ground cover, and the dustbowl is returning. That has caused the pheasant population to decline sharply. When I was a teenager, it was common to be able to get pheasant up to the State Game Commission limit and still have plenty of them around. Now they are scarce. Cover and concealment is important for survival and growth of the species. Some Counties are being considered for a ban on pheasant hunting due to low numbers. Not leaving enough ground cover on the sand of Western Kansas is ruining what was once great pheasant hunting.
Habitat is vital. Varmints second to that. It is a shame for you. Do you have any of the grouse species?
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Not anymore.
D. Brian Casady
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

piller wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:55 amNot anymore.
:(
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Nath wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:08 am
Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:04 am Keep up the good work, Nathan. You are an inspiration as always. Don't be shy about posting more photos of your swell pup, either! 8)
:)

IMG_20200131_120842_375.jpg

N.
Man's best friend, truly!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sage grouse, a desert species used to do well out there, but with the farming and red winter wheat being grown, the habitat is gone.
D. Brian Casady
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Nath wrote:"It has been a good year pheasant wise, 32 birds." I have commented on this before I have all of the Guns and also have a Pedersoli SxS and since retired .....Time..... but no wild birds anymore. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: .......